A new possible medication to treat Covid

Terry P
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

And not just the media,Jack,  normal guys like you and me continue to argue this whole thing is some conspiracy by governments (which we don't know), big businesses (which we also don't know) and the pharmas (all of them or just some we don't know). 

We live in an age and world where 6m Americans think the world is flat - and it's quite possible this level of skepticism (stupidity) is not only found in Americans.

Let's give the keys to the world to all those so-called healthily skeptical folk and see where we end up.

Anyhow, like the vast majority I'm just looking forward to getting jabbed and not having our whole lives defined by Covid.

As I said before. The more they become marginalised the louder they become.

The natural reaction would be to use the I told you ace card now against the doubters but they are probably more to be pitied than scorned

• Haha 1

fred
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, TerryP said:

by the way I've still got flatulence

It sounds more like a serious case of buyers remorse to me.

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, intrepid said:

Well sense this thread has moved off topic from "a new possible medication to treat covid",  (and I don't mind), how about a little more fuel for the fire?

From the news two days ago. 

Former top State Dept investigator says COVID-19 outbreak may have resulted from bioweapons research accident

https://www.foxnews.com/world/top-state-official-coronavirus-bioweapon-accident

What did you say??
closed-ears-worried-human-child-boy-face

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, fred said:

What did you say??
closed-ears-worried-human-child-boy-face

Talking out of my arse

Seems to be popular lately

Thought I'd join in

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've just had an interesting conversation with one of my UK based friends who is a team leader with one of the major pharmaceutical companies responsible for developing new drugs. In asked her honest opinion on the current risk factors etc and efficiency of the current vaccines out there and whether she would be taking the vaccine.

If you don't want to read on in short she and her colleagues don't fully know the risks or benefits as of yet and no she wouldn't be taking the vaccine until the data is fully evaluated and/or personal restrictions force her to have it.

Her reasoning behind the decisions are as follows:

1. She has been involved in many trials over the years at times in collaboration with other research departments and using the latest technology. A good few of these trials showed positive results initially but over time serious complications began to appear, many unexpectantly.

2. Why are pharma companies getting non liability clauses built into the contracts?

3. A very small percentage of people with the virus will require hospitalisation and even fewer will die.

4. Different age groups have different risk factors and outcomes.  Depending on what group you are in it could be beneficial or it may not, data is too hard to currently evaluate.

5. There is some evidence showing you can still carry covid and pass it on or catch it and still die, again very hard to prove unless you track someone 24/7.

6. They are working on monoclonal antibodies which are showing great promise with almost zero side effects.

The problem they have in working out how effective vaccines are is due to the virus having spread before there was a vaccine.  Many people already have a built in immunity to covid and those who haven't may never come into contact with it or they could run the risk of bumping into it every day. They have many records of large families living togethr yet only one catches it and again small family groups where a few catch it 

Her example was the average person stays within a set radius every day and mingles with the same people. If they contact 100 people daily 50% could already be immune, some could be very fit and fight it and maybe one out of a few groups of 100 could die. After a year there's a good chance those that were going to get seriously ill within that group already has and has either been treated or sadly died.  Now you vaccinate everyone in that group and try to study them but already the ones who were going to get ill or die already have so you have no way of knowing if the vaccine is helping or if nature is playing it's part.

Her words were the only way to know if it is effective is to find a community with zero cases and vaccinate them all then introduce covid to the community and that's never going to happen.

As I say it's early days yet and I know it will be awhile before I even get a sniff of a vaccine so this issue is at the back of my mind. I'm happy enough to take the vacine now but I'll be more happy next year I bet. For me life choices are a bigger risk than most vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 1/18/2021 at 10:12 AM, TerryP said:

if you want to eat celery, jog off down to the health food store every morning, make your nightcap a low-fat cocoa and rely on your zinc supercharged immune system to fend off the grim reaper be my guest.

I'm standing in line with a ciggy in one hand and a can of lager in the other waiting for my turn to contribute to some pharmaceutical giants profits

On 3/12/2021 at 8:33 PM, TerryP said:

Apparently vitamin D and a jog round the park stops you from getting it

For how many years scientists told us that obesity, smoking and excessive drinking are the three biggest modifiable risk factors increasing morbidity and mortality?

Apparently many in the West ignored science.

But now, those who ignored science are lecturing us, "Listen to the science you dummy, stand in line and take your vaccine"... :computerrage_40_anim_gif:

CNN reporting -

"The risk of death from Covid-19 is about 10 times higher in countries where most of the population is overweight, according to a report released Wednesday by the World Obesity Federation.

In the US, close to three-quarters of the population is either overweight or obese, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In the UK, 67% of men and 60% of women are overweight or obese, according to a National Health Service (NHS) report

Vietnam had one of the world's lowest Covid-19 death rates, with 0.04 deaths occurring per 100,000 people. The country's overweight population comes in at 18.3%. Other countries on the low death rate list with similar patterns include Japan, Thailand and South Korea.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/health/obesity-covid-death-rate-intl/index.html

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Explorer said:

For how many years scientists told us that obesity, smoking and excessive drinking are the three biggest modifiable risk factors increasing morbidity and mortality?

Apparently many in the West ignored science.

I know Personally of Three recent deaths that stated covid19 on the Death Certificate, all male and all over 65, None of them were smokers, Big Drinkers and none of them Obese so what Conclusions can we draw from this? Panic Management comes to mind, Time the Scientists went back to the Drawing boards perhaps :89: Many many mistakes and excuses have been made by bad scientific Let's push on and win the race ( Sod the Torpedoes comes to mind) :tiphat:

Just at this time My Doctor is telling me not to have any Vaccine especially where there is if any, proof of Clotting,

As a Stroke survivor clotting would most likely Kill me, so........................................ for me, they need to sort out their problems instead of Rushing to make a $ or 2

As to any passport I will be issued a medical Cert of Negative testing and a reason for not having a vaccine, This is me so YMMV, Be safe G & G's :smile:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

As a Stroke survivor clotting would most likely Kill me, so........................................ for me, they need to sort out their problems instead of Rushing to make a $ or 2

I was going to get the vaccine but your post has me on the fence (stroke in 2017).   I had read about the clotting but it took your post to make me look at it from an enhanced perspective.  Thank you for the input. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I know Personally of Three recent deaths that stated covid19 on the Death Certificate, all male and all over 65, None of them were smokers, Big Drinkers and none of them Obese so what Conclusions can we draw from this?

Nobody dispute that non-drinkers,  non-smokers, not obese are dying from covid, the study show that the risk of death from Covid-19 is about 10 times higher for the overweight, YMMV.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Explorer said:

Nobody dispute that non-drinkers,  non-smokers, not obese are dying from covid, the study show that the risk of death from Covid-19 is about 10 times higher for the overweight, YMMV.

So why are we fat buggers still alive and kicking, No my friend, I have now Stopped reading Studies, the studies only want  (once again) To Start doom and Gloom Theories so that more Rubbish can be sold in forms supposedly to support Healthy Living :tiphat:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic