Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, jimeve said:

I will keep you updated on another thread that I will create :smile: lol.

My bet is that the wiring has come loose at the first socket in that circuit.  This would kill everything downstream from the socket.  I just had to get that in before we give the thread back to Tommy.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

My bet is that the wiring has come loose at the first socket in that circuit.  This would kill everything downstream from the socket.  I just had to get that in before we give the thread back to Tommy.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike... but I have no problem with leaving this discussion here. It is all helpful information for me to think through for our construction as well as for the forum at large.:smile:

I think Gary D makes a good point that the return wire could be the problem. That makes me really nervous, though because then the risk of shock would be super high?

I agree with you that a loose wire could be the culprit. There are not a lot of possibilities, it's just narrowing them down...?

I don't recommend it for Jim, or anyone, to undertake, but I would be sure to off that breaker - even the house main if I am unsure about things, then test the hot side of the breaker to the return for voltage. Once sure power is off, I would extract the outlet from the wall and check it. If something looks dodgy and I don't feel comfortable about it, I would then leave it alone until the qualified sparky can fix it... I think it is possible, but highly unlikely that there is a broken wire in the wall or floor, however there could be one of those twist together with electrical tape splices that came loose? That's a scary thought...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks Mike... but I have no problem with leaving this discussion here. It is all helpful information for me to think through for our construction as well as for the forum at large.:smile:

I think Gary D makes a good point that the return wire could be the problem. That makes me really nervous, though because then the risk of shock would be super high?

I agree with you that a loose wire could be the culprit. There are not a lot of possibilities, it's just narrowing them down...?

I don't recommend it for Jim, or anyone, to undertake, but I would be sure to off that breaker - even the house main if I am unsure about things, then test the hot side of the breaker to the return for voltage. Once sure power is off, I would extract the outlet from the wall and check it. If something looks dodgy and I don't feel comfortable about it, I would then leave it alone until the qualified sparky can fix it... I think it is possible, but highly unlikely that there is a broken wire in the wall or floor, however there could be one of those twist together with electrical tape splices that came loose? That's a scary thought...

Tommy, I have created an electrical topic for future discussions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

We visited the job site again yesterday.

The main purpose was to check for any damages resulting from the big earthquake a few days ago. We didn't see any problems, however we insisted that the civil engineer part of the contractor should take a look before any more structural work is done.

Everything looks good on-site and we are pleased with the progress. The workers tell us that it rains every day, but only at night, so it does not adversely affect the build, and probably actually helps because it keeps the freshly poured second floor slab moist until it cures more.

The workers also tell us that it is mostly quiet there and that the closest neighbour who has a teenager or two might play a bit of music but go quiet and sleep early.... Yessss!!!

We visited a subcontractor who will construct the kitchen cabinetry and they showed us a very nice design to fit the small kitchen space - very efficient with lots of places to stow my spices and special ingredients... I am very excited to start cooking there!!!

Next week we will visit with the window and glass contractor who will provide and install all that when the time is right.

We also discussed things like plumbing and wiring. The contractor and foreman look at me as if I am a bit crazy (which I am really very crazy) as we described the CR we prefer. The Cr's will be mostly "standard" size, except the master bedroom CR will be a bit oversize. The showers in both CR's will be a bit wider than standard - I don't like the tiny shower spaces here - I want to be able to stretch out a bit and enjoy showers. I also insist that the water heaters are under counters and not visible and that kitchen and CR's all have hot and cold water mixers. Yeah... I know, this is a western idea and pattern.... But I want a bit of western in the design and function of the place. L is fine with all of it, so far, and I will only proceed with implementing these ideas with her approval. So far, we are in complete agreement with the design and features of our new little nest...

The photos just show the foundation walls as they have progressed just above ground level, a column with the slopped on cement preparation for the final finishing and the second floor slab from below with some plumbing pipes installed...

As always, the boys were pleased with the Cokes, chicharon and rum we brought with us... Gotta keep them happy!

20191019_103806_resized.jpg

20191019_103826_resized.jpg

20191019_103835_resized.jpg

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I also insist that the water heaters are under counters and not visible and that kitchen and CR's all have hot and cold water mixers.

Have you thought about your water heaters yet?  When we visited Bohol last May our German AirBnB host had the best heaters I have seen here, as far as the temp.  The water could get scalding hot.  Most here have a hard time getting the water warm, let along hot.  Especially with some water pressure.

I think they were Vector brand and the new Ace near us has them now.

Also, if possible, you can use one instant heater for multiple outputs if you get a good one.  When I was in Germany, my apartment used one unit for the kitchen and bathroom sink and shower.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Have you thought about your water heaters yet?  When we visited Bohol last May our German AirBnB host had the best heaters I have seen here, as far as the temp.  The water could get scalding hot.  Most here have a hard time getting the water warm, let along hot.  Especially with some water pressure.

I think they were Vector brand and the new Ace near us has them now.

Also, if possible, you can use one instant heater for multiple outputs if you get a good one.  When I was in Germany, my apartment used one unit for the kitchen and bathroom sink and shower.

Thanks, OMW... Yeah, I have actually given a lot of thought to water heaters. I know that I don't want Voda, because that is what is in this apartment and it is total rubbish. I was thinking Panasonic. And I was planning on trying to link up a few water lines to provide hot water to more than one location. All sinks and showers will have hot and cold water connections to mixers. It's another western thing for me - I want to be able to wash dishes, hands or shower with hot/cold water mixtures... I just feel the hot water cleans better.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I want to be able to wash dishes,

For all the other stuff, the water does not have to be super hot, but for dishes, I prefer some really hot water!  We don't have hot water in the sinks any more.  The previous owner took out the central water heater and just put heaters in the showers.  We have pipes and mixers at the sinks, but only cold water.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I picked up an electric show from a boot sale in the UK which I sent here when we had a BB coming out. The problem is that even on half heat and minimum temperature with good water pressure it's too hot to stand under. If the pressure drops it over heat trips.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks, OMW... Yeah, I have actually given a lot of thought to water heaters. I know that I don't want Voda, because that is what is in this apartment and it is total rubbish. I was thinking Panasonic. And I was planning on trying to link up a few water lines to provide hot water to more than one location. All sinks and showers will have hot and cold water connections to mixers. It's another western thing for me - I want to be able to wash dishes, hands or shower with hot/cold water mixtures... I just feel the hot water cleans better.

On that subject:  I had expected to see a lot more roof-mounted metal water tanks here.  They do this in the Caribbean, and are quite effective at soaking up heat during the day.  I would think it would cut down on electric usage at the very least, or give you some options that maybe not every faucet would need its own heater.  

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

On that subject:  I had expected to see a lot more roof-mounted metal water tanks here.  They do this in the Caribbean, and are quite effective at soaking up heat during the day.  I would think it would cut down on electric usage at the very least, or give you some options that maybe not every faucet would need its own heater.  

My water tank is covered but the water pipes that run along a wall get very hot during a sunny day, so if I take a shower late afternoon the water is very hot.  I have seen those metal water tanks  on roofs in spain.