2 Weeks Supply

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Hobbit112 said:

Nah, I just like tinned sardines and tuna on skyflakes! :hystery: Got the generator the day after Ursula and the following day my electricity was back!

Fine... deflate my ego... hahaha... :hystery: \

I still think it is better to be a bit prepared than caught up short I think it is my sailing mentality still flying...

• Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Do you have a generator or motorcycle to get around?  

Got a couple of bicycles, but no generator.  A few gallons of gas for the van, which I don't even need to drive if we are well stocked.  But say if you had to drive to the port to pick up someone, or whatever.  I lived through one of the East Coast USA hurricanes (Isabel?) where we were without power for 3 weeks or so.  Its amazing how few gas stations were functional. 

Edited by Marvin Boggs

gery0x
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I figure you guys can help me think of a list of typical staples that every household will need. 

Cellphone-load!!

How are you supposed to post on the Philippines Expat Forum when there is a blackout and hence no WiFi! :shock_40_anim_gif:

Today we had a blackout of 1 hour and the first thing I did was go to the store and load 100 Pesos to my phone so that I have internet connection.

In case that there is no food available in the stores anymore, why not just go fishing?! I mean, we all live on islands, and all islands have one thing in common: there's water around them. :mocking:

If you have no generator, an inverter connected to a running car's battery will do the job aswell.

What I did stock up on this week was beer - no joke!

Nobody knows if and when the Pinoys come to the livesaving idea of implementing a liquor ban, which they sometimes believe is the one and only solution for everything...

But at the end of the day, I think all of this will not be necessary as long as there are no cuts in the delivery chains...

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Cellphone-load!!

How are you supposed to post on the Philippines Expat Forum when there is a blackout and hence no WiFi! :shock_40_anim_gif:

Today we had a blackout of 1 hour and the first thing I did was go to the store and load 100 Pesos to my phone so that I have internet connection.

You can load your phone online via your banks app or website.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

You can load your phone online via your banks app or website.

That's what I do.  

Using recharge .  com at the moment...and paying with Paypal.

Can also load other people's phones with it of course (that of the Mrs, for example) .

Only for 'emergencies', as I rarely use my cellphone away from the house.

Edited by graham59

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Fine... deflate my ego... hahaha... :hystery: \

I still think it is better to be a bit prepared than caught up short I think it is my sailing mentality still flying...

Your comment in the other thread about "what will people do" is quite apropos here.  Indeed, what to do if commerce is shut down for a period of time?  A lot of people say a global 'reset' of the financial system is coming (has been coming for some time).  Good reasons to have some supplies on hand.  

You probably have some yachting perspective that is quite applicable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, gery0x said:

In case that there is no food available in the stores anymore, why not just go fishing?! I mean, we all live on islands, and all islands have one thing in common: there's water around them. :mocking:

Gery... Would you seriously consider eating fish caught out here near Davao City? I am not being sarcastic... but I look at the water here and see all the raw sewage flowing out from the Davao River continually... I refuse to eat farmed fish and just try to eat pelagic fish - I would prefer to take my chances these days on plastic instead of polio, hepatitis or the myriad other diseases passed downstream...

• Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Pelagic?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Pelagic?

Open ocean fish compared to reef or coastal fish... so tuna, some groupers, some mackerel, swordfish, marlin, etc... and my absolute favourite... mahi mahi... yum...

Quoted from online:

Pelagic fish live in the pelagic zone of ocean or lake waters – being neither close to the bottom nor near the shore – in contrast with demersal fish that do live on or near the bottom, and reef fish that are associated with coral reefs.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1