Corona Virus

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

This article about what's happening with regards to a Corona Virus vaccine sums things up pretty well I thought (worth a read).

https://theconversation.com/where-are-we-at-with-developing-a-vaccine-for-coronavirus-134784?fbclid=IwAR17O44-X23pMEMfCv7f-fxhUXlXtfwqDh8TGh2Ykq2DJleLJ3O62TuH-B8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

This article about what's happening with regards to a Corona Virus vaccine sums things up pretty well I thought (worth a read).

https://theconversation.com/where-are-we-at-with-developing-a-vaccine-for-coronavirus-134784?fbclid=IwAR17O44-X23pMEMfCv7f-fxhUXlXtfwqDh8TGh2Ykq2DJleLJ3O62TuH-B8

Good article Jeff how ever kinda hard to get the head around it upon first read....Sobering to say the least.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2020 at 2:08 PM, peterfe said:

Sweden is taking a less hysterical attitude (though too far away to travel for my holiday), with many restaurants and bars open, and it actually has slightly fewer cases per head of population than Denmark and much less than Norway.

On another note, why does everybody quote the number of people who have caught the virus including those who have recovered? Surely the ones who've recovered (about 21% at the moment) aren't relevant. Will they still be including them in, say, six months time when they've reached, say, 90%?  

There was a doco on BBC last night about this, unfortunately was not able to see it.

peterfe
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, RBM said:

There was a doco on BBC last night about this, unfortunately was not able to see it.

About which of the two points? I think the first one is interesting - Sweden is in many ways similar to Norway and Denmark but has fewer cases in spite of fewer restrictions on everyday life. Maybe when this is all over, we'll find that countries that didn't "shut down society" so much had about the same number of cases and got rid of the virus equally quickly as the countries that did...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you, as always, professor Geoff, with your wonderful insights and directions for more education!

Much more of your time and experience and maybe I will finally apply for Masters or even PHD degree!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, peterfe said:

About which of the two points? I think the first one is interesting - Sweden is in many ways similar to Norway and Denmark but has fewer cases in spite of fewer restrictions on everyday life. Maybe when this is all over, we'll find that countries that didn't "shut down society" so much had about the same number of cases and got rid of the virus equally quickly as the countries that did...

Sweden

peterfe
Posted
Posted (edited)

It seems that most people here (and in the world) are convinced that strict lockdowns are the way to tackle the virus. I'm not saying they're not (look how successful the Chinese have been!) but I think it's always good to get a balanced view. Have a look at an article in the Australian today: 

Edited by Old55
Deleted the pay to view link

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Peter, the link you provided was a pay to view only. No offense but I deleted it. If you would care to copy or paraphrase it here for us that would be helpful. :tiphat:

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I agree with Sweden's approach to the virus but I don't think there are many other countries with the discipline to pull it off, and I also don't think there's many countries with the discipline to pull off a proper lockdown, the lockdown is only as good as it's weakest link, and that's also true globally. So when will this end? Are we going to allow this to slow roll and destroy economies and our sanity only to do it all over again when a new virus surfaces or this one comes back around or mutates to a more deadly strain? I'm not an expert, it's just my gut telling me this is not the way, and I'm pretty much a liberal in my politics so I'm nor spewing something from anyone's agenda here, I'm not a young person either so I'm at risk, I just think we are doing so much to stay alive but what we have here is not living.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I agree with Sweden's approach to the virus but I don't think there are many other countries with the discipline to pull it off, and I also don't think there's many countries with the discipline to pull off a proper lockdown, the lockdown is only as good as it's weakest link, and that's also true globally. So when will this end? Are we going to allow this to slow roll and destroy economies and our sanity only to do it all over again when a new virus surfaces or this one comes back around or mutates to a more deadly strain? I'm not an expert, it's just my gut telling me this is not the way, and I'm pretty much a liberal in my politics so I'm nor spewing something from anyone's agenda here, I'm not a young person either so I'm at risk, I just think we are doing so much to stay alive but what we have here is not living.

I think most governments are out of their depth in terms of managing this, and are simply reverting to what seems to make sense. The Swedish approach, which the UK gov was kinda thinking of going with, is counter intuitive so too controversial for many to follow. Get it wrong and hundreds of thousands die, rather than tens of thousands. It's a gamble.

We are existing to some extent at the moment but they are working flat out on a vaccine so we just hunker down and wait.

Yes, we may resove this and then another pops up but that's nothing new - we have had epidemics and even pandemics since time began. We are better placed now to manage them.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic