Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, robert k said:

There are the expressways on Luzon, that's about it. Someone mentioned a track in Cebu.

I am in Davao, so any of those places is a bit of a trek. And someone just mentioned speed camera's up by Clark. I think Graham's X-Box cars may just have to do!:laugh: Could it be that I am finally maturing in my old age - anything but that!!!

• Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's how I am thinking too, Geoff... However, I might try to find something in a diesel - I like the fuel economy and I don't need to smoke the tires between traffic jams with jackrabbit starts!:smile: Parts for my Mazda are tough to find and very expensive - the local dealership is useless but I found a great mechanic shop that does quality repairs.

Not talking about crazy performance, but you do need a capable passer. I only pass when someone is really holding things up and it's safe to do so, or when I must, turns out that's about once every 3 kilometers.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's how I am thinking too, Geoff... However, I might try to find something in a diesel - I like the fuel economy and I don't need to smoke the tires between traffic jams with jackrabbit starts!:smile: 

You might be surprised by how much grunt the modern turbo diesels have if you haven't driven one recently, the Toyota 2.8 Turbo diesel for example has heaps of torque.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, robert k said:

Not talking about crazy performance, but you do need a capable passer

Yeah...agreed! When I do find the safe time to pass, I go quickly in case they decide to speed up (which some of them do) or in case someone suddenly appears from the opposing lane. I also am ready to stomp the brake. I try to be ready for anything - so far, so lucky.

My 2.3 ltr. Mazda really goes nicely - but parts are starting to kill me...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

You might be surprised by how much grunt the modern turbo diesels have if you haven't driven one recently, the Toyota 2.8 Turbo diesel for example has heaps of torque.

Yes... I have been surprised. A friend drives a Ford Ranger with Turbo Diesel and it kicks ass better than my 2.3 gas engine! Don't know the displacement but, when he goes to pass, they stay passed!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I visited my neighbour with the brand new Mustang GT this morning. What a beauty! I hope to coax him into taking me for a ride some time. If the specs I read online are correct, this puppy puts out about 460 hp from a normally aspirated 5.0 liter engine!  (That's only 305 cubic inches!) Wow! He calls it his dream car and seems a bit intimidated by it. So far he has only driven it home from the dealership. Judging by the license plate holder, he bought it through the local Ford dealership but originally from a Ford dealership in Global City - so they are being imported for sale. I will post more info about it later if anyone is interested.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I visited my neighbour with the brand new Mustang GT this morning. What a beauty! I hope to coax him into taking me for a ride some time. If the specs I read online are correct, this puppy puts out about 460 hp from a normally aspirated 5.0 liter engine!  (That's only 305 cubic inches!) Wow! He calls it his dream car and seems a bit intimidated by it. So far he has only driven it home from the dealership. Judging by the license plate holder, he bought it through the local Ford dealership but originally from a Ford dealership in Global City - so they are being imported for sale. I will post more info about it later if anyone is interested.

I think the PH version is only 435 hp.  You were probably looking at U.S. specs.  We have a lot of Mustangs in our area.  A young guy just bought the convertible and has been driving around with the top down.  I don't think I would ever have a convertible in the tropics.

What is also amazing is that they have an "Ecosport" Mustang with the same engine and transmission as the Ford Raptor.  310 hp from a 2.3 l I4 with twin turbos.

I don't know why, but the father of my neighbor has his Shelby Mustang parked in front of our house with a car cover, for over a month.  I'm fairly certain he has a lot of garages for his cars so I don't know why.  Perhaps he is doing a garage remodel.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

only 435 hp.

Hmmm... OMW... that's plenty of power for me! I won't quibble over 25 missing hp...:biggrin: Yeah... I was looking at US specs. Still an awful lot of power from that relatively small non-turbo motor... I'm impressed.

This afternoon I am meeting the guy again and will ask for a tour of his car - he seems eager to show it off.

The Shelby sports, what, 526 hp or so if it is current or recent model? I would certainly rent a garage space if I had a rare and expensive car like that! That does sound a bit strange...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is another fun SUV I owned.  1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer.  I have a lot of good memories from this one.  Long road trips and ski trips.  It was underpowered and the tranny did not match well with the power,  but I kept it for 3 years.  I sold it because I was broke and decided to get my act together financially.  I bought a 15 years old VW Rabbit from my sis and BIL for $100 and drove it for a year.  It was rusting away and literally held together with duct tape!

This was a trip with my buddies down to Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.  One friend's family had a house in Ensenada but it was fun to camp on the beach for a few nights.  The first two pictures are on the sand spit we are camping on, which forms a little bay.

blazer03.jpeg  blazer04.jpeg

blazer02.jpeg  blazer01.jpeg

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The Shelby sports, what, 526 hp or so if it is current or recent model? I would certainly rent a garage space if I had a rare and expensive car like that! That does sound a bit strange...

His is a few years old but looks brand new.  I'll find out what is up.  His two daughters live across from us and one of them dates the son of my old landlord, but I don't run into any of them very often.

Edit:  I just looked out the window and it is gone!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Sad 1