Paying for Meal

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I quit having parties for foreigners after that.

Oh Well maybe after you have finished your Renovations:whistling: Iv'e had Plenty and never a problem but then I know who my friends are to Invite:wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
felt a little sarcasm enter my Fingers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, gaga4 said:

Sorry for the rant but I do not understand why as visitor from the US I am expected to pay for the meal when eating out. We recently had a get together with some friends while passing thru on a cruise. We made them aware that we will be in town so they arranged for dinner at the Manila Hotel. Mind you these are professionals (doctors, lawyers). None of them lifted a finger to pay the tab. We are visitors to their country for heavens sake. When I have people visiting us we treat them!! So much for the so-called Filipino hospitality.

Ranting or not I agree with this post.

You told them you would be here for a short visit. They took it upon themselves to organise a meal at a restaurant. Then they made you pay by not offering to pay part. I would take them off of your friend list because there are users who abused your wallet. In the past, I have been asked by locals who would not let me pay, they asked you to go for a meal but would not pay. If I asked my family out here I would pay.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

If I asked my family out here I would pay.

I do

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, virginprune said:

I've only once been expected to pick up the tab in a restaurant, that was in Thailand 12 years ago.

Karipot!! :smile:

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, gaga4 said:

Sorry for the rant but I do not understand why as visitor from the US I am expected to pay for the meal when eating out. We recently had a get together with some friends while passing thru on a cruise. We made them aware that we will be in town so they arranged for dinner at the Manila Hotel. Mind you these are professionals (doctors, lawyers). None of them lifted a finger to pay the tab. We are visitors to their country for heavens sake. When I have people visiting us we treat them!! So much for the so-called Filipino hospitality.

If you are the one who invited them than you are expected to pay. Kinda weird here. Adults who have jobs here are expected to buy drinks for their own birthday bash..:7481:

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Proudly so! :shades:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I may has well throw my penny’s worth in .

When  you are new to the family over in the Philippines you have no idea how things work over there, yes where you call home you know how it works, most people chuck into the pot or say I will pay for this and that, and then there are the ones who like to show the others how rich they are and pay for everything and then complain about it.

Once we was away with the family on a holiday and yes we paid the most and was very happy to do so, we had to go and stock up on food for a week as we was going to a island with limited items , the sister in law insisted on paying for the whole shopping bill knowing we had paid for the holiday, who was I to say no, but it turned out that was there money for the coming weeks bills, I did not know this until a month or so later and if I knew I would have paid for everything.

I do class myself as a tight git and I will sit back and wait until others have looked at the bill and started to put towards the amount ,unless I know they cannot pay, but most of the time I do leave it to Emma to sort things like this.

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

That's the problem with paying customs - they become so complex and it can take the fun out of dining out.  Years of experience have taught me that it's best to clarify in advance (through partner etc) what is expected.  Than we can all relax and enjoy the food without having an eye on the upcoming bill.  

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I thought it was Kuripot?

(There is a good chance I'm wrong but I'd like to know either way if anyone knows)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2