Brexit turmoil

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think those easily led on both sides have been fooled into believing what the opposition was thinking when they voted.

For me I voted out as I could see through the pro EU propoganda.  How you can have a group of countries sharing the same currency but without the ability to undervalue it to stimulate the economy goes against any sensible economical model unless everything is equal within those countries.

Currently we have different wages, health services, education standards, welfare payments, languages, laws etc.  Not exactly a union is it? 

Just look at what has happened in the recent past due to open borders.  Social housing is at braking point as is the health service of the UK. No longer can you get your child into the school of your choice and in many areas of the UK English isn't the first language.  In Glasgow which is sheltered a little from the influx there's actually a school where English isn't the first language of any of the children.  I've a friend who speaks five languages and he makes a fortune translating for the Police and courts.  Other friends work in the prison service and also say over 45% of their inmates don't speak English.  As a whole over 5% of the UK prison population are foreigners.

They trot out the myth that the EU has maintained peace in Europe since World War 2, yet you'll find it's NATO and the fact that too many foreign countries have bought out most of the  National resources and businesses inside the EU.  Pointless going to war if you already own it one way or rhe other.

On a final note look at how the EU politicains have talked down the people of the UK.  Saving a special place in hell for them, saying they should be on the guillotine etc.

• Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think those easily led on both sides have been fooled into believing what the opposition was thinking when they voted.

For me I voted out as I could see through the pro EU propoganda.  How you can have a group of countries sharing the same currency but without the ability to undervalue it to stimulate the economy goes against any sensible economical model unless everything is equal within those countries.

Currently we have different wages, health services, education standards, welfare payments, languages, laws etc.  Not exactly a union is it? 

Just look at what has happened in the recent past due to open borders.  Social housing is at braking point as is the health service of the UK. No longer can you get your child into the school of your choice and in many areas of the UK English isn't the first language.  In Glasgow which is sheltered a little from the influx there's actually a school where English isn't the first language of any of the children.  I've a friend who speaks five languages and he makes a fortune translating for the Police and courts.  Other friends work in the prison service and also say over 45% of their inmates don't speak English.  As a whole over 5% of the UK prison population are foreigners.

They trot out the myth that the EU has maintained peace in Europe since World War 2, yet you'll find it's NATO and the fact that too many foreign countries have bought out most of the  National resources and businesses inside the EU.  Pointless going to war if you already own it one way or rhe other.

On a final note look at how the EU politicains have talked down the people of the UK.  Saving a special place in hell for them, saying they should be on the guillotine etc.

It might be a terrible club, but we may find being a member of a terrible club is better than not. 

Time will tell...I think everyone is done with the whole thing and just want us to get on with it and make the best of a bad job.  Pretty much as we have been doing since we joined the EU.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Bit like a right to own guns topic :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Bit like a right to own guns topic :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I think there has been a good exchange of views between posters ,with no heated posts (well, almost none) - good for the forum to have such healthy debate.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I think there has been a good exchange of views between posters ,with no heated posts (well, almost none) - good for the forum to have such healthy debate.

Hey guys,

I just tuned into this thread and was also pleasantly surprise how we demonstrate civility among some of the most outstanding comments I've read -- pros and cons.  Thank you gentlemen!

However, I'm still scratchin' my ass on how BREXIT was placed on the ballot to begin with.  Was it the following choices:

A -- worsening immigrant problems and BREXIT would make UK more isolated?  Like closing the English Channel or other means?  

B -- inequality of qualities of life because of the EURO COIN?  Are most Europeans better off than the Brits?  

C -- bankers and politicians on both sides of the English Channel finally got too greedy and got caught and now they want BREXIT to bail them out?

D -- all the above?  

And finally, one more question.  And I know this may be a touchy subject and will fully understand how sensitive it might be and be off the table of discussion --- how does IRELAND fit into this picture? 

Respectfully Jake 

Edited by Jake
spel chek

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Jake, Ireland is the big stumbling block. We signed an internation aggreement not to have a hard border between Northern Ireland and the South. A hard Brexit would put a hard border in place so the PM came up with the backstop idea which sort of kicks the problem down the road a bit but she can't get it through parliment.

• Like 1

Foreigner
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

We signed an internation aggreement not to have a hard border between Northern Ireland and the South.

This begs the question of why have any sort of border at all... whether it's hard or soft, it will always still be a border.  I know that this is a touchy or sticky issue, but it's still an unresolved issue. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

This begs the question of why have any sort of border at all... whether it's hard or soft, it will always still be a border.  I know that this is a touchy or sticky issue, but it's still an unresolved issue. 

The EU will insist of some sort of control so that goods and people can not sneak into the EU, a bit like the US Mexico border. Once we leave we become a foreign country and any good etc crossing into the EU will become liable to the usual tariffs and duties.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jake said:

However, I'm still scratchin' my ass on how BREXIT was placed on the ballot to begin with.  Was it the following choices:

I was wondering that myself.  A few weeks ago we had a friend from one of the other islands come visit us.  With her she had an Filipina aunt who has lived for many years in England.  This was my first opportunity to actually sit and talk with someone from the UK.  I took the opportunity to ask her thoughts about the break.  She was adamant that there should be a break and the reason was immigration.  She says there has been such an influx in immigration that social services are being pushed far beyond capacity and it was getting worse.   No additional reasons for the break were given.  I have noticed in a lot of comments both here and in reading news articles that "immigration" appears to be a dominant theme of many who want to break with the EU.  I found that interesting because at one point she herself was an immigrant to England. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

We signed an internation aggreement not to have a hard border between Northern Ireland and the South.

I am not following the topic.  So forgive me if this has been asked and answered.  But does anyone know how they handled the same problem during WW2 when Ireland was neutral and the Axis infiltrators could go there and then sneak into England?  It seems they solved the problem then so why re-invent the wheel.  Just do whatever they did back then.

• Like 1