PLDT Upgrade

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

Tommy, for the Firestik you will need a VPN that is good for streaming.  Not all VPNs are good for that and usuall the low cost ones don't work well for streaming.  Your experience may vary...

I've not got round to getting one yet. Express looks the best but more than $6 a month, looking for one about $3 a month. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

I've not got round to getting one yet. Express looks the best but more than $6 a month, looking for one about $3 a month. 

Give Surfshark a try, they're reliable and offer good speeds plus they even offer multi-hop server connections for higher security links.  I used Express for the last few years (and they are good) but I got SurfShark through a deal 12 months ago.

It has run without any more issues than Express VPN for the last 6 months and when my yearly Express VPN came due a couple of months back I didn't bother renewing and I've just been using SurfShark.

Be aware if you want to use bit torrent for downloading it will send you to a few special torrent servers, you can't just download torrents on your preferred local server. 

Other than that it works as well as Express VPN and it's currently under $3 US per month on a deal (NB this deal link expires soon).

https://surfshark.com/deals?coupon=sharkspecial&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC5i12kjcJ_qNvnCi6FBVRujSdjgONPjaq9laMvQubB2gsjKidj7V0xoC0NsQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Give Surfshark a try, they're reliable and offer good speeds plus they even offer multi-hop server connections for higher security links.  I used Express for the last few years (and they are good) but I got SurfShark through a deal 12 months ago.

It has run without any more issues than Express VPN for the last 6 months and when my yearly Express VPN came due a couple of months back I didn't bother renewing and I've just been using SurfShark.

Be aware if you want to use bit torrent for downloading it will send you to a few special torrent servers, you can't just download torrents on your preferred local server. 

Other than that it works as well as Express VPN and it's currently under $3 US per month on a deal (NB this deal link expires soon).

https://surfshark.com/deals?coupon=sharkspecial&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC5i12kjcJ_qNvnCi6FBVRujSdjgONPjaq9laMvQubB2gsjKidj7V0xoC0NsQAvD_BwE

Great minds think alike GeoffH, I tried SurfShark but it couldn't unblock BBC iplayer, the main reason to have a VPN.

I had expressvpn for 12 months and that unblocked BBC iplayer but at $6 it's above my budget. There's a few that claim they unblock BBC iplayer. I will wait till I get my refund from Surfshark, they said it will take 7 to 10 days. Not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Streaming : Need picnic basket :tiphat:

a stream.jpg

Looks faster than my streams.

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Great minds think alike GeoffH, I tried SurfShark but it couldn't unblock BBC iplayer, the main reason to have a VPN.

The UK manchester server unblocks BritBox, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't unlock BBC iplayer but it is a continual tug of war between the VPN companies and the content providers.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The UK manchester server unblocks BritBox, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't unlock BBC iplayer but it is a continual tug of war between the VPN companies and the content providers.

I tried different protocols including the Manchester one, I thought it might be my PC but I tried it on my firestick which has more advanced drivers, could not unblock bbc. 

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 10/16/2020 at 9:29 AM, GeoffH said:

My Express VPN doesn’t unblock BBC iPlayer for me either. I guess the BBC are getting adept at out foxing the VPN providers.

• Sad 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

My Express VPN doesn’t unblock BBC iPlayer for me either. I guess the BBC are getting adept at out foxing the VPN providers.

Have you tried changing the protocols in advanced settings. Express unblocked BBC iplayer for me. but not going to pay over 6 quid a month. I get UK tv for nowt through my firestick but still need a good VPN. 

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use Keepsolid's VPN Unlimited which says it unblocks BBC iPlayer. 
Free 7 day trial. https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/help/streaming 

I scored a Lifetime deal for less than $50 US from CNN.  Good for uipto 5 devices and can also be installed on some routers.

What app do you use to play BBC iPlayer?  there are many listed on Android but which one works?

Latly I have been having isues downloading country specific apps.  Even with my VPN running Google Play

VPN appears to be working, website wants me to register and defaults to United Kingdom for Country.

Edited by Hobbit112
  • Like 1