PLDT Upgrade

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Ah, okay... now I understand - sort-of. I am totally ignorant about streaming and actually a lot of what the internet provides. I am a plugger of old school programming and computer capabilities. But give me a wrench, screwdriver and C basic and I can fly!

It's the size of a thumb drive so you can take it with you, just need a HDMI port to plug into your TV, laptop or computer.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, jimeve said:

It's the size of a thumb drive so you can take it with you, just need a HDMI port to plug into your TV, laptop or computer.

That sounds really good. I guess I need to get me one of those!

What sort of TV programs can you get with this? Any US news? Cable channels?

Sorry for all the questions, but this thing intrigues me and sounds very good at a reasonable price.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

That sounds really good. I guess I need to get me one of those!

What sort of TV programs can you get with this? Any US news? Cable channels?

Sorry for all the questions, but this thing intrigues me and sounds very good at a reasonable price.

Forgot to mention, better to have a good VPN to hide your IP. Then you can get more TV programs from USA, Canada, UK.

Most news channels, like Fox news, sports, Amazon Prime but you need an Amazon account for that one.

Best bet is to look on google or YouTube, loads of information on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Forgot to mention, better to have a good VPN to hide your IP. Then you can get more TV programs from USA, Canada, UK.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Jim.

Yeah, I understand. I already have a great VPN now that sets me in San Francisco. In the six months using it, it has been wonderful and makes access to banks, investments, etc. very easy. It's definitely worth the few dollars annually for the service. I wish I knew about this before... So...still learning...

I have not done anything with You Tube so I guess that will be my next learning.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah, I understand. I already have a great VPN now that sets me in San Francisco. In the six months using it, it has been wonderful and makes access to banks, investments, etc. very easy. It's definitely worth the few dollars annually for the service.

Tommy, for the Firestik you will need a VPN that is good for streaming.  Not all VPNs are good for that and usuall the low cost ones don't work well for streaming.  Your experience may vary...

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Tommy, for the Firestik you will need a VPN that is good for streaming.  Not all VPNs are good for that and usuall the low cost ones don't work well for streaming.  Your experience may vary...

Thanks for that, Hobbit. I guess I will just have to try it out with the VPN I am using now and see if it flies. If not, then I can always change. But now I understand why it may not work well - another thing to contemplate.

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just now, I ran a speed test using the internet connection with the cell system and the VPN in San Francisco. It showed a very steady 10 mbs/sec. I have not yet tried testing the VPN with the PLDT landline fiber connection. So that will happen next time I remember to take the laptop to the home.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

Most news channels, like Fox news, sports, Amazon Prime but you need an Amazon account for that one.

Best bet is to look on google or YouTube, loads of information on YouTube.

Isn't a firestick simply a way to turn a "normal" TV into a smart TV? 

insite
Posted
Posted

Have a look at this Tommy , explains it in full -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Isn't a firestick simply a way to turn a "normal" TV into a smart TV? 

Much more than that.

• Thanks 1