SIM Card Registration - Updated Information and The Procedure

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Am I correct to assume this new law does not affect me?  We have two local SIMs but are scheduled to depart from the Philippines before the end of March, 2023.  Should we return in the future, we can purchase new SIM cards.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Living in Canada, I thought I need not worry about it.  Turns out the GF has an active Philippine sim that she wanted to register.  10 tries and she finally got it done using her Canadian ID, which was strange as they wanted Philippine ID but did not accept her Philippine passport.  Good thing these Filipinas are stubborn.  I would have said feck it!

They did say they had problems which were expected and the site went down a few times. Also the Government decided they wanted photo ID so site went don to solve the issue. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Am I correct to assume this new law does not affect me?  We have two local SIMs but are scheduled to depart from the Philippines before the end of March, 2023.  Should we return in the future, we can purchase new SIM cards.

It wont affect you in that case. When you come back you will be registering as a tourist which is a pain if your staying longer.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It wont affect you in that case. When you come back you will be registering as a tourist which is a pain if your staying longer.

Thanks.  Maybe on our return the requirements change.  I am puzzled by the law.  Perhaps the real intent of the national government is to wait until the SIMs are registered before imposing a new tax, such as P100 per annum.  Perfect set-up because the telecommunication companies will be burdened with both registration and tax collection.  The government receives and spends the money.

Freebie
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

10 tries and she finally got it done using her Canadian ID, which was strange as they wanted Philippine ID but did not accept her Philippine passport. 

I heard from someone that they tried by using the Philippine National ID..

Seems that was rejected also, as there was signature.. .note there isnt a place on the national ID for a signature.  The asylum is being well managed at the moment.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm currently in Australia and I have a prepaid SMART SIM and a Gomo data only SIM, I started the registration process and got the verification number but then stopped...

because I have to register as a foreigner and that would mean the 30 days would expire before I return early in March (without any way to extend because I'm not there yet to get an extension) :89:

I'm going to have to wait until I get back and hope it's still working then (I hope it is because I've got that number linked to my GCash and I don't want to go through those hoops again).

I think this is something SWMBO might have to help with later.

Edited by GeoffH

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Smart have online registration  HERE

I will be getting the GF to do mine as no way will I be registering as a tourist so goes in her name. 

Are the registration requirements different for non-citizens?  If so, I'll get my wife to register mine as well.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I’ve read the posts and so far no one has mentioned illegal immigrants getting hooked up to the service. I like the idea of a photo to go with your registration, that would stop the likes of that sales girl and tourists would be that, not criminals hiding.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I’ve read the posts and so far no one has mentioned illegal immigrants getting hooked up to the service. I like the idea of a photo to go with your registration, that would stop the likes of that sales girl and tourists would be that, not criminals hiding.

Given that anyone can register any number of SIMs I don't think the system is at all fool-proof, Clermont.  This was discussed previously in the thread.

Like many systems here, great intention but will miss hitting the target i.e. scammers.  They can easily get anybody and everybody to register on their behalf again and again...and again.

• Like 2

Avalon
Posted
Posted

There's a 6 month window so I'll wait a while.  Same as never using the newest OS on my computers as they always have bugs.  My expat friend registered and then realised the SIM card he has had for years spending half his time here with wife and daughter and then overseas working now has a 30 day countdown.

He kicked himself for not putting it in the wife's name.

• Like 1