Mindanao earthquake

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Now I think I know why I keep feeling like there are small earthquakes often... It's because there are!

Here's the Phivolcs link that provides great and very current information - as current as 10 minutes from occurrence to posting. 

https://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/index.php/earthquake/earthquake-information3

I checked this link just now and counted up 46 earthquakes since midnight last night. They ranged from 1.6-3.9 but were mostly about 2 more or less. They were mostly in the Cotabato area with the exception of a few small ones in Cebu, Bohol and other spots scattered around Mindanao.

No wonder I keep feeling unsteady just while sitting at the table here...

Suggested by yours truly back on page 8 :)  There are times here when I will randomly get a mild vertigo sensation.  Never thought much about it because I have a hearing imbalance, which gave me some severe vertigo for time when I was in my 30s.  But seeing the dozens and hundreds of tiny tremors on Philvolcs leads me to suspect otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Suggested by yours truly back on page 8 :)  There are times here when I will randomly get a mild vertigo sensation.  Never thought much about it because I have a hearing imbalance, which gave me some severe vertigo for time when I was in my 30s.  But seeing the dozens and hundreds of tiny tremors on Philvolcs leads me to suspect otherwise. 

Absolutely, Marvin. Sorry I didn't quote you about that before. I remembered your comment there and that was what inspired me to investigate further and check for ongoing tremors. I - so far (fingers crossed) - don't have any hearing problems, nor does L. But we both definitely keep getting these sensations of movement. I think some of it is psychological, but also some of it is real... 

Updated information at 10 am shows much less earthquake activity since even yesterday. There are lots of mini-quakes, but mostly less than 2.5... I hope that means that the main event is done for a while... 

Edited by Tommy T.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Absolutely, Marvin. Sorry I didn't quote you about that before. I remembered your comment there and that was what inspired me to investigate further and check for ongoing tremors. I - so far (fingers crossed) - don't have any hearing problems, nor does L. But we both definitely keep getting these sensations of movement. I think some of it is psychological, but also some of it is real... 

Updated information at 10 am shows much less earthquake activity since even yesterday. There are lots of mini-quakes, but mostly less than 2.5... I hope that means that the main event is done for a while... 

Oh I wasn't looking for credit, just thought you maybe missed it.  When we had EQ here on Panay several months back it was the same thing, i.e. dozens of aftershocks.  After you see the list on Philvolcs, its like..."oh yeah I did feel something weird around 10:00 this morning".  Like sitting at my desk typing on the computer and a sudden sense of wobbly.  Look around, nobody else noticed *shrugs*. 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Oh I wasn't looking for credit, just thought you maybe missed it.  When we had EQ here on Panay several months back it was the same thing, i.e. dozens of aftershocks.  After you see the list on Philvolcs, its like..."oh yeah I did feel something weird around 10:00 this morning".  Like sitting at my desk typing on the computer and a sudden sense of wobbly.  Look around, nobody else noticed *shrugs*. 

Would a simple visual aid help? Something that you can look at to see it vibrating or swinging perhaps? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Would a simple visual aid help? Something that you can look at to see it vibrating or swinging perhaps? 

When in the apartment, I look directly at the water bottle perched on its dispenser. If I think I feel something odd, I look to see if the water is sloshing. Also I may check my coffee cup or water glass that is always at hand. There is also a Korean bell souvenir on a table that has an external clacker that will move, so lots of things here. But, as soon as we are out, then we are never sure. So, sometimes I will do as Marvin does and check the quake logs on Philvolcs to see if something happened when we thought... 

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Looks like at least a hundred tremors in Cotabato over the last several days, amazing amount of shakin' going on.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

And now Quezon province is also getting a bit shook up. I hope they don't experience there what we have had here....

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if nearby areas do get follow up quakes, as one fault line shifts it can alter the stress on other nearby faults causing them to slip.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Eastern Samar had one today. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted

Two Earthquakes last night in Valacia, Negros Oriental. 3.8 and 3.6. 01:31 and 04:05  hours.

• Like 1