Corona Virus

jimeve
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The first confirmed case of the novel Corona virus in the Philippines... link below.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-philippines-confirm-first-case-12370262

According to the wife and facebook bamboo telegraph it's all over the fils. :9436:  lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

gery0x
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/29/2020 at 12:47 PM, gery0x said:

I'm not sure whether this link was already posted in this topic or not, but here is an interactive live-map that shows the affected areas and numbers of cases:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/

It's updated quite frequently (multiple times a day) and I use it for keeping track of the situation.

I found another - a little bit better and very congruent - link from the Chinese National Statistics.

Congruent because the numbers do match with the website posted in my own quote above and I don't suspect false-news here (for what it's worth).

https://3g.dxy.cn/newh5/view/pneumonia

Please be aware that the website is completely in Chinese and I don't preume that any of you know how to read it - but here are the basics on how to understand the content of the statistics and diagrams.

4 important words:

确诊 (Quèzhěn)

the red numbers and lines: means "Confirmed"

疑似 (Yísì)

the orange numbers and lines: means "Suspected"

死亡 (Sǐwáng)

the grey numbers and lines: means "Dead"

治愈 (Zhìyù)

the green numbers and lines: means "Cured"

A little further down on the page all the Chinese provinces are split up into their respective districts and numbers of cases.

Very interesting for me because I travel to China a whole lot!

And below that there is also a list of foreign countries affected.

Some examples of foreign countries referring to the nationalities of our forum members here so that you can find them:

澳大利亚 (Àodàlìyǎ): Australia

美国 (Měiguó): USA

德国 (Déguó): Germany

加拿大 (Jiānádà): Canada

In case that they will pop up on that list (I hope they will not!!) the following translations for additional countries:

瑞典 (Ruìdiǎn): Sweden

英国 (Yīngguó): UK

菲律宾 (Fēilǜbīn): Philippines

Please be safe everybody!!

Edited by gery0x
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The WHO has now declared the novel Corona virus a public health emergency of international concern

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-31/who-coronavirus-global-emergency/11916276

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I was able to find this article that deals with the death rate for this flu as compared to regular flu and other recent health scares.  The fatality rate for this flu is currently estimated at around 2%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Mortality Rate

The novel coronavirus' case fatality rate (CFR) is currently estimated at around 2%, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday, January 29, 2020[1][2].

However, the WHO specified that this is a very early and provisional estimate that may change. Surveillance is increasing, within China but also globally, but at the moment:

1. We don't know how many were infected ("When you look at how many people have died, you need to look at how many people where infected, and right now we don't know that number. So it is early to put a percentage on that."[1][2]).
  2. The only number currently known is how many people have died out of those who have been reported to the WHO.
  3. It is therefore very early to make any conclusive statements about what the overall mortality rate will be for the novel coronavirus, according to the World Health Organization [1][2].

A prior estimate [3] had put that number at 3%, between 2% and 4%.

Fatality rate can change as a virus can mutate, according to epidemiologists.

Once the province Hubei (where the epicenter Wuhan is situated) is removed from the calculation, the national (China) mortality rate drops to 0.3%. Within the Hubei province, the mortality rate is about 1% when excluding the city of Wuhan (where it is 5.5%).

Comparison with other viruses

For comparison, the case fatality rate with seasonal flu is less than 0.01% (1 death per every 10,000 cases)[4].

Mortality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.

Virus Death Rate
Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
2%*
SARS
10%
MERS
34%
Swine Flu
34%
Seasonal Flu
<0.01%

*estimate
  • Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Looks like the WHO have declared an emergency on the virus

The USA is recommending its citizens do not visit China 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It's now hit the UK ,two confirmed cases

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

How is the situation in Dumaguete now that a confirmed corona virus infectee passed through?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, leave to brilliant minds to come up with stupid plans!

Starting today, they are checking the temp and looking for coughs of all people entering Subic Bay Freeport.  That means stopping each vehicle and testing all occupants.  Traffic will be backed for miles.

The same braintrust, earlier in the week, was arguing that it was same to let cruise ship passengers from China disembark here.

• I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

We just came through immigration after landing back here at NAIA.  The only hint of any checking I could see was a lady asked me to remove my glasses as I walked by.  In our case we did not travel through any Asian airports....I'd like to think if we had, they may have at least looked at us a little closer. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic