How's that retirement penson going?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have some money to invest now but I think there will be another pullback. 

Boeing looks good now at the current price, as does Southwest Airlines. The 737 Max is being tested in Canada now (by Boeing). Vaccines are coming out, rapid pre-flight tests are being used, and the 2nd covid + is less severe than the 1st time, almost nothing, so travel will return. Day trading can be done with the cruise lines, they are bouncing around.

Always good to wait for a pull back like in 2009 and just last March/April. I got Apple at $220 when China sneezed and now it is at $500.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Boeing looks good now at the current price, as does Southwest Airlines. The 737 Max is being tested in Canada now (by Boeing). Vaccines are coming out, rapid pre-flight tests are being used, and the 2nd covid + is less severe than the 1st time, almost nothing, so travel will return. Day trading can be done with the cruise lines, they are bouncing around.

Always good to wait for a pull back like in 2009 and just last March/April. I got Apple at $220 when China sneezed and now it is at $500.

I was looking at Boeing last year.  It does look attractive right now.  It has been trading in a narrow range for the past few months.  I might make a bet on it.  Southwest is also attractive!  Thanks for the tips!

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Dare I say..... esteemed colleagues........ Tontines seem a particularly attractive investment vehicle at the moment.

Alas..... but where to find in this modern day, by Jove ?   :89:  

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Joey G said:

Sorry... but if someone told you that... they are so wrong... 495 of the 500 are NOT down.... not even close. Don't want to argue... but that's totally inaccurate.

This chart is from one month ago. It is a 5 year chart so look at the last year. It clearly shows that the top 5 tech companies

are what is driving the S&P 500 price upward.

SP-500-SP-5-vs.-SP-495.png

Edited by earthdome

Joey G
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, earthdome said:

This chart is from one month ago. It is a 5 year chart so look at the last year.

Friendly argument here is please don't take as a negative reply....

I don't see substantially down, I do see substantially up.  But that is the problem with kind of statistics... what if they took the bottom 5 out of 495... what would it would like? What would the top 250 versus the bottom 250 look like... or the top 100 versus the bottom 400.....and on and on and on.  My "beef" with financial advisors (not you) is that they put up these sort of charts/statistics to make a point they think is relevant and too often try to act like they know more than us... in this chart it's that 495 companies are doing poorly... if you buy into that... you could make bad decisions.

Edited by Joey G
missing word

earthdome
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Friendly argument here is please don't take as a negative reply....

I don't see substantially down, I do see substantially up.  But that is the problem with kind of statistics... what if they took the bottom 5 out of 495... what would it would like? What would the top 250 versus the bottom 250 look like... or the top 100 versus the bottom 400.....and on and on and on.  My "beef" with financial advisors (not you) is that they put up these sort of charts/statistics to make a point they think is relevant and too often try to act like they know more than us... in this chart it's that 495 companies are doing poorly... if you buy into that... you could make bad decisions.

It seems your problem is with financial advisors. My part of the post regarding the S&P5 was not based on any information from my financial advisor but was from other news sources. I have never discussed it with them. The point about the S&P 5 is that those 5 stocks comprise almost 25% of the stock value in the S&P 500. So 1% of the stocks are responsible now for almost 25% of the value represented by all of the S&P 500. What happens to those 5 can mask what is happening to the remaining stocks. If you are unaware of that... you could make bad decisions.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, earthdome said:

This chart is from one month ago. It is a 5 year chart so look at the last year.

I couldn't really see your chart but I was able to find the same that I could read.  The 495 have not done that bad during the 5 years.  They were negative after the last crash but it appears they are up about 25% over the 5 years now.  Pre-crash, it appears they were up about 40%.  If you look at YTD, I think they are lightly  negative.

Those 5 are at ridiculous levels, compared to earnings, and most have benefited from Covid.  There are a lot of opinions out there that these 5 could take a hit.  If they do, the 500 index price will take a hit.  If I were in a S&P 500 index fund, this would worry me!  Good that you brought it up.  If those 5 do crash, it would be a good time to buy into the S&P 500 index.

I only own one stock fund, SCHD, and not much.  Solid dividend stocks and it has 3.54% yield.  I may buy more at the end of the month.  Everything else I own is bond related.  Around 35% cash.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, earthdome said:

It seems your problem is with financial advisors. My part of the post regarding the S&P5 was not based on any information from my financial advisor but was from other news sources. I have never discussed it with them. The point about the S&P 5 is that those 5 stocks comprise almost 25% of the stock value in the S&P 500. So 1% of the stocks are responsible now for almost 25% of the value represented by all of the S&P 500. What happens to those 5 can mask what is happening to the remaining stocks. If you are unaware of that... you could make bad decisions.

Yeah sorry... did not mean it come out as your financial advisor said anything or you discussed it with them.  My point is that financial statistics and charts can be manipulated in several ways.  I don't have a problem with financial advisors per se...  and I would never use statistics and charts to make a decision... I look  at all the other financials involved... but's thats me. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I couldn't really see your chart but I was able to find the same that I could read.  The 495 have not done that bad during the 5 years.  They were negative after the last crash but it appears they are up about 25% over the 5 years now.  Pre-crash, it appears they were up about 40%.  If you look at YTD, I think they are lightly  negative.

Those 5 are at ridiculous levels, compared to earnings, and most have benefited from Covid.  There are a lot of opinions out there that these 5 could take a hit.  If they do, the 500 index price will take a hit.  If I were in a S&P 500 index fund, this would worry me!  Good that you brought it up.  If those 5 do crash, it would be a good time to buy into the S&P 500 index.

I only own one stock fund, SCHD, and not much.  Solid dividend stocks and it has 3.54% yield.  I may buy more at the end of the month.  Everything else I own is bond related.  Around 35% cash.

Of the 25% of my managed retirement portfolio currently invested (the remaining 75% is still in cash) it is split between some industry related funds and individual stocks. Nothing is invested in broad market funds or mutual funds.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

How's that retirement penson going?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1