Mindanao earthquake

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You've seen how they build here Tom. If the visible structures leave a lot to be desired than imagine how a hidden structure, with its only purpose to hold sh*# and p!#%, is constructed!

Good point, HK... So true!

Good thing there is no fan around or the s*** would certainly hit it!:hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You've seen how they build here Tom. If the visible structures leave a lot to be desired than imagine how a hidden structure, with its only purpose to hold sh*# and p!#%, is constructed!

Probably why they never need emptying out. 

• Haha 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

L and I are still feeling sort of a vertigo at times. After thinking about it, I remember now that with each of the strongest quakes, I did not realize they were earthquakes at first. One time I was bending over to get something in the kitchen and suddenly started to feel dizzy and unsteady, then L said it was a quake. The second time I was chatting with a mechanic at his shop about some repair work he is doing on my car and had that exact same feeling - a bit of dizziness and unsteady, like I was about fall or faint. Then the mechanic and everyone else became alarmed and we staggered outside as it jolted. The third time when at our home site, those same eerie feelings before the realization - and movement - really hit.

I keep watching the water bottle often now, looking for movement to match my senses. I don't like these feelings and the nervousness that comes from them...

I am interested in any opinions about evacuation. We live in a third floor apartment that has a concrete slab terrace overhead with three water tanks there. The roof is all reinforced to carry the weight of two 1500 liter tanks and one 600 liter tank.

So I wonder which is the safest thing to do when an earthquake strikes? I find it difficult to walk during the strongest ones and am afraid that negotiating the concrete stairs would be more dangerous than just hanging tight here. L thinks to go to the roof to be safest since it is only one story up. She reasons that there is nothing to fall on top of us there either. Or she suggests getting out altogether but it would take time and possibly be more dangerous. So far the building - about 4 years old - is only showing a number of hairline cracks. Some are recent from the latest quakes and some have been there a while but a few have grown a bit longer and a bit wider - only so I can stick my fingernail into it...

Have you considered rigging something up like a couple of bosuns chairs and bailing out through the window ?

Your choice is a tough one Tommy, I dont envy you on that one

Personally I'd be more inclined to get out of the building ,with the roof as a second choice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for your thoughts Ken. Is that Cagayan de Oro - CDO? Have you felt these strongly there?

Plastic vs. cement for the tank? I know they sell a lot of them in USA. I think it depends on what kind of plastic? Properly manufactured fiberglass would be up to the job but I would not trust un-reinforced plastic. It might crack, but that could be repaired. It would also depend on the installation. Poor installation means no material would work...

I am very curious why an in-ground hollow block tank would crack. I would think that, with liquid inside and soil or sand outside would offer equal stresses and that it all would move the same way. But if there are rocks or other things, then maybe that would be the cause? I am also not an engineer so don't have the answer.

Interesting that they make the tanks out of hollow block. I remember the tanks we installed for our home in USA - solid concrete tanks shipped complete on flatbed truck with it's own crane to lift and install. Of course that would be too expensive here for both the truck and tanks. Here labour is cheap.

Yes, we are in Cagayan de Oro. We have felt each of the three main tremors. The middle one being the scariest. Apart from a couple of tiles cracked in the bathroom, no obvious signs of damage.

Perhaps the 'plastic' septic tank I referred too could very well be fibreglass, thinking about it. I doubt they would have moulds large enough to form plastic ones.

The house currently being constructed next door has a hollow block septic tank consisting of three chambers. It is lined with a smooth cement like finish, I guess to make it watertight.

Ken

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

The house currently being constructed next door has a hollow block septic tank consisting of three chambers. It is lined with a smooth cement like finish, I guess to make it watertight.

Yeah... we think the second quake was the worst - very abrupt and very sharp jolting. Of course, it actually was the strongest, but its character was much nastier than any others in our opinion...

Ours will be two tanks in one common structure plus a separate third tank - all of hollow block. It sounds like the one next door to you is the same or similar. It also sounds like the lining is probably just the usual masa - plaster of cement without stones...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Now I think I know why I keep feeling like there are small earthquakes often... It's because there are!

Here's the Phivolcs link that provides great and very current information - as current as 10 minutes from occurrence to posting. 

https://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/index.php/earthquake/earthquake-information3

I checked this link just now and counted up 46 earthquakes since midnight last night. They ranged from 1.6-3.9 but were mostly about 2 more or less. They were mostly in the Cotabato area with the exception of a few small ones in Cebu, Bohol and other spots scattered around Mindanao.

No wonder I keep feeling unsteady just while sitting at the table here...

Edited by Tommy T.

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Now I think I know why I keep feeling like there are small earthquakes often... It's because there are!

Here's the Phivolcs link that provides great and very current information - as current as 10 minutes from occurrence to posting. 

I checked this link just now and counted up 46 earthquakes since midnight last night. They ranged from 1.6-3.9 but were mostly about 2 more or less. They were mostly in the Cotabato area with the exception of a few small ones in Cebu, Bohol and other spots scattered around Mindanao.

Hang in there Tommy wish you and your lady all the best. Here in Negros felt nothing.

• Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I just followed that link @Tommy T. it makes for sober reading 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

At least some of the schools here are still closed to students because it is taking a while for city engineers to check everywhere.

L told me that, in one of the older buildings in her school, the floor had sunk in the middle making it unsafe and, of course, unusable. There are also a number of cracks in walls that need to be checked. After watching the shoddy appearing construction of some new classrooms, I am a bit surprised the entire buildings didn't crash.

Classes are scheduled to resume tomorrow unless there are further issues identified.