Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

graham59
Posted
Posted

8 or 10 of the emergency services people  standing around could have flipped that wreck back over and faced in the right direction in a few seconds, without all that fannying around by the  recovery driver though . lol  :biggrin:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

8 or 10 of the emergency services people  standing around could have flipped that wreck back over and faced in the right direction in a few seconds, without all that fannying around by the  recovery driver though . lol  :biggrin:

Very true, but I would bet their health insurance would not cover them if they yanked their backs!  That is the world we live in!

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yep... exactly my thoughts.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would bet their health insurance would not cover them if they yanked their backs! 

I doubt they would be covered anyway, one of the Proposal Forms questions for Insurance is " Do you partake in dangerous Sports/ pursuits or Fly an Aircraft other than a Fare paying  Passenger" :89:

Jack :smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hmmm.... There' still the small matter of affording that fast car, shipping and customs (if foreign), not to mention gas price, insurance and rego? Plus, I have no experience driving a really fast car nor driving on a track so would need a bit of instruction first...

So I will, at least for now, continue the dreaming... 

I believe you can import one car free of duty on the SRRV. You can get a fairly speedy car used for 20K used and have some work done on it and import it. One of the few benefits I see in the SRRV. In the Philippines a grocery getting Mom-mobile like a Honda Pilot costs a mint because of it's 3.5L displacement?

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

In the Philippines a grocery getting Mom-mobile like a Honda Pilot costs a mint because of it's 3.5L displacement?

I'm not sure importing a Honda model that isn't sold in the Philippines (and a recent one with lots of electronics) will make for an easy ownership experience.

Earlier cars with simple petrol engines and carbies would be ok otherwise I'd suggest something sold locally to avoid the parts headache - maybe a Honda Odyssey (if you want to import) or a Toyota Innova (if you want to buy locally) ?

Honestly it's hard enough sometimes to get parts for cars that are sold locally, let alone one that isn't.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'm not sure importing a Honda model that isn't sold in the Philippines (and a recent one with lots of electronics) will make for an easy ownership experience.

Earlier cars with simple petrol engines and carbies would be ok otherwise I'd suggest something sold locally to avoid the parts headache - maybe a Honda Odyssey (if you want to import) or a Toyota Innova (if you want to buy locally) ?

Honestly it's hard enough sometimes to get parts for cars that are sold locally, let alone one that isn't.

There are some Honda pilots on the used market in the Philippines and they have outrageous price tags. I wouldn't recommend importing one either, it's just an example of importing something on the SRRV that would cost a small fortune done the regular way because of the luxury tax on petrol engine displacement above a certain size, of passenger vehicles.

Edited by robert k
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, robert k said:

I believe you can import one car free of duty on the SRRV. You can get a fairly speedy car used for 20K used and have some work done on it and import it. One of the few benefits I see in the SRRV. In the Philippines a grocery getting Mom-mobile like a Honda Pilot costs a mint because of it's 3.5L displacement?

I didn't know that, Robert. Thanks for the information. I will be looking to replace my ageing Mazda some time, although I am not sure I would go for a speedster - really don't need it and where could I drive fast (except at a track 100's of km (and a long ferry ride) from here. I am happy to fantasize, at least for now. Something between a Corvette and an SUV? And no, not one of those 700 hp SUVs either!:laugh: That's interesting about that SRRV benefit... I will probably end up with a commonly available car here so repairs and parts are easy to find and - hopefully - reasonably priced? Next door neighbour just drove home a new Mustang GT. I haven't checked it out yet, but it sounds awesome!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That's how I am thinking too, Geoff... However, I might try to find something in a diesel - I like the fuel economy and I don't need to smoke the tires between traffic jams with jackrabbit starts!:smile: Parts for my Mazda are tough to find and very expensive - the local dealership is useless but I found a great mechanic shop that does quality repairs.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I didn't know that, Robert. Thanks for the information. I will be looking to replace my ageing Mazda some time, although I am not sure I would go for a speedster - really don't need it and where could I drive fast (except at a track 100's of km (and a long ferry ride) from here. I am happy to fantasize, at least for now. Something between a Corvette and an SUV? And no, not one of those 700 hp SUVs either!:laugh: That's interesting about that SRRV benefit... I will probably end up with a commonly available car here so repairs and parts are easy to find and - hopefully - reasonably priced? Next door neighbour just drove home a new Mustang GT. I haven't checked it out yet, but it sounds awesome!

There are the expressways on Luzon, that's about it. Someone mentioned a track in Cebu.

• Like 1