PLDT Upgrade

hk blues
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have 4 lan ports on mine, would this help the issue? :89:

I have 5 on mine, Jack.  4 white colour and 1 green.  When I plug the LAN into a port the corresponding light on the front illuminates.  I believe this means I can connect 4 (5) devices via LAN to the modem.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have 4 lan ports on mine, would this help the issue? :89:

I have 4 ports on mine,Jack. But only one is for internet, the others are for other devises. such as printer, cameras etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most home modem/router all in one boxes have 4 LAN ports (for printers, cameras, network drives etc) and 1 WAN port (brings in your fibre internet) and sometimes they also have a Line port (For ADSL/VDSL).

Mostly you only use the WAN port or the Line port not both at once but the LAN ports can be used together for up to 4 home... things.

Some older home modem/router boxes have only one LAN port, the newer ones with 4 ports just have a network switch already built inside.  The box I linked earlier in the thread just does the same thing.

Don’t confuse the WAN port (data comes into the box) with the LAN port or ports (data goes out of the box).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 10/13/2020 at 8:59 PM, sonjack2847 said:

I ordered this product but after several false delivery claims I decided not to buy it. I was fed up with the false information from PLDT. They are now charging me for cancelling even though they never had stock of the mesh system. I am not the only person who this has happened to.You cannot get the billing department to answer any questions. The other person went to their office waited 5 hours and got nowhere with them.Try to phone and it just keeps you on hold,email well I don`t think the employees can read as they don`t answer. I bought an ASUS router-repeater which was 15-1700 pesos and that works very well. 

I just did a forum search on "cancelling PLDT" and this came up.  I never cancelled my PLDT when I sold my house and left the Philippines.  It all happened so fast I did not have time to go to their office.  My contract was fullfilled and I was just paying month to month anyway so I figured they would cancel my phone and Internet when I did not pay the bill.  In fact I told the new owners they could use it if they wanted to pay the bill.

SO WRONG.  PLDT have left the phone, Internet and bill running and the new owners are just laughing.  I tried to contact PLDT when they emailed the monthly bill to me but they do not allow replies and do not have an email account that I can write to to cancel.  I tried to contact them other ways but they make it too difficult.  So they keep billing and it gets higher every month.  I never intend to pay it but it is definitely annoying.  I no longer intend to contact them as it will just give them an excuse to fight with me about the unpaid bill.

Just saying, as a word to the wise, don't do as I did.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I figured they would cancel my phone and Internet when I did not pay the bill.  In fact I told the new owners they could use it if they wanted to pay the bill.

SO WRONG.  PLDT have left the phone, Internet and bill running and the new owners are just laughing.  I tried to contact PLDT when they emailed the monthly bill to me but they do not allow replies and do not have an email account that I can write to to cancel.  I tried to contact them other ways but they make it too difficult.  So they keep billing and it gets higher every month. 

You should have just taken the router with you, which you had every right to do if you paid the up-front fee to avoid any lockup contract, always advisable for foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Shady said:

You should have just taken the router with you, which you had every right to do if you paid the up-front fee to avoid any lockup contract, always advisable for foreigners.

How would that help with stopping the ongoing monthly fees? 

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How would that help with stopping the ongoing monthly fees? 

Two ways, the first and obvious one is PLDT will know the service isn't being used. The second is the new tenant will need to sign up for a new PLDT account at that location.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Shady said:

Two ways, the first and obvious one is PLDT will know the service isn't being used. The second is the new tenant will need to sign up for a new PLDT account at that location.

I don't think PLDT care whether the service is being used or not - they are happy to take the money until a subscriber can find a way to cancel.  The new tenant may not wish to sign up for a PLDT account.

I still don't see how removing a piece of hardware would have helped Dave H in his current predicament. 

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I still don't see how removing a piece of hardware would have helped Dave H in his current predicament. 

I just explained how: without that piece of hardware, the service can't be used, so there's nothing to charge. This is how it's supposed to be done by foreigners, no contract, no problems cancelling.

I just noticed Dave H said he had a contract, so he couldn't remove the router anyway. Just another reason to avoid the PLDT lockup contract.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

I just explained how: without that piece of hardware, the service can't be used, so there's nothing to charge. This is how it's supposed to be done by foreigners, no contract, no problems cancelling.

I just noticed Dave H said he had a contract, so he couldn't remove the router anyway. Just another reason to avoid the PLDT lockup contract.

I don't know which provider you use, but I am using Globe and it's impossible to get an internet service without a contract.  I have no idea what you mean when you say that's the way it's supposed to be done by foreigners - why are we any different to locals in this respect? 

• Like 1