Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

davewe
Posted
Posted

Stupid NO..massively under educated YES... the school system here is terrible , just asking any deductive reasoning question( or a worded math problem ) will get you that 1000 yard glassy stare from most...My niece that is #1 in her high school class had a very hard time with a simple worded problem. Why? Because its simply not taught here...90% is memorization and repetitive , never the how and why or real world examples... the first thing i did was get my GF's daughter and the niece that lives with us into a private school ..even then it was a struggle to find one that actually encourages the kids to LEARN and not memorize.

The Philippine public schools are a knowledge base education system, while many of the Philippine private schools are inquiry. Not too long ago, it was the same in the United States. Even Japan with its highly admired education system made the switch from knowledge to inquiry quite recently. You will be surprised how many educators in the United States at the state level want to return to the knowledge base system. They blame the high number of functional iliterates (4th grade reading level) and near illiterates (6th grade reading level) to the inquiry method of learning.

Excellent analysis. Years ago in the 80s I was married and had 2 step-children. I was shocked to attend parent teacher conferences and was told that rote memorization in math was no longer done. After all why bother - everyone has calculators I was told. IMO, there is something to be said for a combination of the two philosophies.

The education system in most major US cities is notoriously bad, so I am surprised when Americans claim it is so excellent and the Philippines is so bad. In my modest experience, considering the poverty of their culture, Filipinos are surprisingly well education, but they are not educated in the same way as Westerners. But the bottom line is I don't find most Filipinas to be stupid. How could I? Mine chose me!

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted

The last time I was in the Philippines with my fiance (October) several people we encountered asked her about "bf/husband" and invariably asked my age. Yes, we have a pretty significant age gap but I am quite young looking and guapo - according to her :). She would always tell them the truth about me and they would smile, but I would always wonder (always assume really) that there was a judgment involved. She seemed happy and unaffected, so I ignored any worries.

However, in my own country I have already heard worse - and from people I know. I understand it's ignorance and jealousy - although in this case the ignorance comes from well-educated engineers.

Whether in the Philippines or the US I will choose to ignore as best I can and simply enjoy the wonderful years I have with my soon to be wife.

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

The last time I was in the Philippines with my fiance (October) several people we encountered asked her about "bf/husband" and invariably asked my age. Yes, we have a pretty significant age gap but I am quite young looking and guapo - according to her :). She would always tell them the truth about me and they would smile, but I would always wonder (always assume really) that there was a judgment involved. She seemed happy and unaffected, so I ignored any worries.

However, in my own country I have already heard worse - and from people I know. I understand it's ignorance and jealousy - although in this case the ignorance comes from well-educated engineers.

Whether in the Philippines or the US I will choose to ignore as best I can and simply enjoy the wonderful years I have with my soon to be wife.

In the US, the most common thing I hear are comments like 'Well, are you enjoying your purchase?"  or similarly worded comments. Older people remember MAIL ORDER, but the younger ones are all internet 'order online' types. 

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the US, the most common thing I hear are comments like 'Well, are you enjoying your purchase?"  or similarly worded comments. Older people remember MAIL ORDER, but the younger ones are all internet 'order online' types. 

<Removed>, who has a nice Philippines blog, says that when Americans asked him about his mail order bride he told them (I am paraphrasing) that he'd kept the box - just in case :)

Edited by MikeB
Removed name of blog owner

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

What  a strange man you are Bruce, you don't seem to have a Good Word to say about anything on here, I bet those lovely people in The Phils just can't wait to have you back for another Moany Vacation !! Met your type all over the World, and I quickly move on to some more pleasant people. The Ugly American as in a previous Thread seems to have  somewhat surfaced again !!

Not that I'm anti USA,  just quite particular in my outlook, Ya'll  know what I mean !

I bet the fingers will be itching to' Like' my post, but I fear the keys won't be hit for fear of speaking out, never mind, I've addressed my view on this, and for me, that's enough !!!

Opinions are like a^sholes ..... everyone has one but some stink worst than others ...... IMHO ..... see I ain't afraid to respond .....  :cheersty: if you would bother to read even some of his posts you would find he does a whole lot more good here in the Phils than 99% of us ..... but as was mentioned in the post "Not that I'm anti USA,  just quite particular in my outlook, Ya'll  know what I mean"  ..... yup I know just what was meant ..... and he is entitled to HIS opinions just like you and I are ..... if you don't like his posts just put him on ignore ...... I have a few such people there and adding more each day ..... :hystery:  :hystery:  

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

What a strange man you are Bruce, you don't seem to have a Good Word to say about anything on here, I bet those lovely people in The Phils just can't wait to have you back for another Moany Vacation !! Met your type all over the World, and I quickly move on to some more pleasant people. The Ugly American as in a previous Thread seems to have somewhat surfaced again !!

Bruce's colorful use of the American English language makes him appear to be one of the most cynical foreigners who has ever been to the Philippines. That's on the surface. Bruce is really very insightful and he has developed a very realistic approach on how he can help the poor with his limited resources. He appears to be very harsh if you read his postings, yet he is most sincere in helping others. It is void of all the Judeo-Christian trappings of feel good, "Let's help the poor by showering them with gifts and teaching them about Christ." nonsense.

I also get shocked reading that Bruce believes it is okay for a 16 year old to prostitute herself to put food on the table for her family. Add to that her desire to buy superficial items like nice clothes and a mobile phone. I have never really been hungry my whole life. In fact, I tend to overeat. My wife and I won't buy the latest gadget, nice clothes or expensive food because we choose not to -- even if we can afford it. For those who can't, the desire for material goods is much stronger.  

But if something were to happen to that 16 year old, like getting pregnant, Bruce will be there to help her get basic medical care. I won't because my cultural background is ultra conservative Roman Catholic. Her getting pregnant is just, "God's punishment." Well, maybe I may be persuaded to help by sending Bruce's charity a little money for the baby.

During my retirement years, I also want to help the poor in the Philippines. So far no realistic projects because my search criteria includes, "No distribution of my money." The project must be self-funding after an initial capital expense. It's like that old cliche', "Give a man fish and you feed him once. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life."

Any charitable project suggestions? Just remember I will ask Bruce for his opinion whether or not it is workable. He will be brutally honest, which is the way it should be.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

What  a strange man you are Bruce, you don't seem to have a Good Word to say about anything on here, I bet those lovely people in The Phils just can't wait to have you back for another Moany Vacation !! Met your type all over the World, and I quickly move on to some more pleasant people. The Ugly American as in a previous Thread seems to have  somewhat surfaced again !!

Not that I'm anti USA,  just quite particular in my outlook, Ya'll  know what I mean !

I bet the fingers will be itching to' Like' my post, but I fear the keys won't be hit for fear of speaking out, never mind, I've addressed my view on this, and for me, that's enough !!!

This is a puzzling comment, and reading up through this thread, I am not sure where it is coming from.  Bruce sometimes has a sarcastic sense of humor, but so do I, so I enjoy it.  If you have not done so, you should read more about the work Bruce is doing in the Philippines on his "vacations".

As a new member, you may not be aware that personal attacks are not allowed on this forum, and I would consider this borderline, and certainly off topic (as is my comment here!)

I do appreciate your desire to focus on positives, but sometimes we need to discuss the negatives too, in productive way.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Irish,

Check out the links in Bruce's signature to see the kind of guy he really is.  Yeah he comes across as a bit rude and abrupt at times but I appreciate the straight shooter attitude and sometimes cynical and sarcastic delivery.  He's a guy I admire for what he's chosen as his mission in life.  As a lapsed social worker I can relate. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I also get shocked reading that Bruce believes it is okay for a 16 year old to prostitute herself to put food on the table for her family.

Thanks JJ.... but not 100% accurate. I do believe that is is OK for a 16 yr old to.... IF (this is the important part) IF there is no viable alternative.

That is the sticking point I mention with all the arm chair do gooders who make comments about the teens and sex. Very easy to make negative comments about the quarterback or the coach's plan.. BUT then you (YOU, mr do gooder) are not out there with hungry kids / siblings and no money. Of course, I AM a OB/GYN Professional and have had more than my share in dealing with teen pregnancies....

JJ, I see myself as more 'accepting' of the ills of the world and try to help as I can what what I have to work with...  Critical? Me? Sure, but then I also don't simply make a negative comment and then keep on walking.

:444: But then this post thread is supposed to be about bad things people say about the mixed race relationships in the Phils :-kiss: .... So... boys, before His Jollyness gets his panties all bunched up :th_thholysheep: ... lets get back to the topic and then some nice member start a new thread... Oh... say... Screw Bruce?  I can take it. Hehehehe

:chickendance:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

I say a lot of good things...... In person I come off a bit smoother than in the flat aspect of the written word. I don't mean to offend anyone. Just being me.....   :why-me:  :th_imstupid: The Ugly American is a well deserved label. But then in reading the Daily Mail everyday and the articles on hooligans and yobs..... It appears that many cultures share that same label... If you want to address any thing specific, send me a PM. Always glad to read more and respond.

I believe LondonIrish has a minor case of misunderstanding.  Follow on posts validating Bruce's true nature

in helping the poor and the oppress speaks volumes of his mission in life.  Once again, members of this forum

responded with utmost sensitivity and sensibility.  Prime example of that is Bruce's humble explanation above.  

It was like putting out the fire of this heated topic.  

Well done gentlemen -- Jake

• Like 1