US Approved Corvid Stimulus Package- Where's The Money

earthdome
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

What is that? I have never seen nor heard of that before. Is this because you use Clint Eastwood's photo so they think you are a born again Paladin?:laugh:

If the address you use for SS is outside the US or the account where the money is direct deposited is outside the US you have to complete a form each year to show you are still alive.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, earthdome said:

If the address you use for SS is outside the US or the account where the money is direct deposited is outside the US you have to complete a form each year to show you are still alive.

Ah... okay, thanks, Dome. No wonder I have never heard of this. I guess, to me, it's another reason to keep accounts and mailing address in USA? Another hassle reducer?

I just hope those who receive their checks by mail here in Phils get them soon!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have never tried to send anything outbound as the few things I really needed to send were worth spending $25 on DHL.

My inbound is a joke.  When I get something I always check the dates stamped on the letters.  It usually gets to the Philippines in a reasonable time and even to Zambales not bad.  Then it takes a month to get to me.  There is one guy on a motorcycle who delivers the entire Subic Freeport, which is not really that many postal addresses.  He has told us a few times "I have been so busy that I have not been up here in a few weeks" and then you see him parked in the shade along side the road.  The post office is staffed by 3 or 4 people and everytime I have been there they seem to overstaffed by 3.5 head.

For LBC to the UK it's $60 - pretty expensive so I'd only use it for something really necessary i.e. passport.  Everything else has gone normal/registered and so far. no issues i'm aware of.  Takes 3 weeks give or take.

Inbound - takes 2-3 months.  I'd say the same as you - the issue is getting from Manila to my local office.  Sounds like your system is like ours - the postman brings it periodically.  In theory twice a week but I usually get a bundle at the same time so more like once a month.  To be fair, he does bring any packages quickly even though we are supposed to pick them up.  

All in all, I do wish the inbound post was quicker but I cannot say it's that bad given it hasn't caused me any issues in the 5 years I've been here.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

For LBC to the UK it's $60 - pretty expensive so I'd only use it for something really necessary i.e. passport.  Everything else has gone normal/registered and so far. no issues i'm aware of.  Takes 3 weeks give or take.

Inbound - takes 2-3 months.  I'd say the same as you - the issue is getting from Manila to my local office.  Sounds like your system is like ours - the postman brings it periodically.  In theory twice a week but I usually get a bundle at the same time so more like once a month.  To be fair, he does bring any packages quickly even though we are supposed to pick them up.  

All in all, I do wish the inbound post was quicker but I cannot say it's that bad given it hasn't caused me any issues in the 5 years I've been here.  

You might want to try DHL next time.  Might be cheaper.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

You guys have a postman?  As far as I can tell the local Post Office staff never come to our subdivision.

We have to go to the Post Office and ask.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'll look into it - I don't see a DHL anywhere but there will be an office somewhere in the city.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

You guys have a postman?  As far as I can tell the local Post Office staff never come to our subdivision.

We have to go to the Post Office and ask.

I do but a couple of my neighbours say the same as you - they don't get mail delivered and have to pick it up.  Strange given we live in the same community.  

• Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I will second DHL, OMW, although I use snail mail rarely. I am not sure whether they are cheaper, but the service here and back is impressive. I can track anything easily online and coming here from Seattle usually happens in 5 working days on average. I have had mail packages go "missing" at the post office, only to be returned months later to sender in USA.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I will second DHL, OMW, although I use snail mail rarely. I am not sure whether they are cheaper, but the service here and back is impressive. I can track anything easily online and coming here from Seattle usually happens in 5 working days on average. I have had mail packages go "missing" at the post office, only to be returned months later to sender in USA.

DHL also has a long history of operating during trying times, war zones, etc., when the other guys shut down.  So their service might be better during this Covid scare.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I had a birthday card make its way here 9 months or more late.  The sender forgot to put the country on the envelope so it made its way to Savannah, Georgia - I live in Savannah, Iloilo.  Credit to them for showing some initiative and geographic knowledge but I wish they had just searched where Iloilo was.  Regardless, kinda impressive that it made its way here at all.  Just in time for the next year! 

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic