Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It was in a mild state of tune and only making 310 horse powe

Mild state of tune? Get out of here, Geoff!!!!

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Mild state of tune? Get out of here, Geoff!!!!

It's all relative... most of the guys I knew with boats had seriously modified V8 motors in them :)

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

It's all relative... most of the guys I knew with boats had seriously modified V8 motors in them :)

Okay, Geoff... I give!... but 310 hp for a boat sounds outrageous - I want a ride in one!!!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Okay, Geoff... I give!... but 310 hp for a boat sounds outrageous - I want a ride in one!!!

Oh guys and gals, we have moved onto boats now :clapping_80_anim_gif:  

Ok, this would be mine if I liked the water Boats Dinghy.jpg Time I think to be fair to OMW :5795:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

So it is time to either open up a new topic for fast boats or finish this topic about fast cars?

Either way, see you later, guys, and have a great conversation!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So it is time to either open up a new topic for fast boats or finish this topic about fast cars?

Tom, it is the way a Forum works properly

4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Either way, see you later, guys, and have a great conversation!

Sour grapes.jpg Comes To mind :56da632e94212_1(60):

intrepid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jake said:

Hey Officer Danny (Intrepid),

What was your favorite police cruiser or fast boat, since you are a "harbormaster", coaster patrol, rescue and salvage?  

Hey Jake, When I first started working we had some older Dodge Polara on the back line that had the 440 Police Package of course.  It wasn’t very stylish but had a trunk almost the size of a small storage unit where you could put most any gear you wanted.  That car had a lot of power and was FAST for a full size car.  You could pass anything on the highway except a gas station.  The problem with it was off the highway it wasn’t easy to handle at high speeds.  The last several years I was working we used mostly the Ford Crown Victoria.  It was nice sized and very comfortable with bucket seats.  Pretty fast too.  Since that went out of production SUVs are the standard.
For water rescue we had a larger boat that had plenty of room but was slow.  Back in the late 80’s Kawaski developed the a little sports boat called the Hot Tub, later renamed Jet Mate.  We were given a prototype to test and evaluate.  It was small with just three seats.  The operator set in the center front and operated it with a joy stick.  On the trailer my first impressions were it was going to be too unstable for our needs.  Another time I was wrong.  This think is so stable it was almost impossible to flip over.  It run it hard and really gave it a work out for several months.  About the only thing we were able to was water log the engine once.  That was from going full speed forward to instant reverse.  Thing would do a nose dive and stop on a dime.  Then fill up with water, but still floating.  After the pump emptied the water, there was. A plug on the head to open and release the water and shortly thereafter it would restart and be on your way. 

For my pleasure use nothing compared to my 34' Sea Ray Sedan.  Wreck diving on the east coast cannot be beat.  When the motors were about done I had the boat shipped to my home were I refitted it with twin diesels which made it even better.  Due to longer range and better fuel economy.

images.jpg

CIMG1485.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Time I think to be fair to OMW

I'm fine with including our boats, ships and yachts, and related stories!  I'm a fan as well.  Growing up, my dad always had a boat, or as my mom said with a plaque on the wall, "a hole in the water that you pour money into".  :dance:

The main boat I remember growing up in the 60's was an 18 foot wooden (Chris Craft type) inboard with a V8.  It was named the Mary G. after my mom.  We did a lot of fishing around Santa Monica Bay and Catalina Island, in Southern California.  I remember being towed in several times!  I remember one other experience vividly.  We were at Catalina Island and my dad dropped me and another kid at a deserted beach to play.  We were probably 12.  Then they went out nearby for some fishing.  Well, they had an engine problem and drifted around the cliffs where we could not see them.  Then, while fixing the engine, the anchor got caught in heavy kelp.  They were missing from our view for hours and we thought they had left us!  We were starting to look for places to climb the cliff when they finally showed up to get us!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm fine with including our boats, ships and yachts, and related stories!

:whatever: You Topic mate

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, intrepid said:

34' Sea Ray Sedan.

Nice!  A big hole in the water!  My dad had a 27' cabin cruiser for a while but it was cramped.  You need at least something that size.  Did you trailer it?

Another one we had was a 24' fiberglass V8 inboard with cuddy cabin, and I think it was my favorite.  It was just the right length for our local southern california swells and could get over to Catalina very quickly.  If it was cold we kids could get in the cuddy cabin with lots of cushions, and bounce our way to Catalina.

That reminds me.  I was immune to sea sickness back then.  Not so much any more!

• Like 3