Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

The rules are "there are no rules" just do what you want without hitting anyone or thing. Or being hit.  

Puts a whole new aspect on defensive driving.... learnt in the UK and used continuosly here! 

:4617:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OzeMike said:

The rules are "there are no rules" just do what you want without hitting anyone or thing. Or being hit.  

Puts a whole new aspect on defensive driving.... learnt in the UK and used continuosly here! 

:4617:

Yes - we have an intersection - a crossroad - with a national highway cutting across a secondary road.  Now, you'd expect the highway traffic to have right of way and be able to pass through without stopping - nope.  OK, so the secondary road must have right of way - nope.  I still haven't worked out the correct way to cross through (I'm always a passenger so not my problem but...)  The only things which is clear is that the traffic on the highway looking to turn right onto the secondary road has right of way - this leads to traffic backing up all over the place as drivers enter the intersection even though their exit isn't clear.  

Oh, well...

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've always wondered too why side roads seem to have priority over main roads. I think everything has to be opposed to common sense purely for the reason of being contrary. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, virginprune said:

I've always wondered too why side roads seem to have priority over main roads. I think everything has to be opposed to common sense purely for the reason of being contrary. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Yes plus the one thing which still amazed me is so many come out of the secondary road on to a highway without looking, just straight out.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OzeMike said:

I think you are partially correct, Oze...

There ARE rules, but nobody obeys them and nobody enforces them...except sometimes in the cities when there is a need for income from fines? I always laugh when I pass the signs here that say, "Obey Traffic Laws."

I call it defensive driving on steroids. I think it's somewhere between defensive and offensive driving? Assertive, maybe? Watch out for the stupidist actions and you will be rewarded. However, if you are too timid, you might stay at some place for hours if you don't make a move to wherever you are headed... I really see no logic to traffic movements here and so just try to go with the flow...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

On one hand I don't see many accidents but on the other I don't see many cars without dents/bumps/scratches!  

The one that really gets me, as mentioned above, is the failure to give way to traffic on the main road - they sail into the traffic as if they were the only vehicle on the road.  Also, the entering of roundabouts is another source of fun - each country has its own rules on giving way on roundabouts and it seems here they try to accommodate all by accepting both systems!   

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Yes plus the one thing which still amazed me is so many come out of the secondary road on to a highway without looking, just straight out.

And then, if I honk at them to let them know I am there (not out of anger, just to advise them), they seem totally shocked that there is someone else, besides them, on the highway...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

they seem totally shocked that there is someone else, besides them, on the highway...

The "rule of thumb"  seems to be:  Whoever occupies that spot first has the right of way.  If they can get in front and you hit them from the side or behind then they will yell at you for not noticing they were there first.  It is the same rule for when they pass on the left, or right, or shoulder and push in front.  They got there first, they win.  Its a funny system but works much of the time.

Reminds me of a situation I was in a few years back, in Cebu.  I was approaching a flyover in heavy traffic and a jeepney came up on the right and squeezed over to cut me off.  He was beside me and managed to get his left side mirror in front of my right side mirror.  Thus when I pulled ahead with the traffic flow my mirror hit his and pushed it back.  He yelled at me through the window about he was there first.  I yelled back it is illegal to pass on the right and he should get to the back of the line.  Nothing came of it.  He backed off and pulled in behind me.  No harm, no foul.  I have no idea how a cop or judge would rule on that.  I usually give way when they are so aggressive but I was in a mood that day.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

It is interesting how mostly peaceful Filipinos become "weaponized" when behind the wheel or on their bikes...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have no idea how a cop or judge would rule on that.

Sorry Dave, but I think you would have been judged guilty?... Remember where you are...

• Haha 1