Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
Shady
Posted
Posted
On 11/25/2020 at 6:33 PM, GeoffH said:

Normally you connect a standard LAN cable between the two routers, log into the control panel of the second router, disable DHCP and enable wireless (mostly with a different wifi name and password - eg downstairs)

So the downstairs AP router still has to connect to the primary router with a cable, not wireless?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Shady said:

So the downstairs AP router still has to connect to the primary router with a cable, not wireless?

Well... technically no but wireless is shared bandwidth.  If you're on a 10MBps or 30MBPs connection and you use 5GHz to connect the two routers and 2.4GHz for the devices you use internet on you could get away with using wireless.

But for 100MBPs and upwards or if you're using 5GHz on your own devices... well it's better to use cables.

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to spit a lan connection?. example my modem has only one port and uses the one port for a wireless connection and I want to use a lan cable to connect to my firestick on my TV.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Is it possible to spit a lan connection?. example my modem has only one port and uses the one port for a wireless connection and I want to use a lan cable to connect to my firestick on my TV.

Lazada sell LAN splitters so I assume it's doable

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

You can plug a cable from your modem into a cheap ethernet switchi (which will have 4 free ports).

You can think of it as being like a  power board but for LAN connections.

Then you have 4 spare ports, one of which you can use for your lan cable.

You plug the cable from the modem into the uplink port and the other cables can go to what ever devices you need (like a printer or an IP Camera or whatever).

Something like this one..

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/hikvision-ds-3e0105p-emb-4-port-fast-ethernet-unmanaged-poe-switch-i671292796-s1922956887.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.10.6a83196eJJlGY1&search=1

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

You can plug a cable from your modem into a cheap ethernet switchi (which will have 4 free ports).

You can think of it as being like a  power board but for LAN connections.

Then you have 4 spare ports, one of which you can use for your lan cable.

You plug the cable from the modem into the uplink port and the other cables can go to what ever devices you need (like a printer or an IP Camera or whatever).

Something like this one..

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/hikvision-ds-3e0105p-emb-4-port-fast-ethernet-unmanaged-poe-switch-i671292796-s1922956887.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.10.6a83196eJJlGY1&search=1

What would be the advantage of the above item vs this, Geoff?  There is a huge price difference.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/2-pcs-3-way-rj45-lan-network-ethernet-splitter-connector-khaki-i1296784353-s4715472629.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.24.3626795atJB91Y&search=1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

That won't work for what you need, it's used to avoid running 2 cables between two devices not 2 devices from a single port.  If you had a modem with 4 ports and you wanted to run a printer and an IP camera upstairs say... and you didn't want to run 2 cables.  You run 2 short cables from your modem into the splitter, then a single cable upstairs into another splitter (which is the other way around) then 2 short cables to the printer and the IP camera.

They rely on the fact that not all of the wires in a LAN cable are used at 100MBps so it won't work faster than that and it won't work if you don't have 2 ports on your modem (which you don't have).

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

if you don't have 2 ports on your modem

I have 4 lan ports on mine, would this help the issue? :89:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have 4 lan ports on mine, would this help the issue? :89:

It depends what you're trying to do?

The splitters are purely to allow two extension cables to be combined into one extension cable with a Y of two cable at  each end, nothing else.

If that's what you want to do then it will help, if it's not then no...

• Thanks 1