Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

So far, the only issue I had with W 10 was when I open any image.

The whole screen just keeps on blinking? I rebooted the thing and it's back to normal? What gives?

Mind you, I mainly use the browser. The PC boots up fast though?

Sounds like video driver issue.

So far, the only issue I had with W 10 was when I open any image.

The whole screen just keeps on blinking? I rebooted the thing and it's back to normal? What gives?

Mind you, I mainly use the browser. The PC boots up fast though?

Sounds like video driver issue.
Yeah, I did read there were some issues with a couple drivers for certain Nvidia graphics card drivers.

Thanks folks!

Initially, I thought since I had only upgraded OSs it must be the new OS since it was working fine before. But after this comment I went to Nvidea website to see they have a new W10 download so I said, this must be it then.

After downloading it over the illustrious PLDT brooooaaadband and tried the same issue, it's the same. The screen flickers whenever I open an image by clicking from explorer on any image like file (even a .mov) and play it in any app?

Luckily for me, I am retired :)

Did you uninstall the old video driver 1st? You may need to do it in Safe Mode. Then install the updated version. Also check the version of Adobe Flash.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I solved my problems and concerns with Win 10 ..... I'm going back to 8.1 .... let you all know how it goes .... after they get the bugs worked out I may try it again ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

Well they lied ..... "all you have to do is press the little button that says go back to Win 8 .... answer one question and wa la you are ack to your old system" ....... horse sh** ..... I am just now being able to get back here to tell you of MY experence going back to win 8.1 ..... first off how can someting take 15-20 mins to change what took 11 plus hours to download and another 4 to install .....

After pressing the take me back button it went through a bunch of starts and stops and 15 mins later my laptop showed my old win 8.1 welcome screen but when I clicked on it everything went dark ..... so I shut it off and restarted it only to have the same thing happen again .....

I said screw this crap and TRIED to format my hard drive ...... thank god the people at Acer made a back-up copy of my old win 8.1 system disk on a flash drive ..... but it still took me many hours to figure out how to format and install win 8.1 again along with all my programs as well as installing Firefox's favorits ..... passwords etc. ......

There are lots and lots of real life experences on line of people trying both sucessfully and other wise with reverting back to their previous additions of windows .... and some of them made the tragic mistake of NOT making a back-up copy of there systems ..... 

I thought I did a good job of reading everything I could find on the web about reverting back be fore I did but I guess I missed something .... anyway I am almost totally up and running with a few minor problems .... like my spell checker doesn't work .... and several others but at least I can do other stuff like emails ..... posting and web surfing ....

For those that want to revert back I don't know what t tell you except be careful and MAKE A BACK-UP COPY OF YOUR OS ..... and I can't express that strongly enough ..... JMHO

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know what problem would make you want to go back to window 8 but anyways, when you do any version upgrade it should save a copy on your c drive usually called windows.old or old.windows.. Cant remember which. This will contain your entire old version.

Also, the reason why it is so much faster to revert is because everything is already there. During the revert the system has to reboot many times. Perhaps your system wasn't done.

I'm curious, did you update windows 10 and did your system h go through the comparability tests?

Edited by Richieboy67

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
my old win 8.1

I am curious if yours may be a pirated copy.  When we buy Philippine hardware at a local store they often come with counterfeit windows.  Mine did.  It is one reason I had trouble updating to Windows 10 and I reverted back to Wndows 7 Pro within a day of trying it.  But now I keep getting (about once a day) a pop up that says Activate Windows Now so I guess I have alerted Windows to my pirated status.  You may have done the same?  Just a guess.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I am curious if yours may be a pirated copy. When we buy Philippine hardware at a local store they often come with counterfeit windows. Mine did. It is one reason I had trouble updating to Windows 10 and I reverted back to Wndows 7 Pro within a day of trying it. But now I keep getting (about once a day) a pop up that says Activate Windows Now so I guess I have alerted Windows to my pirated status. You may have done the same? Just a guess.

No it is a legit copy and had no problem with downloading and installing win 10 .... this computer was bought right from the Acer store in SM so not to much of a chance it would have pirated copies of windows on it ..... I try to buy my computers (not parts) from the manufactures stores and not local computer shops .... the price maybe a bit higher but worth it in th long run ..... either that or I buy a sealed boxed version like I did for Win 7 and get the full version not an OEM saves headaches in the long run ..... :dance: ... JMHO

I don't know what problem would make you want to go back to window 8

Good question ...... when it gets to the point that an OS starts telling you what you can and can't do with the system that is installed then I start to question the reasoning behind it ..... also in all the years I have been using windows this is the first time I have seen them offer a FREE upgrade to a new version of the OS ..... not an update but a whole new version .... they have put out some lemons in the past but in the short time I used 8.1 I really didn't see that much wrong with it or at least a way to work around some of its problems .... When you start reading articles about getting the masses of home users to do the testing for the commercial version so they don't have to and want you to use your band width at your expense to help with testing their product before releasing the commercial version I personally think that sucks ...... while I know there is a way around that for those that understand computers but just think of the millions of user that switched and don't know .... like Granny Goose or Aunty Tilly .... these are the people being scammed in my opion (yea my spell checker still doesn't work) .....  :lol: 

I should have done a whole lot more research before switching (I normally do) and after it's release the articles written by computer magazines and a whole trove of people a lot smarter than me say they are going to wait until they have more proof of what is going on before giving the green light to the project ..... anyway JMHO .... and after the dust settles in 6 months or more I may try it again .... maybe ..... :mocking:

I'm curious, did you update windows 10 and did your system h go through the comparability tests?

Yes most definately .... I used it for about 1 week and like I said as far as the way the OS operated only a few problems mostly with older games not being recognized even when played in compatability mode .... probably caused by ActiveX which I believe is now 12 or higher ..... and although they say it is backward compatable it ain't ..... :tiphat:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Gosh it all gets so Confusing, I may go back to XP and sod the No help from Microsoft ( It was never that good anyway) post-2148-0-26854100-1440035441.png

JP :tiphat:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

my old win 8.1

I am curious if yours may be a pirated copy.  When we buy Philippine hardware at a local store they often come with counterfeit windows.  Mine did.  It is one reason I had trouble updating to Windows 10 and I reverted back to Wndows 7 Pro within a day of trying it.  But now I keep getting (about once a day) a pop up that says Activate Windows Now so I guess I have alerted Windows to my pirated status.  You may have done the same?  Just a guess.

Read this Dave.

USERS who upgrade to Windows 10 face new rules on illegal downloads.

By DAVID SNELING
PUBLISHED: 10:29, Mon, Aug 17, 2015 | UPDATED: 12:02, Mon, Aug 17, 2015

Windows 10
GETTY
WARNING: Windows 10 will check your PC for pirated software
US software giant Microsoft, can now automatically search your computer and disable software that shouldn’t be there.

Microsoft updated their End User License terms earlier this month and if you’ve got Windows 10 you’ve just agreed to them.

The latest terms state: “Microsoft’s Services EULA may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

This basically means if you use any Microsoft product, including Windows phone, the tech firm can ban you from using anything it deems to be illegal.

However, there is some confusion over what Microsoft means by “unauthorised hardware peripheral device” with some suggesting Microsoft could block uncertified PCs or even stop you using an illegally-modified Xbox One controller.

Illegal software is clearly a big issue that Microsoft wants to crack.

The industry loses billions every year from users pirating software from friends and torrent sites.

In fact, recent reports have suggested over $50billion (£30billion) is lost each year through illegal downloads.

Windows 10 terms
  • Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for that Jack ..... yea I had read that too but didn't want to elaborate (wonders never cease .... my spell checker is working :thumbsup: ) on that as I am one of those naughty boys that M$ wants to protect the world from ..... actually that could give a sh** about anyone else pirated software but they are loosing to much of their own ..... just another reason why I won't go to Win 10 ..... sorry but I don't need Sir Galahad running around the Internet telling me what I can and can't do ..... they finally found a way to play god and they are going to use it to their full advantage .....IMHO ..... no telling next what they want to do with the data they collect ..... people should be very very afraid especially when a company becomes a monopoly and forces other manufactures to use their product ... in this case an OS .... as I said above there is a definite reason they are giving this version of windows away for free .... it ain't really free and you will definitely have to pay the piper sometime just a damn shame you can't buy a new computer with only Windows on it unless you want to go with Apple .... or buy Linux version OS .... 

I just can't see any business jumping on the Win 10 bandwagon unless they are purchasing new computers ......

And no Bob I still ain't ready to take the plunge yet ..... Linux is not compatible with any of my games or future games .... if you can convince them to do that I would make the switch .....  :tiphat:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

Edited by Mike S

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I understand, Mike!

Lately I use my MacBook for work (it's the best platform to use Scrivener on if you're a writer), my Linux machine hardly gets the dust blown off it, my tablet is when I'm lying down reading and I seem to do all my other stuff (emails, news, forum) on my phone when taking breaks or lying by the ocean/pool... So, if I ever do back to Windows? Only to look outside with...

:D

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Windows Loader

My google research shows me that there is a program to 'legitimize' Windows 7 or 8 so that I can then upgrade to a legitimate version of Windows 10.  It is called the Windows Loader.  I have downloaded it and I am going to run it later today or perhaps tomorrow.

It is a program that must override the anti-virus software so I want to ask here if anyone has experience with it before I run it?

• Like 1