Annoying Local Behavior

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Another name for what is spoken in much of the Commonwealth is International English.
Just sayin’

:lipssealed_80_anim_gif: :gottarun_80_anim_gif:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Every furniture store I've been in here there's signs up saying "Don't sit on the furniture".  I politely apologise and do so anyway... The sales staff don't say much.  

Same thing at the new car dealers, it's pretty rare to be able to do a test drive, annoying. 

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

Much angst over the traffic in Quezon Province right now going south. People complaining because they have been sitting practically stationary for over 4 hours. This has been going on since daylight. But an aerial photo shows the drivers have turned a two way 4 lane road into a one way road. The HPG and local police seem to be powerless to do anything. 

Edited by Greglm
  • Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

A trip to Bicol Camerines Norte usually takes 8 hours by road, yesterday it was taking 12 hours to reach the halfway point at Lucerna. A lot of happy motorists I am sure.

An aerial shot of roads showed motorists turning a 2 lane road into 4 lanes, as Greg lim pointed out that motorists are turning 2 lane into 4. Why am I not surprised..

Edited by Onemore52

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

A trip to Bicol Camerines Norte usually takes 8 hours by road, yesterday it was taking 12 hours to reach the halfway point at Lucerna. A lot of happy motorists I am sure.

An aerial shot of roads showed motorists turning a 2 lane road into 4 lanes, as Greg lim pointed out that motorists are turning 2 lane into 4. Why am I not surprised..

I genuinely wouldn't even contemplate a 24-hour journey.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2023 at 10:15 AM, Greglm said:

It was strange to me also. When I was told to hurry and get out of the rain I asked why. Because it will make you sick here in the Philippines. So can I take a shower here? Yes, that is not rain.

I used to laugh at the get sick from the rain here but came to realize that often after rain I do get sick and there seems to be a reason. Now l only laugh at the hand on the head part of walking in the rain.

Likewise, in tropical Southeast Asia, people do get colds and flu because of the weather. For example, if you get caught in a sudden heavy rainfall especially after a long hot day, you can easily get sick. Why? Firstly plentiful bacteria and viruses can thrive under different conditions in the tropics. Secondly, when your body is cold, the wet skin would be unable to maintain normal body temperature, thereby weakening the body’s immune system. That is why getting drenched in rain leads to you catching a cold.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Minor everyday things that annoy me:

Refusal to buy enough of something to get us through to next shopping day.  We need so much of X to get us through, invariably half the required amount is bought home despite it being available.  I have explained that we have money and refrigeration countless times. 

Waiting until things have run out to replace them rather than doing so before they run out.  To me this is quintessential stereotypical Filipino behaviour; never do today...

Leaving TV's plugged in when not in use and lights on when not in the room and then whinging about the electricity bill.  

My wife's family are budding microbiologists:  Instead of rinsing something thoroughly and leaving for washing up later, just filling it up with water and leaving it thus creating the perfect bacterial culture.  

No, AM is not guilty of all of these, but the family...

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, BrettGC said:

Minor everyday things that annoy me:

Refusal to buy enough of something to get us through to next shopping day.  We need so much of X to get us through, invariably half the required amount is bought home despite it being available.  I have explained that we have money and refrigeration countless times. 

Waiting until things have run out to replace them rather than doing so before they run out.  To me this is quintessential stereotypical Filipino behaviour; never do today...

Leaving TV's plugged when not in use and lights on when not in the room whinging about the electricity bill.  

My wife's family are budding microbiologists:  Instead of rinsing something thoroughly and leaving for washing up later, just filling it up with water and leaving it thus creating the perfect bacterial culture.  

I'm with you on the shopping part especially, but after 10 or so years it's definitely getting better. I still haven't had any success with the shampoo sachets though!

I guess it's simply down to the ingrained culture of waste not, want not (which is practised in theory only in many ways here) so having too much of anything is seen as  waste.  A recent example of mine was tea bags - I like Coles brand and SM were running low on the cup type so I suggested we buy an extra box or two - suggestion rejected. A couple of weeks later we need to buy more and, of course....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Refusal to buy enough of something to get us through to next shopping day.

Whenever a government official declared, "There's plenty of rice," it was time to go and immediately buy three 50 kilo sacks.  Same with sugar, laundry soap, cooking oil, etc.  The problem was relatives and friends learned about my stockpile and they would call asking us to give them some.  I had a sari-sari store!  No profit and plenty of losses from the, "I will pay you next week," crowd.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1