PLDT Upgrade

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We do get a bit confused by all the programming options available. Tubi has had a lot of free programming and movies. Do you have suggestions for any other providers online?

Plex has a lot of free movies, news, series, music and more. Mobdro also has a lot of free stuff.

But you need to "jailbreak" your firestick to download these. Better if you look on youtube for instruction videos, some very helpful videos on youtube. It would be too hard for me to explain.

How to Jailbreak your Firestick

1. Go to Settings > My Fire TV.
  2. Open Developer Options.
  3. Turn on Apps from Unknown Sources.
  4. Go back to the Settings page.
  5. Open Preferences > Privacy Settings.
  6. Disable Device Usage Data.
  7. Disable Collect App Usage Data.
  8. Go to the home screen of your Fire Stick.

Edit, found another free one. swift streamz, Mega one is that different countries.

Edited by jimeve
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

This is interesting. They just called me today from PLDT, asking me if I wanted to test their 1 Gbps package for P299, until the end of January. Obviously I said yes and the upgrade happened in minutes. I didn't even have to restart the router. And the speed looks impressive!

Just as outrageously impressive is the price for the package, past January, if I want to continue: P20,000/month:shock_40_anim_gif:

I will obviously keep my finger on the phone to cancel as soon as the trial period expires!

Two takeaways:

1. the days of the Philippines having third-world Internet infrastructure are long gone - perhaps Duterte's introduction of a third carrier (Dennis Uy's Dito Telecommunity) finally scared PLDT and Globe into opening the taps and investing
  2. even without Dito, it's still a virtual cartel: USD 400 for an Internet connection is an outrageous price, perhaps designed for the top 1% of customers. As usual down here, inequality is the word: they are creating a digital divide just as deep as the real one.

image.png

I wish I could agree but I still think they have a  way to go to bring the infrastructure up to speed - no pun intended.

It's not as reliable as it should be - in Hong Kong I suffered disconnection maybe once every 3-6 months but here it's once a month or more.

The speeds are OK but you pay through the nose to get them.  And, where I am we are struggling to get more than 30mbps - it's simply not available.

It's well-nigh impossible for me to connect to the internet unless I'm connected through my modem. And I don't live in a rural area. Even making calls and sending SMS is troublesome.

My connection isn't fiber - it's hybrid. 

If we have a brownout the main box won't last more than 2-3 hours.

I'm really not having a go at things here, they have made big advances in recent years but 1st world internet infrastructure it is not - maybe no longer 3rd world I agree. Sure, in some very specific locations it may be but that's not good enough. 

I think Globe and PLDT aren't quite ready to pat themselves on the back and it seems the gov here agree based on what I'm reading.

Rant over!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/6/2020 at 11:43 AM, Gandang Smile said:

This is interesting. They just called me today from PLDT, asking me if I wanted to test their 1 Gbps package for P299, until the end of January. Obviously I said yes and the upgrade happened in minutes. I didn't even have to restart the router. And the speed looks impressive!

Just as outrageously impressive is the price for the package, past January, if I want to continue: P20,000/month:shock_40_anim_gif:

Unless you were running a call center from home I could not see the point of that speed. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, jimeve said:
  •  

Hey Jim. I just now followed your "jailbreak" instructions and they all worked perfectly. I feel a bit better that perhaps our movie and show watching may not be monitored or recorded as much as before. And the apps work fine.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I feel a bit better that perhaps our movie and show watching may not be monitored or recorded as much as before.

I wonder what type of things you are watching, Tom, that makes you want to hide your viewing info! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I wonder what type of things you are watching, Tom, that makes you want to hide your viewing info! :thumbsup:

Nothing odd, weird or nasty, HK... We just value our privacy.:smile:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Nothing odd, weird or nasty, HK... We just value our privacy.:smile:

We live in a world where there is no privacy, Tom -merely by accessing the internet and/or using a phone you are opening your life to the world as it were. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

We live in a world where there is no privacy, Tom -merely by accessing the internet and/or using a phone you are opening your life to the world as it were. 

Of course you are right, HK... as always...

We just try to be a bit discreet... best we can do...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Improper post by me...

Edited by Tommy T.