Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Windows Loader

My google research shows me that there is a program to 'legitimize' Windows 7 or 8 so that I can then upgrade to a legitimate version of Windows 10.  It is called the Windows Loader.  I have downloaded it and I am going to run it later today or perhaps tomorrow.

It is a program that must override the anti-virus software so I want to ask here if anyone has experience with it before I run it?

Yes Dave. I have it. So far so good even after 5 years.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

ACER ASPIRE S-391 13" LAPTOP, WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT, INTEL i3 CPU AND 4 GB OF RAM

3 HRS TO DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 (only 2 Mbps download speed from Time Warner)

2 HRS TO INSTALL ALL FEATURES AND APPS (about 10 gigs of data total)

And 15 minutes to revert back to Windows 7!  Had problems connecting to internet, found out that the driver for the built-in WIFI adapter was NOT installed.  What a waste of time!  

Back to the regularly scheduled program.........

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
And 15 minutes to revert back to Windows 7! Had problems connecting to internet, found out that the driver for the built-in WIFI adapter was NOT installed. What a waste of time!
As a rule, you never do an upgrade on WIFI in case of driver issues. Always use CAT5 for that.
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

And 15 minutes to revert back to Windows 7! Had problems connecting to internet, found out that the driver for the built-in WIFI adapter was NOT installed. What a waste of time!
As a rule, you never do an upgrade on WIFI in case of driver issues. Always use CAT5 for that.

Hey Steve,

Judy has a brand new ASUS laptop (Windows 8.1) and had no problems upgrading to Window 10 via wireless download from my Time Warner modem (about 2 Mbps speed).  My ACER laptop had previous intermittent connections (resolving host issues) prior to upgrading to W-10.  So maybe that caused the driver for the wifi adapter to be corrupted or not completely transferred.  My laptop failed 3 times to download W-10.

Here is a link that describes this particular issue (apparently, I'm not the only one):  http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-no-wi-fi-available-after-windows-10-upgrade-issue-heres-how/

Now, my problem is how to get rid of the pop up (lower right corner) that says your Windows 10 is ready for download.  Thank god, I can't find my crescent-hammer to put it out of its misery......he, he.     

PS -- I fixed the resolving host issues with Google Chrome using the following links:

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/336501-google-chrome-resolving-host.html (using command prompt)

http://www.webnots.com/correct-chrome-resolving-host-issue/ (revising Google Chrome IP address)

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

ACER ASPIRE S-391 13" LAPTOP, WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT, INTEL i3 CPU AND 4 GB OF RAM

3 HRS TO DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 (only 2 Mbps download speed from Time Warner)

2 HRS TO INSTALL ALL FEATURES AND APPS (about 10 gigs of data total)

Back to the regularly scheduled program.........

Very easy to install a driver and most WiFi also include lan ports. Plug in, download your driver and you are all set.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well just an update ..... back to Win 8.1 and see no problems that I notice ..... not sure why others don't like 8.1 (except maybe the charms keep popping on the right side of the screen) but I can live with that ..... maybe there are some differences between 8.1 and 10 but a newbie like me doesn't notice them so I guess I'll stick with 8.1 at least I feel my privacy is a bit more secure ..... and I can use all my old software and games ..... I'm sure M$ will drop support for 8.1 a lot sooner but I think this time I'll take a chance and stick with it even though it means no security updates ..... I'm behind a hardware firewall and I use none of M$ programs so I'm not sure just what kind of security risk I will be taking ..... anyway I know folks still using XP and not having any problems .... I honestly think that this is just another ploy to get the masses to fork over for a newer version of an OS .... but like I said that's just me ..... :rolleyes: :hystery:

:cheersty:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
Torrent sites are banning Windows 10 users over privacy concerns

By Mark Langshaw

Tuesday, Aug 25 2015, 08:59 BST

Shares

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+

Windows 10 paranoia has reached new heights following reports that some torrent services are banning the operating system over privacy concerns.

Sites including iTS and FSC - members-only clubs where the best rips are shared exclusively - have taken issue with Microsoft's latest privacy policy.

Windows 10 update

© Microsoft

Windows 10's terms and conditions give Microsoft the right to remotely remove pirated content, although there's no evidence of the firm exercising this right.

However, torrent group BB claims to have uncovered proof that Microsoft is committing privacy violations by sending user data to anti-piracy groups.

"We have also found [Windows 10] will be gathering information on users' P2P use to be shared with anti-piracy groups," WinBeta quotes the group as saying.

A computer keyboard

© stock.xchng

"What's particularly nasty is that apparently it sends the results of local searches to a well-known anti-piracy company directly so as soon as you have one known P2P or scene release on your local disk… BAM!"

Microsoft isn't the only company that has faced torrents of abuse over its privacy policy of late, with Spotify recently promising to update its terms to assure users it isn't spying on them.
Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Good to know  One more reason not to upgrade.  I get all my movies over torrents.  Pirated?  Couldn't say. .  but I do know the stuff I watch is available for free on tv if I were still in Canada so I don't see any harm in it.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I'm really doubting much of this stuff. Yes a couple torrent sites have supposedly banned windows 10 but the other stuff regarding privacy and then sending your data to anti piracy groups send unlikely to me. I'd like to see some evidence of that.

From what I heard from the experts like Leo Laporte ands others is that Microsoft is using the data mostly for anti spam, bugs, etc.

We also have to remember there are probably a hundred million people all over the world using Windows 10 already. I doubt even Microsoft has the resources or would spend the money to spy on people this tightly.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

I'm really doubting much of this stuff. Yes a couple torrent sites have supposedly banned windows 10 but the other stuff regarding privacy and then sending your data to anti piracy groups send unlikely to me. I'd like to see some evidence of that.

From what I heard from the experts like Leo Laporte ands others is that Microsoft is using the data mostly for anti spam, bugs, etc.

We also have to remember there are probably a hundred million people all over the world using Windows 10 already. I doubt even Microsoft has the resources or would spend the money to spy on people this tightly.

Do you work for - or receive a stipend from - Microsoft? You really do sound like an evangelist for the company with your promoting of this operating system and your downplaying of its negative aspects. All you have achieved in my case is to deter me from ever updating my PC.

• Like 5