Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

RBM
Posted
Posted

I am not having second thoughts about the Phills. I am having second thoughts about the place I live it is so noisy and not just at fiesta time. I will be relocating in the near future to somewhere quieter.

Unfortunately this mayn't be the answer.

Few years back we did same. Before moving we diligently checked proposed residence for noise at different times day and night and were satisfied. Only after moving did we discover garbage burning early mornings, plastic being the worst. Twice a month all night church sessions in a private house over the road. Last but not least dogs barking 24/7. Where on earth they were during our due diligence I do not know.

We must just accept while living here it's one of the most noisiest countries on earth, we cannot change this. So long as the pluses continue to outweigh the negs it's OK.

What I have done is brought a small rechargeable speaker that takes an USB. During coffee a neighbour tends to have TV at the only volume he knows......just have my speaker, with my music closet by and zero problem. During Saturday night discos, even the disco is 2km away we still hear it, yes it's true. As another poster mentioned ear plugs, takes a very short time to adjust to them and one sleeps well.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am not having second thoughts about the Phills. I am having second thoughts about the place I live it is so noisy and not just at fiesta time. I will be relocating in the near future to somewhere quieter. 

attachicon.gifTent Kevs.jpg  :thumbsup:

What`s the rent on that one?

ha, ha, Always quick on the deal EH? it's post-2148-0-93081300-1456121688_thumb.jp  :hystery:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
we have to ensure that Meaningful Conversation is daily

Do you mean on this forum or with our wives?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

we have to ensure that Meaningful Conversation is daily

Do you mean on this forum or with our wives?

Anyone that matters to you in daily life. Otherwise nothing ever seems to get done, then the problems start :)

Today just as a One off I said to my Wife ask the people (The helpers) to Clean the Lights, what did they Do? Cleaned the Fixings but not the light bulbs. That is what I mean't, so goodness knows what they were told. Maybe I should Get Tom to Change that to Communication/Conversation. Funny but a Sunny side up today, does not mean sunny side up Every Day, all anyone has to do is ask, "How do you want your eggs today" or is life really meant to be difficult? The communicative conversation will be spot on next week though. Yes?

Hint

$$ day

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately this mayn't be the answer.

Few years back we did same. Before moving we diligently checked proposed residence for noise at different times day and night and were satisfied. Only after moving did we discover garbage burning early mornings, plastic being the worst. Twice a month all night church sessions in a private house over the road. Last but not least dogs barking 24/7. Where on earth they were during our due diligence I do not know.

We must just accept while living here it's one of the most noisiest countries on earth, we cannot change this. So long as the pluses continue to outweigh the negs it's OK.

What I have done is brought a small rechargeable speaker that takes an USB. During coffee a neighbour tends to have TV at the only volume he knows......just have my speaker, with my music closet by and zero problem. During Saturday night discos, even the disco is 2km away we still hear it, yes it's true. As another poster mentioned ear plugs, takes a very short time to adjust to them and one sleeps well.

When I moved the discos were away from here now they have reclaimed land they are all near to me.I have been to many places here and have never seen as many dogs(as I do here) roaming the streets at night.  I live in a row house and my neighbors are noisy twits(spelling)The government offices over the road start their vehicles at 530-6 and rev the guts out of them.My landlords and the house on the next lot have dogs barking all the time,these dogs were not here when I got here.The private school 100 yards away puts very loud music on every morning at 6.we have the wandering church most mornings at 430-5.It turns that this is the main road to the beach and bars so every night we get late night people(without baffles in their exhausts ) using it. The noise here is 22/7 so Bruce as much as I thank you for your advice surely I think I can find somewhere quieter.If I am wrong I will buy you a beer next time i see you after I move.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I think we can all expect and acknowledge some noise on a daily basis but when it becomes constant then it is a problem, my dogs can be noisy but for reason, that is why I have dogs, to Alert us of strange happenings. My neighbour complained about them, OK I said to Him now I will tell you why they were Barking last night, 1. Your daughter was saying a lengthy goodnight to her Boyfriend on a Running Motor cycle right outside my gates, There because you have barred his bike from your House. 2. Because she was there so were your Dogs and this again makes my Dogs Bark. My dogs only Bark when they feel the need. maybe you need to think about the consequences of your Actions that put others out just so you can get some sleep. We all need Sleep and on this Occasion and many more the Problem has been caused by you and Your family Not Mine.

Sorted? You bet ya! 

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My first house was quiet...for a few months.  Right before christmas it started getting loud.  I hoped it was just for the holiday season.  Not so. It seems a couple neighbors got big sound systems (mini sound, they call it).  What i have found is that a neighborhood never gets quieter. Over time it will only get louder.  If one neighbor gets a big speaker it adds to the noise.  Even if they never increase the size, or number of speakers... they will also never decrease it.  Anyone else that gets one, and it just adds up.

Unfortunately it is the one thing I cannot get used to.  Dogs, roosters, motorcycles, sirens... don't bother me at all.  Earplugs may slow down some of the actual music - but do nothing for the 'thump thump' of their sub-woofers.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted

Like most others I guess; it took time to get use to the noises, music, and other disturbances. In the 13 years that I've back here now I have never once considered leaving or returning to the States.

I went back once many years ago to take care of an aging parent. As much as I enjoyed spending the final days with my mom, I was aching to get back here and to my family.

I love my native America and many of the places there; but this is home and I would not leave even if my life depended on it.

Nephi

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted

Interesting, but very concerning thread...  so do you think you will have the same noise problem if you lived in a high rise condo? or a gated community?

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Interesting, but very concerning thread...  so do you think you will have the same noise problem if you lived in a high rise condo? or a gated community?

You can get noise wherever you live.But where it is compounded by my neighbours being so close and the new noise which has started the last 12-18 months.A 50%reduction would not go a miss and that is doable if my neighbour is more than 10 feet away from me.The woman next door does not talk she shouts I have a 3 year old on the other side who is so spoiled that when she is told no she is screaming about every 45 mins.I have dogs who were not here before just barking most of the day.Roosters don`t bother me as I was brought in a rural setting.There is more noise but too much to write here but I`m sure you get the picture.Ear plugs maybe at night but in the daytime a no no and to be fair why i be deaf all day because of people who have no consideration for others.