Corona Virus

RBM
Posted
Posted

PAL

Passengers may either refund their tickets or rebook their trip once the travel ban is lifted. Service fees will be waived for both options.
Call PAL hotline (+632) 8855-8888 for refund and rebooking if the ticket was bought through the PAL website, contact center, or ticket office.
Contact your travel agent if the ticket was purchased through a travel agency.
Cebu Pacific

Wonder if it really is this easy, my experience with with PAL would suggest not.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I found out that some Filipinas are taking this virus seriously.  Here is what happened:

Last night the teacher at our kid's school sent out a message to the parent's group to say something like "I have a cough and I tried to call in sick but the principal says I will be fired if I do not show up for work so be sure all the kids come to school wearing masks".  During the next few hours, without exception, each parent responded to the group chat that they are not sending their kids to school if the teacher is sick.  So the principal responded that she would cancel classes today.

As to the rest of the story, this teacher calls in sick a lot and the principal is getting tired of it.  The principal could teach the class herself today but she is too damn lazy.  We have no idea what will happen tomorrow.  Life must go on, even if there is a virus going around.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I found this chart useful in putting the disease in context.  It should be noted that the red zone is just the 'expected' rates for the Wuhan virus.  At this point it is not certain if the Chinese numbers are being reported accurately.  The article I clipped this from says we should know soon enough, based on infection rates that are now outside of China.  

corona-virus.jpg

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Last night the teacher at our kid's school sent out a message to the parent's group to say something like "I have a cough and I tried to call in sick but the principal says I will be fired if I do not show up for work so be sure all the kids come to school wearing masks".  During the next few hours, without exception, each parent responded to the group chat that they are not sending their kids to school if the teacher is sick.  So the principal responded that she would cancel classes today.

As to the rest of the story, this teacher calls in sick a lot and the principal is getting tired of it.  The principal could teach the class herself today but she is too damn lazy.  We have no idea what will happen tomorrow.  Life must go on, even if there is a virus going around.

I am not disputing your account, Dave... However, from L's experience here as a teacher, any teacher can simply call in "sick" or whatever excuse to not teach on any particular day. And it does not cause any other issues. Her's is a public high school. so perhaps your kid's school or location rules are different?

Perhaps you could elaborate regarding your kid's school? I am very curious now...

Edited by Tommy T.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps you could elaborate regarding your kid's school? I am very curious now

Its a branch of Holy Infant Jesus Learning Centre.  There are only 15 kids in the school.  It is for K1 and K2.  There are 2 teachers, one main and one sub.  The main teacher was in hospital with her daughter and the sub wanted to call in sick.

46 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I am not disputing your account, Dave

Yep, you did.  I answered.  Your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its a branch of Holy Infant Jesus Learning Centre.  There are only 15 kids in the school.  It is for K1 and K2.  There are 2 teachers, one main and one sub.  The main teacher was in hospital with her daughter and the sub wanted to call in sick.

Yep, you did.  I answered.  Your mileage may vary.

Yeah... I guess I did... Thanks for the info and sorry to doubt you. Obviously your kid's school system is private and very different from L's public school. 

Edited by Tommy T.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I found this chart useful in putting the disease in context.  It should be noted that the red zone is just the 'expected' rates for the Wuhan virus.  

One thing that applies to the Wuhan Corona virus that isn't shown on charts like that (useful though they are) is the fact that this Corona virus is infectious before being symptomatic.  That means people who appear healthy, who feel healthy and who test healthy using temperature checks can actually be contagious.

That makes containment more difficult...

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It's spreading :whistling:

Heineken.jpg

• Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

One thing that applies to the Wuhan Corona virus that isn't shown on charts like that (useful though they are) is the fact that this Corona virus is infectious before being symptomatic.  That means people who appear healthy, who feel healthy and who test healthy using temperature checks can actually be contagious.

That makes containment more difficult...

I have another theory that I have not heard.

China has a huge air pollution problem in the cities.  China has a huge population of smokers.  I read that it is 350 million out of 1.4 billion, which is around 25%.  Among the older folks and the elderly, smoking rates are far higher than average.  Stats here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5284482/

So I deduce:  Air pollution + smoking + high smoking rates in older people = Higher death rates from a virus that causes pneumonia.  In fact, I read that many of the deaths are older people who have pre-existing lung problems.

Death rates in healthier countries should be much lower.

• Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

There's another factor I haven't heard mentioned.  After living in China for 18 months and having a Chinese fiancee for a time, I can tell you that the Chinese are even more superstitious than Filipinos about health, medicine, and food.  All kinds of little rules and odd habits relating to the 'heat' of the stomach, and the season, and whether you are a man or a woman, etc.  Different kinds of remedies and grandmotherly beliefs about treating ailments.  Mind you, I'm all for holistic medicine when it applies.  But I do wonder how many people would be 1) afraid to seek medical attention for fear of being a pariah;  2) eager to try some home remedy first because Mother suggested it; and 3) quick to believe something their friends told them because they almost ALWAYS will go along with the crowd (group think).   

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic