Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

In a tech review I read on it,

I read that too. But then I read you can 'fool' it by telling Windows 10 that you are on a 'pay per megabyte' Internet connection in which case it would let you set it up to download only upon your approval.

Disclaimer: I did not try that, only read about it and thought it interesting.

Yes, that is true. I read about this as well and should have mentioned it. I believe it is in the network/connection settings to run as metered but I'm just assuming it right now because I've not checked.

Still, if not metered is encourage you to allow the automatic system updates.

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I read somewhere, that Windows 7 will be given the flick when it Windows 10 comes in?

I believe Microsoft already stopped supporting it but I think there will still be updates and patches for another 5 years. Please correct me of I'm wrong but I recall reading this month's ago.
  • Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I read somewhere, that Windows 7 will be given the flick when it Windows 10 comes in?

I believe Microsoft already stopped supporting it but I think there will still be updates and patches for another 5 years. Please correct me of I'm wrong but I recall reading this month's ago.

I read that too, that 7 will receive updates until 2020.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yes you can turn off auto updates. Go into settings, advanced options I believe.

You can actually opt out of every single privacy thing if you want also.

I don't want to turn them off ..... I just want to pick and choose which downloads I want before Windows downloads them for me ..... ex. I don't use Internet Explorer (yes I know it has now been changed but I don't want the new version either) ..... Silverlight .... any of the windows office programs ........ and many more ..... I want the "Let ME choose which programs to download and install" ..... if you allow Windows to just download any programs it deems as necessary you have no idea what is being downloaded ..... Win 7 has that option .... not sure about Win 8.1 as I didn't have it around long enough to find out .....  :mocking: 

:cheersty:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Its only security updates that are installed automatically.but they are numbered so you can't miss one

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Its only security updates that are installed automatically.but they are numbered so you can't miss one

Thanks Malcolm for that info ..... still like to see what they download before they do it but at least now I know the garbage I don't need won't get downloaded and worry about getting surprised later on ......  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have not heard that, but if 10 has the same interface as 8... I would rather use an unsupported 7.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I have not heard that, but if 10 has the same interface as 8... I would rather use an unsupported 7.

Much better interface than 7 and 8 but you will feel familiar with it if you like 7.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Just found this on yahoo.

Windows 10's first major update has stranded some users in an endless loop of reboots. Users have been reporting the problem to Microsoft, which is yet to suggest a solution -- not ideal for an OS which is less than two weeks old.

Known as KB3081424, the update incorporates a number of bug fixes for the new operating system, but has been failing on some machines.

When this happens Windows 10 automatically reverts to a previous version. But as Windows 10 updates are automatic and mandatory it then tries to install the dodgy update again.

Some users reported the update getting to a certain percentage before failing, with uninstalls taking a long time when Windows 10 gets stuck in a reboot loop.

DON'T MISS
Want to play a DVD on Windows 10? That'll cost you £11.59Want to play a DVD on Windows 10? That'll cost you £11.59
The problem has been exacerbated as Windows 10 updates are forced and can't be turned off. While this policy was intended to make the operating system more secure, some have argued that users should be given control over whether they chose to update or not.

Windows 10 users writing on Microsoft's help forums identified a fix for the update loop error that involved deleting certain keys from the Registry.

Those uncomfortable with changing the Registry should wait until Microsoft issues an official fix.
I am glad that  I am waiting to install windows 10.
  • Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

The loops are fairly rare and this has already been fixed in an update for many.

As for the DVD player. Who cares? You can download vlc out other DVD playing programs free of charge.

And there are simple ways to monitor or disable the auto updates like enabling metered connection in the network settings.

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 1