Sharing between the family

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, stevewool said:

Wow this is more interesting abotnow,

If i was not in the west working hard and saving harder for our future, i know we would never be able to go back to the Philippines to live,

I have a small budget but i do know if its managed right we shall be ok,

Its been said from certain members of my new family that it is my Wife's  turn to look after the older generation as we dont have children to support and other things too, i am sure many here would like to share if sharing was to happen,

Yes we are all different and what suits one may not suit another all i can go on about is what i am told by the family and what i see too,

We all will deal with whats in front of us the best we can ,

Whilst this may be true Steve, there are a couple of things I believe you have overlooked.  Firstly,  it might be the family's opinion but is it Ems?  Secondly, you repeatedly indicate that you will have 'just enough'

to retire, that being the case, I would think that she would be the sole focus of your concerns.  She will be around long after you have checked out - my situation is the same and it is my sole focus. 

I have told my SO that is my position for as long as I am around, after I cash in the chips, she can do whatever and handle it whatever way she wishes.  I will achieved what I consider my obligations to SO.

Maybe factor this into the thinking, as has been said in these very good posts, they managed before you came along and will continue to do so if necessary!

You raise a good point Jack and I agree with most.  I think it boils down to what you are comfortable with, what your financial status is and what you see as your priorities.

I know what my finances allow and that is how I have framed my position on such matters.  Not that I have encountered any  requests at this stage, whether that changes when we get to Phils is another issue.  But I am very comfortable with my position and I doubt it will change.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

PS, My reply went on the wrong post as I see it.  This is one aspect of the 'new forum' that is rather confusing.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

PS, My reply went on the wrong post as I see it.  This is one aspect of the 'new forum' that is rather confusing.

homer-doh.jpg.192582d86cbca2432110a337bd :89::hystery:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Great reply Jack, and its funny but we know deep down that its true how if we did not have our pot of gold how things may be different, but many dont want to see or say that, we are just tight and not a giving people,

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Whilst this may be true Steve, there are a couple of things I believe you have overlooked.  Firstly,  it might be the family's opinion but is it Ems?  Secondly, you repeatedly indicate that you will have 'just enough'

to retire, that being the case, I would think that she would be the sole focus of your concerns.  She will be around long after you have checked out - my situation is the same and it is my sole focus. 

I have told my SO that is my position for as long as I am around, after I cash in the chips, she can do whatever and handle it whatever way she wishes.  I will achieved what I consider my obligations to SO.

Maybe factor this into the thinking, as has been said in these very good posts, they managed before you came along and will continue to do so if necessary!

Emma wants to make her dad happy and having the new house for him is all she wanted to do,

I do know that we shall be taking care of him and her brother for ever but i have budgeted for that ,

What i have to be careful of is making sure our time there is together and not sitting at home just waiting and looking after them both, thats something i do fear,

The budget to tell the truth is not small to live on over there but there is a lot of spare cash for the just incase,

And finally Emma is the number one person and like you i have to make sure that there is enough funds to help er live the life she wants once i have gone,

I think many of us underestimate our budgets , and after looking at all our assets well i feel ok with what we have , but its the worry of not having the pay cheque each month , now that will take some getting use too

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Great reply Jack, and its funny but we know deep down that its true how if we did not have our pot of gold how things may be different, but many dont want to see or say that, we are just tight and not a giving people,

Steve,

Just because one person has a different perspective on what 'giving' constitutes or indeed that they have a particular point of view about it, does not make them 'tight'.  

Those with the 'giving disposition'  just as likely to be viewed by the more 'non giver' type as 'stupid. Many have tried the 'giving thing' only to have their hand bitten off, maybe that is why they have developed the opposite position.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Emma wants to make her dad happy and having the new house for him is all she wanted to do,

I do know that we shall be taking care of him and her brother for ever but i have budgeted for that ,

What i have to be careful of is making sure our time there is together and not sitting at home just waiting and looking after them both, thats something i do fear,

The budget to tell the truth is not small to live on over there but there is a lot of spare cash for the just incase,

And finally Emma is the number one person and like you i have to make sure that there is enough funds to help er live the life she wants once i have gone,

I think many of us underestimate our budgets , and after looking at all our assets well i feel ok with what we have , but its the worry of not having the pay cheque each month , now that will take some getting use too

I thought you said in another post that your budget would be 'tight' when you eventually made the move?

Maybe I read wrongly?

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I thought you said in another post that your budget would be 'tight' when you eventually made the move?

Maybe I read wrongly?

When is the budget not tight? The last person who told me living was so cheap that you couldn't help but save money asked me for 9k peso so he could make it until the end of the month, 20 months later. He started with a bankroll that was three times the size of mine.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having the things will be tight attitude no matter how much you have and I think it contributes to ones success.

There is no amount of money which can not be spent if you put your mind to it. Witness sports stars, music stars, movie stars, lottery winners who go bankrupt. (think Kanye West dry begging for $50m on Twitter) All I can say is how in the @#$% did they get bankrupt? I would have bought enough crap that when I ran out of money the sale of what I had left would finance a good life for the rest of my life, just not in the $5 million house and not driving the Bugatti Veyron, without the ski lodge in Vail Colorado or the....

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Having never had too much, I am afraid it would be a very new experience for me.  One that I would dearly love to try.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My wife's family are farmers. Not wealthy at all. Just enough to get by on. My wife is the only one married to a foreigner. They have never asked for help of any kind. I give my wife money to give to them. They would not accept it from me. 

• Like 5