Sharing between the family

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Wow this is more interesting now,

If i was not in the west working hard and saving harder for our future, i know we would never be able to go back to the Philippines to live,

I have a small budget but i do know if its managed right we shall be ok,

Its been said from certain members of my new family that it is my Wife's  turn to look after the older generation as we dont have children to support and other things too, i am sure many here would like to share if sharing was to happen,

Yes we are all different and what suits one may not suit another all i can go on about is what i am told by the family and what i see too,

We all will deal with whats in front of us the best we can ,

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

Wow this is more interesting now,

If i was not in the west working hard and saving harder for our future, i know we would never be able to go back to the Philippines to live,

Its been said from certain members of my new family that it is my Wife's  turn to look after the older generation as we dont have children to support and other things too, i am sure many here would like to share if sharing was to happen,

Yes we are all different and what suits one may not suit another all i can go on about is what i am told by the family and what i see too,

You take your retirement age, which Steve I think you might have said was 66 or 67. And at that point in time you have no choice you have to live on a fixed income. But your needs will drop a little as you get older.

Then you take your current age (my case was 56.....then 62). So you see how many years you need to bridge the gap to full retirement. Then you put a few caveats on health and unforeseen circumstances. I did not work from age 56 up to 62....then from 62 onwards I'm covered by pensions. Age 66, still going on. I spent a lot, had a few ups and downs but I did not have to work.  Bottom line, I have had one amazing rollercoaster ride since I turned 56, but I would not trade that off for continuing working and ending up with a massive pile of money.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, chris49 said:

You take your retirement age, which Steve I think you might have said was 66 or 67. And at that point in time you have no choice you have to live on a fixed income. But your needs will drop a little as you get older.

Then you take your current age (my case was 56.....then 62). So you see how many years you need to bridge the gap to full retirement. Then you put a few caveats on health and unforeseen circumstances. I did not work from age 56 up to 62....then from 62 onwards I'm covered by pensions. Age 66, still going on. I spent a lot, had a few ups and downs but I did not have to work.  Bottom line, I have had one amazing rollercoaster ride since I turned 56, but I would not trade that off for continuing working and ending up with a massive pile of money.

Thanks Chris, life's ups and downs but at the end of the day we are all here to enjoy what we can , when we can

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Thanks Chris, life's ups and downs but at the end of the day we are all here to enjoy what we can , when we can

So come on down All and Do it, you know it makes sense:whistling: :thumbsup: the rest we can all deal with as and when :Happy:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So come on down All and Do it, you know it makes sense:whistling: :thumbsup: the rest we can all deal with as and when :Happy:

Jack, very soon my friend, just another 13 pay days, i am sure, dont put that drink on ice just yet, i want to drink it not suck it when i get there

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, chris49 said:

Chris, we match up perfectly on the ages.  56 for me too, living on savings until 62.  On March 16th I will be 59.5 and can take some money from my Roth IRA to bridge me until 62 when I start SS.  No looking back and I am certainly enjoying the rollercoaster ride as well!  Now I gotta get back on the bike so I can kick your butt when I am 65 and you are 70!  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Others who do not live my life :cool: and know (as in have close ties with) the same people I know will never see things from my perspective. 

They will if you tell them to join this forum!  :biggrin:

• Like 4

davewe
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Carlo said:

my wife was asking what I am doing here and read the stuff.

She then simplified it down to a few sentences :

'We are brought up to share and care within the family, it is the only reliable structure we have in bad times. Family may have flaws and faults, but it is still the best and joyful system. As I saw (in Switzerland), you have replaced the family care with a government system of pensions and healthcare, but also pay a high price for this. At first I liked your system, but then I realized how cold the (family) atmosphere is there. I like it better in the Philippines, it is more joy to give directly to the needy in the family, than to pay the entire live into an anonymous government system. Anyway, this is how we are brought up, and it does not hurt. And abusive family members such as xx (quoting the black sheep) we also don't support."

I guess that explains a lot more than 1000 speculations :-)

The core sentence is more or less true, we in the West replaced ancient family values with a system of pensions, health Insurance and welfare for the poorest. (So did the evil commies in the former Eastern Block, joke) But of course we "pay" for that with a rather big percentage of our salaries.

And maybe also with a loss of closely knit "family joy".

You have a wise wife - congratulations!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

Wow this is more interesting abotnow,

Whilst this may be true Steve, there are a couple of things I believe you have overlooked.  Firstly,  it might be the family's opinion but is it Ems?  Secondly, you repeatedly indicate that you will have 'just enough'

to retire, that being the case, I would think that she would be the sole focus of your concerns.  She will be around long after you have checked out - my situation is the same and it is my sole focus. 

I have told my SO that is my position for as long as I am around, after I cash in the chips, she can do whatever and handle it whatever way she wishes.  I will achieved what I consider my obligations to SO.

Maybe factor this into the thinking, as has been said in these very good posts, they managed before you came along and will continue to do so if necessary!

• Like 3