Corona Virus

graham59
Posted
Posted

Hysteria aside,  for comparison purposes.... I wonder how many people died from the 'normal' flu in the United States last year ?  :89:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

1) afraid to seek medical attention for fear of being a pariah;

That is a helluva good point.  After seeing the way the Philippines is reacting to people who came close to someone who they think had the Corona virus there is no way I would go to a doctor if I thought I had it.  I'd stay home and ride it out.  Betcha lots are doing the same.  Or just going about their business and doing their coughing discretely.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think many of you will find this talk very interesting and hopefully more fact filled that getting the latest news on Facebook!  It is long and I am less than half way through it.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

Hysteria aside,  for comparison purposes.... I wonder how many people died from the 'normal' flu in the United States last year ?  :89:

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Influenza Chart Infographic Influenza Burden Chart

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

One thing that applies to the Wuhan Corona virus that isn't shown on charts like that (useful though they are) is the fact that this Corona virus is infectious before being symptomatic.  That means people who appear healthy, who feel healthy and who test healthy using temperature checks can actually be contagious.

That makes containment more difficult...

I saw a really informative vid that breaks it down into layman's terms.  For 'transmissivity', its like this:  An infected person walks into a room of 10 people.  If 1 person or less gets infected (transmissivity of 1) then the virus can be expected to die out naturally.  Above 1, and it can be expected to multiply in any given population.  Corona is around a 3 right now I believe, i.e. 3 of those people in the room would get infected.  

Combined with what you point out, i.e. it has a 5-day latency where you can be walking around and infecting people while showing no signs at all.  Another 4-5 days while you are getting sick but aren't yet worried.  And another 5 days before you may wind up in a doctor's office.  So 10-15 days walking around infecting people with a 3+ transmissivity.  THAT is the danger.  The fatality rate, if it is around 5%, is also damned high.  Its too early to tell since we don't have accurate numbers from the chinese.  Watch the news from Western countries carefully in the next few days. 

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

The fatality rate, if it is around 5%, is also damned high.  Its too early to tell since we don't have accurate numbers from the chinese.  Watch the news from Western countries carefully in the next few days. 

Here is an article suggesting just that;

https://www.foxnews.com/media/china-falsifying-coronavirus-death-toll

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

FYI I ordered some masks on Lazada yesterday. I'm too old to worry about it but I wanted to get some for my GF and my son. They are made in China so I don't know if I will get them or not.:89:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Theres a video that's been pulled from Facebook 

It clearly shows one individual collapsing and then goes on the.show a chinese health worker ,speaking in their language with english sub titles 

The video if it's TRUE is very scarey she claims that there are 90,000 people in china with the virus and the death told is much higher than is being reported

Dont think I can load it up here or I would

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic