Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When I purchased my laptop at a department store in Philippines, it came with Windows 7 pro already installed.  But it is a pirated copy.

I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using a product key that I found on the Internet.  Now I have Windows 10 Pro as a pirated copy in that I cannot "activate it"  I should have left the Windows 7 pirated copy alone.  Dang Philippines, even the department store sells pirated software, but I already figured out that it was.

So now I am wondering what to do.  How long will this 'pirated' version of Windows 10 Pro work for?  How can I fix it without spending hundreds to buy a paid version with a product key?  

Yes Bob, I know you will reccomend Ubuntu and I just might have to say:  Screw you Windows, I'm going Ubuntu.  But I hesitate to learn a new operating system.

EDIT:  Is it possible and practical to install Ubuntu on this laptop while still operating Windows 10 and have both operating systems on here?

Right now, Dave, I couldn't say... Windows 8 took a lot to set up a dual boot and most guys going it impossible to set up... I'll have to look a little further into it for Windows 10... If it's possible, change the desktop to the light version and it looks very much like XP... Incidentally, I've been using my phone or tablet the most lately and my Mac when I'm writing...

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

turn off the dreaded windows updates and it microsoft wont know its a pirate copy !!

How do you do that with Windows 10? Is it even possible?

I don't use Windows so I can't confirm this BUT all reports say Windows 10 come with the Security Center set to On and difficult to change to your own virus protection, etc... Maybe a user can confirm this?

Just to add... Windows Security and Updates are now tied together internally...

Edited by i am bob

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As for Abuntu yes I have that also , and I also have android which I love !! and yes on my dell laptop ! I can send details if needed )

What I want is to be sure my laptop will still start if Windows 10 crashes.   So, if you have other operating systems like these, do you get the choice of which one to boot up when you turn on the laptop?

Anytime you set up a multi-boot on a computer, initial start up takes you to a screenscreen where you select which OS you want to use...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

turn off the dreaded windows updates and it microsoft wont know its a pirate copy !!

How do you do that with Windows 10?  Is it even possible?

I'm sorry but you have used your quota for questions today... Please come back after 24 hours and try asking again...

I'll look into it and see what I can find on dual booting win10...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

How do you do that with Windows 10?  Is it even possible?

I'm sorry but you have used your quota for questions today... Please come back after 24 hours and try asking again...

I'll look into it and see what I can find on dual booting win10...

OK, I keep dropping out for some reason... Sorry answer - yes, it's quite easy to set up... If you want instructions on how to do it, let me know... Also I recommend you go to the Ubuntu page and check it out to see if you like it... Also check out the other versions of Ubuntu... You may like the one with the lighter desktop which looks like Windows XP... Or Ubuntu Studio if you're into making videos, recording music (studio), or a few other things similar...

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why are people downloading windows 10 when microsoft will install it for you? 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I just got my notice from M$ that my download copy from M$ was ready .... the download took from 6:30pm till sometime in the wee hours of the morning .... installed it this morning and have been playing with it ever since .... to be perfectly honest I for one love it ..... BUT you need to be very careful what you click on and agree to as it is full of stuff giving M$ permission to do and download from your PC stuff I never even heard of .... but unlike before you can opt out of just about all of it or turn it off .....

Looks like most of the bloatware that comes with Win 10 can be deleted if you chose to except some of the programs that have grayed out icons like pictures .... and some others that I can't think of off hand .... I have my own programs and don't need theirs ....

By the way if you installed the Shell Start Menu to make Win 8 look like Win 7 like I did .... and want to remove it be sure you look at their website on how to do it as it could screw up you task-bar and you'll have to go into your registry to fix it .... FYI

Bob ------ I'm using Malwarebytes on my Win 10 as we speak and there appears to be no problems YET ..... the security features like firewall and others can be set to off ..... only thing I don't like is I haven't been able to set my updates to "Let me choose which updates to install" but the "when to install updates" is much much improved as you can even choose to update the next day ..... it gives you a date and time setting ....

Yuppers .... so far I'm thrilled with it and it has played nicely with ALL my previously installed programs ..... which by the way when you download from your notification in your task-bar all you installed programs will still be there and not have to be re-installed .... or at least mine did ..... JMHO

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am not sure about that but I do know they will uninstall it for you.  I am back to Windows 7 Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh!

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been busy so will read through this later and make my mind up about windows 10

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been busy so will read through this later and make my mind up about windows 10

Well I was just of To bed and saw this I have not read it. 

Today's likeliest question to pop up today when thousands switch on their computers will be whether they should upgrade to Windows 10 from their current Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 OS.

They might be staring at the small Windows icon located at the right end of the task bar. Thing is, if you haven't already reserved your Windows 10 copy online, it is unlikely that you will get it today or even tomorrow.

Truth is there are plenty of reasons to stick with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, with the first being to avoid the hassle of having to go through the entire upgrade process (and not changing something if it is already working). This guide might help you if you plan to upgrade to Windows 10 but if you don't want to, you can always install Windows 10 features on Windows 8.1.

Get to Know Windows 10 better

Your first port of call will be our Windows 10 review which delves into more details about what's new in Microsoft's new operating system and how it differs from the its predecessors.

You might also want to check our Windows 10 vs Windows 8.1 vs Windows 7 article as well as a quick list of all the main features that Microsoft has added to its new OS.

One big difference though is that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free within the first year if you have a device (tablet, PC or laptop) running Windows 7 SP1 or a Windows 8.1 operating system already.

Upgrade to Windows 10 however and you will lose five key features present in its predecessors. Bear in mind as well that there are several Windows 10 versions, with Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro being the ones most people will install.

If you have an older computer (like this 12-year old one), you can install Windows 10 but you will need to buy a new copy; we suggest you buy a previous copy of Windows (cheapest Windows 7 deals are here) and immediately reserve your Windows 10 copy.

While one can expect some legacy applications and hardware/peripherals to stop working in Windows 10, we found Microsoft's flagship OS to be particularly accommodating when it comes to old software. We managed to install several decade-old applications without a hitch; the oldest one – Paint Shop Pro 4.12 - was 18.

For businesses and enterprises, Windows 10 comes with a whole gamut of features worth the upgrade. Since the beginning of June, a lot of vendors already started to entice potential upgraders (and Windows XP and Windows Vista laggards) with offers such as £100 desktop PCs and £99.98 laptops. Here's a lowdown of the features small businesses will love and what Windows 10 means for enterprise.

It's only the beginning

Windows 10 for PC (desktops, laptops and tablets) is what is making the headlines today, but bear in mind that it is the first one to land. Windows 10 for mobile will come up later this year, making it an even more compelling proposition.

And if you have tried Windows 10 and think that it is not up to your taste, you can always downgrade or roll back to your previous operating system. Just bear in mind that you only have one month do it.

Finally remember that Windows 10 is unlike any operating system Microsoft produced in that it is going to be continually updated. Yes, there might be a few service packs but it will mostly be software-as-a-service all the way with tweaks, updates and new features being added in a seamless way.

You can also follow our live coverage of Windows 10 here and participate in our Q&A marathon session here.
  • Like 3