2 Weeks Supply

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Dang it Tom, I expect to learn something here by 9am every day, and here it's already 9:30! 

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Dang it Tom, I expect to learn something here by 9am every day, and here it's already 9:30! 

Sorry... I was slow today... Coffee was not ready before 9 am... :sad: I will try to not let that happen again...

And please trust me... I am not a fount of information, but just repeat what others have already said...:smile: Ask L and she will confirm that!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 4

gery0x
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Would you seriously consider eating fish caught out here near Davao City? I am not being sarcastic... but I look at the water here and see all the raw sewage flowing out from the Davao River continually...

Well, certainly not from the area in or around the Davao River of course! Eew..

But nothing compares to the catch you can make a little bit off the coast of Samal for example (should be reachable by boat during a lockdown, too)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Well, certainly not from the area in or around the Davao River of course! Eew..

But nothing compares to the catch you can make a little bit off the coast of Samal for example (should be reachable by boat during a lockdown, too)

Sorry, Gery... but I think I have a rant going now...

I hear you, but am still not very confident about the quality  of the fish here

Seriously... this entire gulf is like one giant sewer to me. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but that is my perception. How many millions of people live here and how many are using a real sewage treatment system? Go to the Sasa ferry terminal and look around at the squalid dwellings there that obviously do not have sewage treatment.

My yacht was anchored right next to a fish farm in a nearby country a few years ago. We were there first, then the company moved in  the fish farm and populated it...

My wife and I peed and pooed less than 10 meters from the captured fish - milk fish, they were called there... I watched the minders come by a couple times daily to feed the fish their pellets... And the fish were absolutely packed so closely that they could barely move around... No way will I ever eat that type of fish... I think here it is known as tilapia? not sure about that... I would prefer to eat African Swine Fever contaminated pork or Mad Cow infected beef or maybe the recently infected poultry that is diseased from China also?

Any bottom type of bottom feeding  fish or mussels or clams eat whatever rubbish settles to the bottom - yuck.

Think about all the people living around this gulf and all the accumulated things (that I will not describe) that are floating or sinking around the area.

This all extends far beyond the Davao River... I am not an alarmist, but, I think I am a realist...

And maybe soon I might need to become a vegetarian!!!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Miles away or outside of the Gulf of Davao I would probably trust... But inside the gulf...? I am not so sanguine, Gery...sorry... And maybe I am wrong... won't be the first time...

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted (edited)

Both Tilapia and Bangus (milkfish) are grown in brackish water ponds. Some bangus in ocean aquaculture pens.  I don't think you can find a Pinoy who doesn't eat them with some regularity, even in the USA. They are a food mainstay.

Edited by manofthecoldland
typo

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, gery0x said:

How are you supposed to post on the Philippines Expat Forum when there is a blackout and hence no WiFi!

You answered your own question...... Car battery and an inverter.   I have a 12v inverter and 12v battery for such emergences.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Car battery and an inverter.   I have a 12v inverter and 12v battery for such emergences.

Yes Jim but on a Brownout most providers go down too :89: Your PC will work but will the Modem have a signal from the provider

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes Jim but on a Brownout most providers go down too :89: Your PC will work but will the Modem have a signal from the provider

Correct, jack.

I'm with Globe - in a brownout I use a smartphone power bank and a 5v-12v power lead adaptor to connect my modem to the powerbank - works a treat and never lets me down.  However, after a couple of hours or so the Globe cabinet runs out of juice and the connection is lost.  The weakest point in the chain is the one that breaks and it's outside our control.  Of course, we can use the data connection outside but that's patchy at best dependant on your location.  

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

Both Tilapia and Bangus (milkfish) are grown in brackish water ponds. Some bangus in ocean aquaculture pens.  I don't think you can find a Pinoy who doesn't eat them with some regularity, even in the USA. They are a food mainstay.

Agreed... L loves the bangus (thanks for reminding me of what "milkfish" are called here) and eats it regularly. After seeing it raised in captivity under those conditions, I refuse to touch it. Just my preference...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1