Posted

So how is retirement?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bows00 said:

Congratulations Steve.  For your assurance, there hasn't been anybody that I know that have regretted pulling the trigger, including me.  Personally, I have been retired for a little over a year now, and I don't think I have  been happier in all my life.  The most stress I have is when I dream about work... and end up pinching myself every morning upon awakening.  But I am blessed to have successfully planned  to live in Hawaii, where the cost of living is outrageous, so money is never a concern if I were to decide to live elsewhere - anywhere in the world.  

But life after retirement is NOT all roses.   I have decided to spend my first year living in the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia using my free time to look within, and find out what I want to do for my next 20 years (I am currently 58).  

Just one small advice for you... with all that free time, don't forget to put in at least 30 minutes each day to take care of your health... you only have one body...Welcome to the club... you won't regret it.. 

Thank you, and I will tell Emma I don’t have to do the hour in exercise each day from now on , but we both intend to do a nice long walk at lease once a week.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

So how is retirement?

So far so good I can’t beleive beleive how I ever found time to go into paid work with all the things I have had to do.:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

A count down for my retirement.

Working in a office of 8 folk over the years you do get to know how they really are and maybe they get to know how you are too and I have tried to be up front about everything face to face with everyone and yes some folk don’t like that but being in charge that’s part of the job.

Other then the office workers we have around 20 drivers and again there have been there for years and there have been ups and downs but again who likes being told what they have to do when they don’t want to do it.

Anyway back to the count down , I knew something was happening ,the secret collection and signing of the card , I desided that I would bring the some puddings and fruit in , Emma made 2 very large Graham puddings and the biggest bowl of chopped fruit for me to take.

Over the last few days I had received emails and phone calls from customers thanking me and wishing us well in our retirement which was very nice and even a few cards too, Friday came and as I was on the early shift I was there to see everyone when they clocked in, there was the usual banter from them ( why should I do this and that and so on ). 

Then there was the few who was thanking me and shaking my hand and there is always the ones who you know has never liked you but then again they don’t like  anyone at all even themselves, those folk I have never liked as a person anyway.

After the drivers had gone the office staff came in and I was opening a few cards from the other depots we have so they gave me there cards, a few gift cards for meals and a voucher for the camera shop and so on, I even got a tee shirt hat and glasses from ‘ Where’s walley ‘ , I will have to wear that where ever we are and take pictures I was told, it was a fun few hours.

The ex retired boss turned up and his comments was nice ‘ I was his best ever employee as a delivery driver he ever employed in his working life’, then the owner turned up with his son with lots of food, his wife turned up to see me and his other son who is of work I’ll ever called to wish me well.

All was going well and I was wondering when is the time for me to say goodbye and walk away, well after a few more chats I was asked to come into the bosses office , after handshakes I was given a cheque and I lost it the tears just came out, I don’t know if it was the realisation of what is happening after all these years, it was good to have the chat face to face and again I was told by the owner how I would be a lost and what I meant to the company, yes I know it could be all talk but I also know I was very good at my work and also very fair too.

Well the cheque is going in the bank very soon it’s over Twice as much as I thought I may get , now don’t get excited all you high earners  it’s not what you may think is great but in my eyes anything it better then nothing.

Now here is the bad thoughts and I am not bitter .

With all the staff working at our place and knowing many over the years the card  I got from the workers or should I say who wrote on the card and donated some cash was a total of 9 people , like I have said I am not bitter the people who did write a message on the card I thanked them and the people who did not write I also thanked them , but deep down I always new what they thought of me , but someone has to tell them what they don’t want to hear.

Anyway it’s all in the past now, I wish them all well some more then others, now I wonder what I can moan about now in my future threads.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

A few pictures from 1983 to yesterday .IMG_20190329_075627~2.jpgIMG_20190329_102633~2.jpg

IMG_20190329_102635~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, stevewool said:

now I wonder what I can moan about now in my future threads.

Steve just please don't let it be Excuses.jpg  you know it makes sense 1.jpg :wink:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1