Building a Home in Davao

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thats the part I disagree with, I prefer to have a safe and fast exit of a room or house. Personal preference I suppose :tiphat:

Someone could lock you in.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thats the part I disagree with, I prefer to have a safe and fast exit of a room or house. Personal preference I suppose :tiphat:

Yep...I can see pros and cons with either option but I suppose we all prefer what we know. Still, I think for the majority of daily life opening in makes sense but that's what I'm used to. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Ah... so you did read the instructions! I am famous for buying something, attempting to install or use it and then, when all else fails, reading the instructions last... After all these years, I still haven't learned...:bonk:

I can't take credit for reading the instructions Tom - the red/blue labels were on the unit itself!

I only resorted to looking at the instructions to see if the gaskets were in fact for what I assumed but that was after the event!

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I don't know how to do multiple quotes from different pages here or I would quote the several of you who have contributed to the great door swing debate!

However, I just wish to say that you all have some good reasons that I think are all very valid and that make sense depending on one's perspective. I appreciate you all sharing your opinions as I carry on trying to determine which path I will take. So much food for thought that I need to take an Alka Seltzer now...:smile:

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't know how to do multiple quotes from different pages here or I would quote the several of you who have contributed to the great door swing debate!

However, I just wish to say that you all have some good reasons that I think are all very valid and that make sense depending on one's perspective. I appreciate you all sharing your opinions as I carry on trying to determine which path I will take. So much food for thought that I need to take an Alka Seltzer now...:smile:

You just click on the + sign, next to the "Quote". Click the + sign on all different replies you want to quote, when done, you click in the "quote box" that appear in the lower right corner of your screen. :tiphat: 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Viking said:

You just click on the + sign, next to the "Quote". Click the + sign on all different replies you want to quote, when done, you click in the "quote box" that appear in the lower right corner of your screen. :tiphat: 

Cool! Thanks Viking... I will give that a try next time I need to.:cheers:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You are making me think twice (or more) before deciding...

The great door swing debate.  Let us not forget pocket doors that slide to the side.  Also in our house in the USA we had a door from the kitchen to the dining room that could swing in either direction.  So now Tommy, you need to think not twice, not trice, but whatever word comes after thrice.  :89:

When I did the kitchen remodel I removed the door, made the opening wider, and arched the upper corners.  Looked better and the extra width was required to move in the new refrigerator.  That was by far the best kitchen remodel I ever did.  Stripped that room bare and started over.  I don't miss much from the USA, but I sure do miss that house. 

Kitchen small pic.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

We had a popular local brand first - so popular I've forgotten its name already - but it didn't cope well with the varying pressure and eventually it had 2 options - off and scalding! We changed to a German brand available in Ace - Stiebel Eletron. Really not that expensive and no complaints thus far - very good design and touches that you'd expect from German products i.e. the screw fittings at the back came with 2 gaskets, presumably to stop moisture seeping behind the unit and into the electrics through the screw holes. Saying that, there was nothing in the instructions about them so I made an educated guess as to their purpose!

As an aside, when I was switching the 2 units, I just couldn't get the new one to heat the water. All was working but just cold water. After much head scratching and a few expletives, I realised that the inlets on the new unit were reversed! Mind you, the big red and blue stickers should have been a clue but I somehow missed them!

Yes agree here 100%, we have stayed at many airbnb units and always found the Stiebel Electron best. Recently bought a condo unit and fitted one, so far no issues at all and very cost effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

The great door swing debate.  Let us not forget pocket doors that slide to the side.  Also in our house in the USA we had a door from the kitchen to the dining room that could swing in either direction.  So now Tommy, you need to think not twice, not trice, but whatever word comes after thrice.  :89:

I was wondering when you would weigh in on this great debate, Mike...:89:

I don't think there is enough wall area for pocket doors. I like them and had them in USA. They are so good for space saving.

At this point, I think I am leaning toward simple inward opening doors throughout. They seem to be the most common here so they should also be the easiest for the crew to install with minimal fuss. We can work around the slight inconveniences of where they will take a bit of space. I am not concerned about emergency exiting considering all the windows and sliding doors in the house... But I am going to put in heavy dead bolts and strike plates with long, stout screws at the outside doors... Along with CCTV, a mean dog, a small army contingent and an army tank....:dance:

The kitchen, dining and living "room" areas are all wide open - Filipino style - so actually very few doors in the place - one for each CR and each of two bedrooms and the office/library. Upstairs balcony will have one and the entry doors front and back. There will also be two sliding doors - one in the master bedroom to a balcony and one from the living room to the outside. Ah... and one door for the stairs at the roof deck and another for the small CR on the roof also.

The kitchen in your remodeled house looks really incredible and nice. Hell... the refrigerator alone looks as big as a house. How many people were you feeding from that - a small army???

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I was wondering when you would weigh in on this great debate, Mike...:89:

I don't think there is enough wall area for pocket doors. I like them and had them in USA. They are so good for space saving.

In our place in Hong Kong we had a pocket door in the bathroom - but split so one slid to the left and the other to the right due to space restrictions. However, you did have to slide with care as they tended to slip off the runners due to their reduced size.

• Like 2