US Approved Corvid Stimulus Package- Where's The Money

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Not surprising like every stimulus package that's ever passed.  It will benefit the least who need it, big corporations and not those that need it the most, the citizens.  In regards to overpaying your taxes, my tax advisors (2 CPA's in my family) educated me on never give the government "free parking" with my money and invest it instead.  Ideally, you'd try to "break even" when filing your annual tax returns.

The break even thing hasn't worked for me. I never had a CPA. I underpaid big time when I retired from the Military. I owed California state taxes and the Federal Govn't taxes. The Feds were willing to work with me to pay what I owed, but CA cleaned out my bank account. Everything, even my CD's. I ended up having to file Chapt. 7 bankruptcy. The court ordered me to pay almost half of my pay to pay it back. I'm gun shy now so I will just overpay like I usually do. But thanx for the suggestion.:biggrin: 

roddavis
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

The break even thing hasn't worked for me. I never had a CPA. I underpaid big time when I retired from the Military. I owed California state taxes and the Federal Govn't taxes. The Feds were willing to work with me to pay what I owed, but CA cleaned out my bank account. Everything, even my CD's. I ended up having to file Chapt. 7 bankruptcy. The court ordered me to pay almost half of my pay to pay it back. I'm gun shy now so I will just overpay like I usually do. But thanx for the suggestion.:biggrin: 

CA is a bad state to be from. A year after I left the state, they noticed I didn't file State Tax, so they assess by taxes based on my previous years income and charged that I owe them tax money! On top of that I didn't register my autos that I gave to my kids, and charged me more tax even though I didn't live there any more! They also wiped out my CA. bank account. so I had a bank account with negative balance. Found out they can get to your bank account if it has offices in California (ie BofA, Wells...etc) . They can't touch Federal accounts like USAA!

Anyway, back to the topic. I was looking at the Reddit topic for IRS and I noticed someone post that "Get my payment" tool was now working for expats. So I took a gamble to try it and NOW IT WORKS! It says my check was mailed Apr26 by slow mail to PI. The PI Post office here in Toledo is only open 1 day a week(thurs) so I will have to check then.

Even though i get a Direct deposit from SSA monthly I was hoping to get a DD to my US bank account. Seems they didn't look at that! I filed e-file TurboTax 2019 late Mar but did't get DD info on my e-file since I neither owed or had to pay- so Turbo Tax will not let you put bank info if you don't get a refund.

Edited by roddavis
Added more bank info
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, roddavis said:

The PI Post office

I tried to have my dead or alive form that Social Security sends before they send the scheduled payment to my house.Never arrived, several times. I find it a little amazing that PHILPOST actually works in your area.  I ended up having to email the US Embassy in Manila with the proper forms to continue my payments.:mellow:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I tried to have my dead or alive form that Social Security sends before they send the scheduled payment to my house.Never arrived, several times. I find it a little amazing that PHILPOST actually works in your area.  I ended up having to email the US Embassy in Manila with the proper forms to continue my payments.:mellow:

Same for me with the dead or alive form.  That is why I absolutely did not want them mailing money to the Philippines.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'm surprised by this.  I can understand the inward mail being iffy dependant on the location.  As I said, my area is good and to my knowledge only 1 or 2 items have gone astray.  Even going the other way, I'm not really aware of much going missing but I do have a little trick in that for important documents I send two copies, one registered and the other not.   

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm surprised by this.  I can understand the inward mail being iffy dependant on the location.  As I said, my area is good and to my knowledge only 1 or 2 items have gone astray.  Even going the other way, I'm not really aware of much going missing but I do have a little trick in that for important documents I send two copies, one registered and the other not.   

I have never tried to send anything outbound as the few things I really needed to send were worth spending $25 on DHL.

My inbound is a joke.  When I get something I always check the dates stamped on the letters.  It usually gets to the Philippines in a reasonable time and even to Zambales not bad.  Then it takes a month to get to me.  There is one guy on a motorcycle who delivers the entire Subic Freeport, which is not really that many postal addresses.  He has told us a few times "I have been so busy that I have not been up here in a few weeks" and then you see him parked in the shade along side the road.  The post office is staffed by 3 or 4 people and everytime I have been there they seem to overstaffed by 3.5 head.

• Like 2

roddavis
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

AK, never missed my SSA dead or alive form from the USA, but I have never mailed anything back. What I have done to return the form is use LBC to send to my son in CA.  Then he puts a stamp on it and mails it in for me.

Also for the local Post Office, make friends with the workers there and tell them if I get something in I offer a little reward like P50-P100 depending on the value of the mail. This causes them to be on the look out for my mail knowing they will get a reward! Don't think I have missed any mail in over 6 years. So waiting on the stimulus paper check so I let them know I was expecting some US gov documents. They are looking in earnest to see which of them gets a reward! Problem is with the quarantine, mail from Manila only gets delivered to them once a week.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
Just now, roddavis said:

AK, never missed my SSA dead or alive form from the USA, but I have never mailed anything back. What I have done to return the form is use LBC to send to my son in CA.  Then he puts a stamp on it and mails it in for me.

Also for the SSA form. if you know when it comes out(like for mine its in June) and you don't get it, you download it from SSA, fill it out and send to SSA.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, roddavis said:

Also for the local Post Office, make friends with the workers there and tell them if I get something in I offer a little reward like P50-P100 depending on the value of the mail. This causes them to be on the look out for my mail knowing they will get a reward! Don't think I have missed any mail in over 6 years. So waiting on the stimulus paper check so I let them know I was expecting some US gov documents. They are looking in earnest to see which of them gets a reward! Problem is with the quarantine, mail from Manila only gets delivered to them once a week.

I have thought about doing that and I know some here do, but I have not because it is basically participating in their extortion.  We have 7-8 thousand residents in Subic Bay and probably more than half are expats.  If the postman extorts 50 pesos for each delivery, that is some big corruption.  Also, he kind of hints at "tips" and it pisses me off that he examines my mail so carefully.  "Oh, this one is from Social Security.  Maybe it is a check!".

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

dead or alive form that Social Security sends

What is that? I have never seen nor heard of that before. Is this because you use Clint Eastwood's photo so they think you are a born again Paladin?:laugh:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic