Corona Virus

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Oh, and some new study out of China today suggesting people with type A blood are more at risk, haha.  Well that's me then.  OK whatever.  I guess when its my time its my time.  

Comforting thought from Mathew 6:

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendorwas dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

That's it.  Tomorrow I'm going nekkid! 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

That's it.  Tomorrow I'm going nekkid! 

I guess I am a pagan... I usually run around naked... (eeewww) so all is lost for me...

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I just had a moderate head/chest cold about two weeks ago... Perhaps that was the virus already here? So many unknowns...

I've got the last remnants of a head/chest cold now that my daughter gave to me.  She's been in contract with school friends that were on oversease trips and one of them 'gave her a cold'.  What surprised me is when I went to see her this morning (I figure shes already given me the cold and I'm almost over it) was she wasn't over it yet and was actually worse.  Almost every time in the past she's brought a cold back from school she's gotten over it quickly and us older people suffer for weeks.  maybe the flu vaccine I had?  Maybe it is influenza and not the cold?

Or maybe the 'bad cold' currently circulating in Bendigo is in fact COVID-19, I doubt it but without general testing no one knows and no one can know.

The Bendigo Base hospital (an almost new medium size tertiary hospital) has done only 100 tests because of the shortage of testing kits and the guidlines that say that unless you've been overseas in a 'high risk' country or in contact with a confirmed case you won't be tested.

And if we don't know here, with 1st world medical facilities  what is going on (and won't until rush ordered testing kits become available) then what the real situation is in the Philippines is going to stay unknown until this is basically done and dusted and a vaccine is available and widely distributed I suspect.

I am scared for what the family will face there to be honest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would like to see the detailed FACTS on WHY people died from the virus...their state of health when they first contracted it, etc. 

Otherwise you may as well say X millions of people contracted ('ordinary') Influenza last year, and X number of sick old people died from it.  The rest ...ie, the vast majority, carried on with their normal lives.  

There is no way to come up with proper scientific conclusions, given the vague figures so far provided... or reason to worry ourselves, if fit and healthy ? 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I've got the last remnants of a head/chest cold now that my daughter gave to me.  She's been in contract with school friends that were on oversease trips and one of them 'gave her a cold'.  What surprised me is when I went to see her this morning (I figure shes already given me the cold and I'm almost over it) was she wasn't over it yet and was actually worse.  Almost every time in the past she's brought a cold back from school she's gotten over it quickly and us older people suffer for weeks.  maybe the flu vaccine I had?  Maybe it is influenza and not the cold?

Or maybe the 'bad cold' currently circulating in Bendigo is in fact COVID-19, I doubt it but without general testing no one knows and no one can know.

The Bendigo Base hospital (an almost new medium size tertiary hospital) has done only 100 tests because of the shortage of testing kits and the guidlines that say that unless you've been overseas in a 'high risk' country or in contact with a confirmed case you won't be tested.

And if we don't know here, with 1st world medical facilities  what is going on (and won't until rush ordered testing kits become available) then what the real situation is in the Philippines is going to stay unknown until this is basically done and dusted and a vaccine is available and widely distributed I suspect.

I am scared for what the family will face there to be honest.

Bringing back colds from overseas is quite common and I wouldn't be surprised if more difficult to shift. As you circulate in your local cold pool you gradually build up an immunity, that's why kids always have colds yet as you get older you have fewer. Go to a new environment (overseas) and suddenly you are in a new cold pool with no built up immunity so you are effectively a kid again and starting again.

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I would like to see the detailed FACTS on WHY people died from the virus...their state of health when they first contracted it, etc. 

Otherwise you may as well say X millions of people contracted ('ordinary') Influenza last year, and X number of sick old people died from it.  The rest ...ie, the vast majority, carried on with their normal lives.  

There is no way to come up with proper scientific conclusions, given the vague figures so far provided... or reason to worry ourselves, if fit and healthy ? 

And we aren't going to have that sort of information until we can look back on several seasons, probably 10 years in the future.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey everyone. Just popping in. I've talked to some of the people who are considered experts. Some have even met with the US President. It's in my line of work. It's my non-expert but well-informed opinion based on a good amount of evidence, that if you're in the Philippines, you'll be OK. Community spread there shouldn't be in the same degree as it is in more northerly, colder, and less humid latitudes. The weather there isn't conducive to a big spread of the virus, moreover, the government is taking measures (all though in the RoP, we all know how that might work out). Just don't do stupid things, OK? 

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

And we aren't going to have that sort of information until we can look back on several seasons, probably 10 years in the future.

No doubt about it.

That is why I will try to use some simple logic of my own, and not worry about it...obviously keeping myself away from others as much as possible though.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The only thing we can say for sure about the stats is that they are wrong!

From the number of deaths related to the virus (wrong diagnosis, lack of concern over proper diagnosis, focus on primary cause rather than secondary etc etc) to the number of cases (hey, I may well have it and a good few posters above have indicated they may have/have had it) and recovery rates (how do we know they have recovered, isn't it too soon to say?) - every single statistic is wrong. 

Let's hope our governments are not using the stats solely to develop their policies ; they are no more than an indication - kinda like traffic lights in the Philippines!   

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

The stats are far from perfect. Firstly, the confirmed cases are not reflective of the true rate of infection. That's almost certainly way higher. But they are enough to go on in terms of this being a serious situation.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic