Smiling faces.... Are Filipinos truly friendly? Do you have Filipino friends?

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Where the streets have no name (and no public lightning)? :huh::wink:

Still haven't found what I'm looking for

Don't think you will either

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TerryP said:

Still haven't found what I'm looking for

Don't think you will either

I have already found who I was looking for. The rest is incidental.

Filipinos, I can't change them and they haven't changed me, either. 

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Filipina mom has apparently got a nasty bunch of friends

The single most destructive element in any Fil-Expat relationship: the Filipina mom. Unless you enjoy being a long-nosed ATM, (and apparently some do) best to find a partner without one.

It's not that they are inherently evil or anything, it's the idea in the daughters mind - again part of the 'we all help each-other' culture that is in fact so friendly to strangers - that she, and now you as her partner, are obligated to provide for her mother's financial needs.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Shady said:

The single most destructive element in any Fil-Expat relationship: the Filipina mom. Unless you enjoy being a long-nosed ATM, (and apparently some do) best to find a partner without one.

It's not that they are inherently evil or anything, it's the idea in the daughters mind - again part of the 'we all help each-other' culture that is in fact so friendly to strangers - that she, and now you as her partner, are obligated to provide for her mother's financial needs.

My C is unfortunately an orphan, she lost her Dad when she was 17 and her Mom 3 years ago, a few weeks after we started dating more seriously. I never had the pleasure to meet her Mom. Her closest family here is her Mom's elder sister, who lives in Makati and also recently lost her husband.

I could say I have been lucky to find a girl who is not only fully independent, but coming from an upper class family who wouldn't even begin to entertain the idea of turning to me for financial help. Ironically, as I am part of the family, I am the recipient of C's auntie's kindness from time to time...

Reality is, it took me a very long time, living here in the Philippines, to find this kind of girl. I liked a few of the girls I dated but I was very aware of the general stickiness of their families.

In a couple of cases, I even found myself in the embarrassing position of being liked by the girl's moms (as a provider) more than by the girl herself. :smile:

I think it's a cultural trait of the Filipino that the strongest family members are expected to step in and provide whatever help the rest of the family needs. In principle I have no trouble with that. Unfortunately this tends to become a massive incentive for certain family members to get sticky and claim unlimited financial assistance as if it was a birthright.

Worst still, they sometimes get lazy and do stupid things, in the notion that someone will be there to cover them.

Case in point, about my friend/business partner married with a Filipina. Wife's sister got pregnant with her boyfriend and, as I heard, they did it on purpose because they were convinced that my friend would be there to give them some cash every month. Neither of them even finished high school or have a job and they live in the deep province, where opportunities are scarce.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Find that living below the radar works for me.

100% this

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

My C is unfortunately an orphan, she lost her Dad when she was 17 and her Mom 3 years ago, a few weeks after we started dating more seriously. I never had the pleasure to meet her Mom. Her closest family here is her Mom's elder sister, who lives in Makati and also recently lost her husband.

I could say I have been lucky to find a girl who is not only fully independent, but coming from an upper class family who wouldn't even begin to entertain the idea of turning to me for financial help. Ironically, as I am part of the family, I am the recipient of C's auntie's kindness from time to time...

Reality is, it took me a very long time, living here in the Philippines, to find this kind of girl. I liked a few of the girls I dated but I was very aware of the general stickiness of their families.

In a couple of cases, I even found myself in the embarrassing position of being liked by the girl's moms (as a provider) more than by the girl herself. :smile:

I think it's a cultural trait of the Filipino that the strongest family members are expected to step in and provide whatever help the rest of the family needs. In principle I have no trouble with that. Unfortunately this tends to become a massive incentive for certain family members to get sticky and claim unlimited financial assistance as if it was a birthright.

Worst still, they sometimes get lazy and do stupid things, in the notion that someone will be there to cover them.

Case in point, about my friend/business partner married with a Filipina. Wife's sister got pregnant with her boyfriend and, as I heard, they did it on purpose because they were convinced that my friend would be there to give them some cash every month. Neither of them even finished high school or have a job and they live in the deep province, where opportunities are scarce.

While I appreciate your perspective could we please keep to the original topic? 

• Thanks 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

While I appreciate your perspective could we please keep to the original topic? 

To summarise my opinion: Filipinos are generally not so friendly towards us foreigners and, when they are, it's because they are hoping to get something out of their interactions with us. Lower class people are hoping for financial support, if not a long-term foreign provider for themselves and their families. Middle and upper class people may occasionally engage us for functional, business-related relationships, not differently from what we would expect in the US or UK.

I think I have lived there long enough to establish this with reasonable certainty.

On the topic of friends: I have no Filipino friends. I had to be very open and engage with a lot of locals in Davao, during my company time, and only got disappointments and headaches. Now living in Manila, tired of that, I am living "below the radar" (as @RBM put it) and only interacting with Filipinos when I absolutely have to (e.g. construction workers, condo staff).

Edited by Gandang Smile

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Why totally vague? At every reply I am giving more and more details, drawn by experience, on the topic of Filipinos being genuinely friendly (or not).

It's not part of Old's post content Gandang Smile - it's at the end of all of his posts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's not part of Old's post content Gandang Smile - it's at the end of all of his posts.

Oh that's true, sorry. I removed my initial question from the post.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Haha 1