Knock on effect of the virus

Jack D
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The Doctor who first reported the virus in China died of it and he was in his 30s and otherwise healthy...

That's why I'm so skeptical of what the US president (and his task force) are telling the American public.

youtube.com/watch?v=QwIZdQVJAL4

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack D said:

Based on what I've been informed, the 'novel' coronavirus can only be lethal to those over 65 years old or people of all ages with weakened immune systems.

At this moment that is very close to true.  Here is the chart showing the probability of dying if you get the virus - based only on age

Death Rate.jpghttps://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

So people over 80 who are confirmed to have this virus are 21.9% likely to die.  Anyone who is too casual about this virus, and then gets it but does not self-quarantine, and then accidentally passes it on to my 80+ year old mother is 99% likely to die (depending if the store has stock of ammunition for my gun)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

Can you not understand a 14+ day asymptomatic incubation period and air travel?

Actually, yes, I can, thanks for asking.

But can you not understand that there are documented reports about some people becoming infected as long as 24 days after someone else has become a carrier?

And that's my point - there are more questions than answers about this contagion. The professionals simply do not know really how long this thing incubates. They do not know exactly how it is transmitted.

Sure... "air travel" what a simplistic answer. Air travel includes exposure to biologics in the air, on surfaces and even in food and drink. So which one or ones is it? I don't know... Do you know? If so, contact CDC and volunteer your services, because you know more than them.

Furthermore, there are now (as of last time I was online, yesterday afternoon), two new cases where the medical detectives could not determine the source of those infections. There was no trail, no "smoking gun" leading back to Wuhan, China, S. Korea or Italy...

More explanation about why I am concerned and think this situation is creepy.

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jack D said:

Based on what I've been informed, the 'novel' coronavirus can only be lethal to those over 65 years old or people of all ages with weakened immune systems.

I'm not really sure yet if that is true, since the virus (as previously stated) will mutate in ways that could make it much more problematic than what the 'experts' are currently saying.

This whole situation reminds me of the movie, 'World War Z.' :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

But, fortunately, no Zombies....yet... (that I have heard about...) And no Brad Pitt to save us all!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Actually, yes, I can, thanks for asking.

But can you not understand that there are documented reports about some people becoming infected as long as 24 days after someone else has become a carrier?

There has been articles that the persistence of this particular corona virus outside the body upon surfaces and objects is longer than initially expected.  Instead of hours or a couple of days at most some experts are suggesting it could be as long as a week or two (something to do with the virus coat?  I guess it's more protected).

If a carrier infected objects then those objects could later after a delay infect another person perhaps?

• Sad 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

But, fortunately, no Zombies....yet...

Are you sure? :hystery:

zombies.jpeg

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

There has been articles that the persistence of this particular corona virus outside the body upon surfaces and objects is longer than initially expected.  Instead of hours or a couple of days at most some experts are suggesting it could be as long as a week or two (something to do with the virus coat?  I guess it's more protected).

If a carrier infected objects then those objects could later after a delay infect another person perhaps?

And that supports my main point, Geoff... Ignorance, in this case, is NOT bliss... :89:

Well, tomorrow I am headed to Gaisano Mall to pick up some canned goods that I cannot find elsewhere. I am not going crazy, just stocking up, mostly on things that I have run out of, like re-fried beans, Stagg canned chili, some canned meats and treats. I use them up one way or another and L loves most of my cooking.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jack D said:

I'm not really sure yet if that is true, since the virus (as previously stated) will mutate in ways that could make it much more problematic than what the 'experts' are currently saying.

This whole situation reminds me of the movie, 'World War Z.' :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

Sorry but I thought World War Z kinda sucked. A much more well done and scary movie is Contagion.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The virus does not seem to like warm climates. Think about where it is spreading fast and where it is not.

Tourism is already suffering greatly here in Panglao, Bohol. My friend who has rentals and HIS friends are down to 20% occupancy, down from 80% 6 weeks ago. The massage joint I frequent is down to 1 customer per therapist per day.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Sorry but I thought World War Z kinda sucked. A much more well done and scary movie is Contagion.

Yeah, World Ward Z sucked!

The way that the USA is dealing with the coronavirus also sucks! 

If I thought that the USA was doing a much better job with handling the coronavirus, I would have picked a much better movie to make a comparison, such as Contagion.

:wait_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2