Brexit turmoil

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am not following the topic.  So forgive me if this has been asked and answered.  But does anyone know how they handled the same problem during WW2 when Ireland was neutral and the Axis infiltrators could go there and then sneak into England?  It seems they solved the problem then so why re-invent the wheel.  Just do whatever they did back then.

That would require reintroducing a 'hard border' between Northern Ireland and Ireland... which was one of the main causes of 'the troubles'.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am not following the topic.  So forgive me if this has been asked and answered.  But does anyone know how they handled the same problem during WW2 when Ireland was neutral and the Axis infiltrators could go there and then sneak into England?  It seems they solved the problem then so why re-invent the wheel.  Just do whatever they did back then.

It's somewhat different now Dave. Ireland was not in the EU during WW2 . Even so Ireland was a commonwealth country until 1948 when it became an independent  country from the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I was wondering that myself.  A few weeks ago we had a friend from one of the other islands come visit us.  With her she had an Filipina aunt who has lived for many years in England.  This was my first opportunity to actually sit and talk with someone from the UK.  I took the opportunity to ask her thoughts about the break.  She was adamant that there should be a break and the reason was immigration.  She says there has been such an influx in immigration that social services are being pushed far beyond capacity and it was getting worse.   No additional reasons for the break were given.  I have noticed in a lot of comments both here and in reading news articles that "immigration" appears to be a dominant theme of many who want to break with the EU.  I found that interesting because at one point she herself was an immigrant to England. 

Without wishing to sound like a broken record, immigration is the main issue but immigration from non-EU countries is,and has been since 1991  significantly higher than from EU countries.  It has also been suggested that once we stop accepting EU immigrants we will need to accept a higher number of immigrants from non-EU to pick up the labour shortfall in industries/jobs where locals are unwilling to work for various reasons.  In short we may end up simple swapping immigration from the EU to immigration from non-EU. 

Again, this is all part of the propaganda so who knows how true it is - we will find out but by then it will be too late if we have been duped! 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Without wishing to sound like a broken record, immigration is the main issue but immigration from non-EU countries is,and has been since 1991  significantly higher than from EU countries.  It has also been suggested that once we stop accepting EU immigrants we will need to accept a higher number of immigrants from non-EU to pick up the labour shortfall in industries/jobs where locals are unwilling to work for various reasons.  In short we may end up simple swapping immigration from the EU to immigration from non-EU. 

Again, this is all part of the propaganda so who knows how true it is - we will find out but by then it will be too late if we have been duped! 

Be careful that you don't hint that Brexiter are racist they get very defensive. Mind you a couple of the knuckle draggers at work yesterday were quite buoyant about the muslims murdered in New Zealand yesterday. They are often making racist remarks in front of the couple of Polish workers. One of them flies the union flag in his front garden which here in the UK tend to be a sign of far right tendencies.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Please keep racist remarks out of here, there are other forums for low lifes.

• Like 4

Mick
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Please keep racist remarks out of here, there are other forums for low lifes.

Spot on..... Think he has issues 

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's a difference between EU migration and that from outside of the EU. If you are from outside of the EU your movements are controlled and visas are issued.  Usually requiring a skill that the country is in demand of.  An EU citizen can just wander in and out of each country unchecked. Get released from a prison in any EU country and move to another one where your crimes are unknown. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

Spot on..... Think he has issues 

So complaining about people being rasist is also rasist now. :89:

• Like 1

Kuya M
Posted
Posted

• Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

So complaining about people being rasist is also rasist now. :89:

Hey Gary, that was exactly how I understood your post.  Thank you for your insights!