Annoying Local Behavior

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

On purpose I don’t avoid them just brace myself for the impact.

I often do the same and occasionally there’s nowhere to sidestep to, so no other option. But sometimes, like what happened to me yesterday (which I forgot to add to my post), you get blindsided.  I was waiting to cross the street at an intersection and a young boy ran into me from behind. No harm done - a 25kg kid slow walking into a 90+ kg adult……well, you get the idea.  He was at least very apologetic. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That seems to be pretty universal here in my experience.

Yes but strangely only applies to rain, have seen locals rushing out of a swimming pool when rain coming...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I'm from Seattle and used to walk around in 60 degree weather (F) and think nothing of it.

I grew up in Monroe, a little northeast of Seattle. We would get a few weeks of 33(F) and rain that was not too fun.  Also spent 20 years in the navy working on aircraft and I swear the skipper of the aircraft carrier's steer them into the rain. So being wet does not bother me a bit.

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure if this has already been addressed here or not:

I'd really like to see the locals stop treating Filipinas who marry Westerners and move to the USA, Canada, etc. as Cash machines/ATM's who have no need to support themselves and their families in their new countries.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but if it isn't a mod can move it.

A couple of days ago we were at Wilcon looking for wallpapers. They had a decent selection of sample books BUT the "funny" thing was that all the samples were old models that couldn't be ordered. For the new models they had in stock, they didn't have a sample book. It's actually pretty difficult to imagine how a wallpaper will look just by looking at the roll 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2023 at 6:28 AM, Snowy79 said:

Just wait until you deal with someone that speaks fluent American. :whistling:

Most Americans refer to our language as English, however there are those (bear in mind, just a minority) who for numerous reasons deny the very existence of science and facts. Part of that agenda includes re-branding the name of our national language. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Most Americans refer to our language as English

From Wiki and also from common knowledge:

The United States does not have an official language at the federal level, but the most commonly used language is English (specifically, American English)

In much of the Commonwealth, we speak the King's English.

Just sayin'

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 4/6/2023 at 3:40 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

In much of the Commonwealth, we speak the King's English.

Just sayin'

Another name for what is spoken in much of the Commonwealth is International English.
Just sayin’

-snip-

International English is the concept of using the English language as a global means of communication similar to an international auxiliary language, and often refers to the movement towards an international standard for the language.[1] Related and sometimes synonymous terms include: Global English, World English, Common English, Continental English, General English, Engas (English as associate language), and Globish

-snip-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_English