Expats Living In Philippines Having Second Thoughts......

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was woken up by noise this morning.

When I moved to this subdivision it was sooooooo quiet.  Then neighbors started moving in, often with 8 people living in a place that is meant for newlyweds and nearly-deads.  They send their kids out onto the street to play at 8 am so the mothers can have a snooze and the kids bang on the door and scream to get back in.  Then the immediate neighbors on both sides have got dogs.  They have recently started barking at each other when they hear the kids starting to scream.

Fortunately, by about 9, the mother lets the kid in, the dogs stfu and I can get a lie in 'till noon.  Life is still good!

Sounds like here Dave, we also get noise from many other scorces most of which were not here when we moved here.  I will not be leaving the Phills as on the whole I like it here.I wanted to move last year but my Wife wanted to stay near her family so I relented. Another reason was she thought she had no friends in Dumaguete which now and she realises that indeed she has quite a few friends and people she knows over there.Also I told her she can come back to Dalaguete and visit her family quite often.I also explained to her how much better the services are there and that if we want an official piece of paperwork 90% of the time she can get it there and we don`t have to travel 3 hours each way to get it. She is now sold on the idea and well I think you all know things are in motion.So am I having second thoughts about staying in the Phills no way am I.You are stuck with me so tough. Haha maybe now some of you (with that last piece of information) are having second thoughts.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Not there yet, but as John says , move to another part of that vast country, thats one very good reason to rent rather then to buy,

Moving back to the country where you was born is all well and good if you still have a home there

Or family who recognize that it is a net gain putting you up for however long.

I guess I just paid my rent to family again. I gave them about half the cost of another Good used car that I picked out for them. Tax refund time is a bad time to be looking for a car. The sharks (dealers) smell blood in the water. Of course we are fortunate enough that none of us are getting a tax refund. :no:

I don't know what they are going to do when I am gone again. Then again I do know...they are going to raid their retirement account/s to buy a bad car. The first car I gave them the money for and they picked out (Ford Explorer) which I had to fix before they could get it inspected and drive it, has finally died. They let it run out of water, it overheated and one of the heads is cracked. Cost more to repair than it is worth repaired. :bash:

I left my 97 Toyota 4Runner (Fortuner) with them when I went to the Philippines a year and a half ago. I'm glad I use full synthetic oil, and the cooling system is good because nothing has gone into that vehicle except gas and passengers (started to say a$$) for the last 36k km. The tires are all low and there is sticky dried soda pop on the center console. Like anywhere, some people don't respect what they didn't pay for. But they are still family. :1 (103):

I picked out their new car and gave them half the purchase price, 2003 Nissan Pathfinder (Terrano) Kind of high milage but absolutely everything works on it, runs like new. I told them to start saving for a new car because I'm not going to be here the next time they need a car in 70k kilometers, less if they never check/ change the oil, check the coolant or.... :rolleyes:

This is why I am always welcome. Not just because I give them money but because I care enough to make sure they didn't waste theirs on another junk car. Also my dry wit and plumbing skills. :hystery:

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

If I could get up from my chair and get on a plane to the US right this minute, I would be gone. I hate how Filipinos treat their animals, how they treat their children, and how they treat ex pats. My wife was at the pharmacy the other day to buy some antibiotics. A furiner was there and asked for antibiotics. He was told they were out of stock. My wife proceeded to buy a box of a 100. I also don't like the corruption. But mainly I don't like the lack of the foods that I want to eat. I am a veggie for 35 years and I really miss the selection in the states. There is nothing here to make that lack tolerable. I don't like the prices of things. P400 for a half gallon of real ice cream that would cost $5 in the states. Olive oil for P1000 that costs $10 in the states. Sure, I pay $175 for a two bedroom two bathroom house with a nice yard that I couldn't touch in the states for that price, but I have a five year old daughter. Where are the parks with playground equipment for her to go to? Where is there a real zoo? She attends a private school that teaches her about jesus, no matter how many times I ask them not to. They tell her, Don't tell your dad about this. Sorry for the rant, but this place is not paradise for me, but I am very glad it is for you. We have been here five years and are looking at another two years before we can leave.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
But mainly I don't like the lack of the foods that I want to eat. I am a veggie for 35 years and I really miss the selection in the states.

I was vegetarian for 27 years back in the US.  This would be a tough country for that! :tiphat:

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I could get up from my chair and get on a plane to the US right this minute, I would be gone. I hate how Filipinos treat their animals, how they treat their children, and how they treat ex pats. My wife was at the pharmacy the other day to buy some antibiotics. A furiner was there and asked for antibiotics. He was told they were out of stock. My wife proceeded to buy a box of a 100. I also don't like the corruption. But mainly I don't like the lack of the foods that I want to eat. I am a veggie for 35 years and I really miss the selection in the states. There is nothing here to make that lack tolerable. I don't like the prices of things. P400 for a half gallon of real ice cream that would cost $5 in the states. Olive oil for P1000 that costs $10 in the states. Sure, I pay $175 for a two bedroom two bathroom house with a nice yard that I couldn't touch in the states for that price, but I have a five year old daughter. Where are the parks with playground equipment for her to go to? Where is there a real zoo? She attends a private school that teaches her about jesus, no matter how many times I ask them not to. They tell her, Don't tell your dad about this. Sorry for the rant, but this place is not paradise for me, but I am very glad it is for you. We have been here five years and are looking at another two years before we can leave.

This place gets frustrating to most all of us on a daily basis I would think. Although the Philippines is not for everyone and some do end up going home; I do wonder if some of the issues that you have are two fold. One, perhaps you are the one in the family that is having to deal with the locals at stores, paying bills etc. And two, perhaps you chose the wrong area of the country to live in?

There are many areas that can meet most of what it would take to give you a different outlook on life and the Philippines in general. Subic Bay is the one main place that comes to mind that would fit the bill. I mean, how many times have we moved around back home to live in a better more desirable area? Issues such as you describe with buying antibiotics and the like would be unheard of any place I have been here and I've lived here for 13 years now. 

The main thing is that  moving back home is an extremely expensive proposition to say the very least. Do keep everyone up to date as time goes by and do check out places like Subic. You may be pleasantly surprised...

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

I have no problem with the noise since the catholic church across the street broke their loud speakers. We have lived here in Camilia homes Lawaan since two weeks after we got here. Went from a four bedroom two bath hot as hell house with no yard to a two bedroom two bath with a decent yard and a great breeze once we got Katie. When I moved here I thought I was here for life, and maybe without Katie, I still would be, but with a five year old, she needs more than is available here. Nothing is going to change for the better that would change my mind about staying. We live in a pretty peaceful laid back place, but the lack of veggie foods, the lack of amusements for Katie is too much. Although, Katie has started ice skating, bowling, piano and violin. My wife cooks wonderful food for us. But man, I miss mexican food. We are looking at Tampa so far, but keeping an open mind.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

This place gets frustrating to most all of us on a daily basis I would think. Although the Philippines is not for everyone and some do end up going home; I do wonder if some of the issues that you have are two fold. One, perhaps you are the one in the family that is having to deal with the locals at stores, paying bills etc. And two, perhaps you chose the wrong area of the country to live in?

There are many areas that can meet most of what it would take to give you a different outlook on life and the Philippines in general. Subic Bay is the one main place that comes to mind that would fit the bill. I mean, how many times have we moved around back home to live in a better more desirable area? Issues such as you describe with buying antibiotics and the like would be unheard of any place I have been here and I've lived here for 13 years now. 

The main thing is that  moving back home is an extremely expensive proposition to say the very least. Do keep everyone up to date as time goes by and do check out places like Subic. You may be pleasantly surprised...

I think Subic would be 4 or more times LB's rent, that may not be doable. Often it's the perception of value for money. Sometimes I have to throw the whole thing out the window and take a fresh look to decide that I'm not that bad off. Sometimes on second examination, it was worse than I originally thought. LB could buy quite a bit of ice cream and olive oil for the difference in rent but if there is produce that he simply can not get, throwing money will not solve all problems.

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted

I think Subic would be 4 or more times LB's rent, that may not be doable. Often it's the perception of value for money. Sometimes I have to throw the whole thing out the window and take a fresh look to decide that I'm not that bad off. Sometimes on second examination, it was worse than I originally thought. LB could buy quite a bit of ice cream and olive oil for the difference in rent but if there is produce that he simply can not get, throwing money will not solve all problems.

Yea, Subic (on Base) is a bit high cost but ya get what ya pay for. Living off base might be an option in Olongapo and then get use of the schools, mall, stores (duty free), and restaurants on base. 

The old base is a pretty darned good place with much to offer. If it was not so there would be few expats living there or the active yacht club to say nothing of the infrastructure.

I managed a good restaurant there several years ago and enjoyed the place immensely.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Living in the Philippines on a very tight budget with late night drunken karaoke, barking Roosters and any number of curious challenges?

has it all become too much. Wanna just quit? What would you do? Even if you have a "backup plan" can you truly go back? 

Wanna just quit? What would you do? Even if you have a "backup plan" can you truly go back? 

I don't know Dan......I guess you can apply that same question about your home country.  It's all about choices, some hard choices that may affect the rest of your life.  It's about choices of the lesser of the two or three evils in home country as well.  

I know if Judy and I decided to live in PI, we would acquire new set of problems while we leave old set of problems back in the States.  Are you an adventurous person or a happy go lucky person like Dave Horn Dog?  How do we train ourselves to suddenly adapt, tolerate or instantly gain more patience living in a different lifestyle and culture?  

The old cliche -- we will cross the bridge when we get there takes a significant amount of long term planning to prevent any last minute crisis management.  We all appreciate what Danny (Intrepid) is doing jumping through all the hoops in preparation of his permanent move to Laguna area.  I think Danny is doing a great service to his fellow expats in the hopes that we can follow in his footsteps with minimum issues about moving not only his household effects but his whole life, hopes and dreams.  Well done Danny!

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 5