Annoying Local Behavior

hk blues
Posted
Posted

No so annoying but interesting -

The house opposite is getting an external paint job, roof, walls trim etc etc.

They are doing a good job so thumbs up for that but... they seem to be working in such an inefficient way in that they are doing it area by area rather then 'colour by colour'.  They started with the back roof, then went to the back sofits then the back wall, then the front roof; then moved on to the left side sofit, then wall then right side and so on.  Bear in mind they don't need to move scaffold around which would justify such a strategy.

Is it just me or would it not be more normal to finish the whole roof, then do all the sofits then all the walls?  

It's taken them at least 6 or 7 days thus far and they haven't even started on one side or the front or the terrace areas.  I know they payment system may encourage slow work but they are taking it to a new level.  Almost admirable. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They are doing a good job so thumbs up for that but... they seem to be working in such an inefficient way in that they are doing it area by area rather then 'colour by colour'.  They started with the back roof, then went to the back sofits then the back wall, then the front roof; then moved on to the left side sofit, then wall then right side and so on.  Bear in mind they don't need to move scaffold around which would justify such a strategy.

Is it just me or would it not be more normal to finish the whole roof, then do all the sofits then all the walls?  

It's taken them at least 6 or 7 days thus far and they haven't even started on one side or the front or the terrace areas.  I know they payment system may encourage slow work but they are taking it to a new level.  Almost admirable. 

Simple answer. As you suspected, paid by the hour.

Edited by Old55

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The other major downside is paint matching.  No tin of paint dries the same as another of the same colour to the trained eye.  Solution?  Mix all the tins of the same colour together and get that colour matched all over and paint all of that colour at once.  Can't do it with the above method , the paint thickens by the time you get around to the next section, to work on that colour again.  Next time you're walking around you'll see the result on houses that are supposed to be the same colour all over.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Simple answer. As you suspected, paid by the hour.

Yes, as I said that's possibly the answer but I'm more bemused as to why the owner is letting it go.  He's a local. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

The other major downside is paint matching.  No tin of paint dries the same as another of the same colour to the trained eye.  Solution?  Mix all the tins of the same colour together and get that colour matched all over and paint all of that colour at once.  Can't do it with the above method , the paint thickens by the time you get around to the next section, to work on that colour again.  Next time you're walking around you'll see the result on houses that are supposed to be the same colour all over.  

Agreed.

But, there is a relatively simple solution to the issue you mention, and one I have learned from experience to adopt.  I may be teaching granny to suck eggs here, but I always paint a whole 'panel' at a time and if I need to start on a new tin of paint I always ensure it's on a fresh panel.  Sure. the colour may not be 100% perfect but I'd be willing to bet nobody would be able to notice it as it wouldn't be side by side.  With light shading no two walls look the same even if it's from the same tin.   What I do do is, just as you describe, is mix the bit's n bob's of unfinished tins together to make one consistent colour.  

ETA - this has brought back memories from my worst ever painting mistake - I was painting a hallway which extended over 2 floors.  As you can imagine it was a big job and took a few nights.  I had to change tins halfway through and, as per my approach above, I started the new one at a corner and went on my merry way and finished the job.  My wife came home from work and immediately asked if there had been some issue.  I couldn't see the wood for the trees and checked the tins - both were the identical colour BUT...one was vinyl silk and the other was matt finish!  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I couldn't see the wood for the trees and checked the tins - both were the identical colour BUT...one was vinyl silk and the other was matt finish!  

You should've told her it was a "gradient"; all the rage a few years back 😂

• Haha 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Might have something to do with the sun?

I know from experience that moving around isn’t that bad of a idea when painting outdoors and dealing with the heat. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gas said:

Might have something to do with the sun?

I know from experience that moving around isn’t that bad of a idea when painting outdoors and dealing with the heat. 

Not really, they aren't following the shade. If they were, the whole house would be at a similar stage but it's not. They haven't even started on the front which is in shade all afternoon. 

P_X
Posted
Posted

I think a lot of people that come here are bringing their western ways with them and clinging to them fervently. 

Lighten up Francis...

There's a flow, ya gotta go with it. 

When I hear people who gripe (like many are here) in the manner they are, I expect they're also prone to road rage.

Having been on Philippines forums for nearly 2 decades now, I've observed this type of diatribe too many times to count. 

Love thy neighbor and for Pete sake, fluff it off.

The goodness here outweighs the badness by far (for me) and if it doesn't for you..then you're probably in the wrong place.

If someone stops right In Your path, who cares. You don't own it. Walk around them.

There are dogs by the thousands and they'll howl and bark and poop everywhere..the chickens are gunna be loud and the roosters will crow.

It's perspective.  It can be music to your ears, or noise pollution..but it's a choice.  100% choice on how you receive and react to everything your confronted with.

Learn to enjoy every moment you're given. There's no guarantee you're gunna wake up tomorrow.  Life is too short.

• Like 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, P_X said:

Having been on Philippines forums for nearly 2 decades now, I've observed this type of diatribe too many times to count.

My Cebuana wife and I are thinking about relocating from the US to Cebu.  I'm interested in expert opinions on how to adapt in Cebu.  How long have you lived there?