SIM Card Registration - Updated Information and The Procedure

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What did you use for this?

My water bill.  It's not specified what type of POA is required so I assume anything works as long as you are named on it.  It's a requirement only for foreigners so if it's an issue then your wife can register for you - locals don't need POA. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'll say it again - I very much doubt anyone will be combing through the 169,000,000 SIM registrations to check the details provided and, in any event, once you submit your details you will get an immediate confirmation of successful registration and I can't see them going back and undoing this anytime soon, or anytime at all. Unless they have some form of AI checking everything in real time which I doubt.  

I think the focus is really on newly issued SIMs hence the looseness of the registration process for existing owners. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think the focus is really on newly issued SIMs hence the looseness of the registration process for existing owners. 

I think I'll be getting SWMBO to register my existing Globe SIM after I arrive back from Aussie on March 7th.

One thing I haven't heard anything about is third party SIM providers?

In my Philippines phone I have a Globe SIM in slot 1 and a GOMO SIM in slot 2, so far all the discussion (and You Tube videos) seem to be about SMART and Globe.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I think I'll be getting SWMBO to register my existing Globe SIM after I arrive back from Aussie on March 7th.

One thing I haven't heard anything about is third party SIM providers?

In my Philippines phone I have a Globe SIM in slot 1 and a GOMO SIM in slot 2, so far all the discussion (and You Tube videos) seem to be about SMART and Globe.

I guess all the chat has been about the 2 dominant players but all SIM providers have to comply.

Here is the GOMO details -

https://newstogov.com/gomo-sim-registration-guide/

• Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

That's why I added the final comment - I know it can be an issue for many here.  

I guess a trip into the big city will be required in that case as even if your partner was to get the code she'd have no way to get it to you within the 5-minute time limit.  I know the 3 providers are setting up physical sites for others in your situation.  OR, internet cafe although security might be iffy but I'm not sure the info is that confidential. 

Not a biggy, I'll just take the laptop up to the local cafe and VPN it up.  Such is life.  And yes, I'll be getting my wife to register mine. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Not a biggy, I'll just take the laptop up to the local cafe and VPN it up.  Such is life.  And yes, I'll be getting my wife to register mine. 

Cool.

My only caution to getting the wife to do yours is that 1st of all it's next to no additional effort to do your own - just a matter of uploading 2 x extra pics, everything else is exactly the same - and 2nd of all it will mean than anytime you want to do anything with the SIM your wife will need to take care of it.  Now, what that might be I have no idea but it's perhaps as well to do your own unless there is a particular issue i.e. no ACR card or no POA available.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

just a matter of uploading 2 x extra pics, everything else is exactly the same

OK so how so you load that selfie onto the Form?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

My water bill.  It's not specified what type of POA is required so I assume anything works as long as you are named on it.  It's a requirement only for foreigners so if it's an issue then your wife can register for you - locals don't need POA. 

My water and electric are still in the name of the original lessee from 1994!  I am the 4th lessee and nobody ever changed it!

PLDT should work.  That is in my name.  The lease is in my name but it does not have a good section for the address.  It is hidden in the legal document.

• Like 1

gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

You won't have to keep replacing the SIM.  It will automatically deactivate after 30 days but you can have it extended as per your Visa but I'm not sure when in the process this can be done, hopefully when you obtain it 1st time and show the visa for 59 days.  I cannot find the exact reference to this to post but it's somewhere.  

And if I leave the country for a while (meaning my SIM will be deactivated), can I re-activate the same number when I get back? That's the big question.. probably not and that's a shame.

Edited by jimdones

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

My only caution to getting the wife to do yours is that 1st of all it's next to no additional effort to do your own - just a matter of uploading 2 x extra pics, everything else is exactly the same - 

If you're on a 13A or SRRV (or some other) long term Visa that's true but for those of us on medium term Tourist Visas we face the 30 day issue.

I can still add peso to the SIM at the sari sari across the street or probably online with Grab pay.

Edited by GeoffH