Annoying Local Behavior

P_X
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think you may have gotten a wrong impression about the forum members based on this single topic.  The vast majority of the members here love living in the Philippines.  That does not mean we ignore things that annoy us.  This topic is a way of releasing a bit of the annoyance.   This is a forum where we try to help answer questions about what it is like to live here.  We answer truthfully, we don't bash the Philippines, nor do we wear rose colored glasses and say everything is wonderful.

Yeah it seems to be much more cordial than some of the other forums I've been to. Didn't mean to insinuate that it was the vast majority,  in general most of what I've read was friendly. 

• Like 3

P_X
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mountainside said:

My Cebuana wife and I are thinking about relocating from the US to Cebu.  I'm interested in expert opinions on how to adapt in Cebu.  How long have you lived there?

I actually lived in the Luzon area for approximately 2 years. Was married to a Filipina from there for 7. 

We fell out in 2020 ish and I met my current wife when the pandemic started.  I've only been in cebu for 3 months, so unfortunately I'm not well versed on these parts.

But I'm well versed in many aspects of the Philippines and the culture and people. 

If you're looking for cebu specific information I'm not the best source. 

Although I feel (others may disagree with me on this...) in general all the provinces have huge similarities. 

• Like 4

P_X
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree with respect to expats, but I find that the filipina ladies are drawn to the provinces where the dialects are similar.  Thus a Cebuana may do well moving to Negros province but not enjoy Samar province.

Undoubtedly. You're exactly right.  It'd make the most sense for you two to move to an area that speaks her native tongue. 

You and I can go anywhere here (in theory) and be fine. But if she were in a tagalog speaking area, it just wouldn't feel the same to her.

For example,  my ex was from Luzon and my good friend from high-school's wife, was from Leyte.  We invited them over for dinner and we made Adobo manok in the style of the region my ex grew up in.

My friends wife couldn't get passed the spiciness of the dish. She said the Adobo she makes and grew up eating had more sweetness to it. 

Over the years, even I would notice the differences between the two. When they'd host us and make a dish in her traditional way, it was always similar but had noticeable differences. Subtle, but noticeable. 

To me..no big deal but to them, not the same.

Why not just move to where your wife's from? Or have her chose the location?

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree with respect to expats, but I find that the filipina ladies are drawn to the provinces where the dialects are similar.  Thus a Cebuana may do well moving to Negros province but not enjoy Samar province.

That’s one of the reasons it’s taking so long to find the right place where we will both feel comfortable, Is going to be fun looking I think 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

Hang up and …….WALK! I know, it’s not just here, but how many times have you encountered someone so engrossed in their cell phones they run into you? Seems to happen often here.  

And yeah, I’m one of those ppl who gets a good laugh when I see someone who’s  doing it and they run into a pole, wall or stumble and fall. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

On purpose I don’t avoid them just brace myself for the impact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Not so much annoying, but amusing:

I've never seen a group of people so averse to rain, getting wet that is.  It's to the point where AM will not move another step if we're out and the slightest bit of even drizzle appears and she'll be standing under cover with a dozen other locals while I'm going on my merry way telling her I'll meet you at where ever.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Not so much annoying, but amusing:

I've never seen a group of people so averse to rain, getting wet that is.  

That seems to be pretty universal here in my experience.