Corona Virus

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 3/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Yes as well as  Dengue and we have a Popular member here on the Forum that has it, Just Discharged from Hospital but still has the Lurgy  :whatever:

Still fighting the Dengue. Surprisingly the doctor who discharged me said... Dengue is as bad as Coronavirus.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Still fighting the Dengue. Surprisingly the doctor who discharged me said... Dengue is as bad as Coronavirus.

:unsure: Hence my Comment Jim :mellow:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

But it is not as contagious... fortunately...

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mike J said:

And here are the total numbers from the John Hopkins site.  118,101 confirmed worldwide, with 4,262 deaths.  That equates to a fatality rate of 3.06%. 

Thanks for the stats Mike.  I was wondering what percentage of fatality rate involve people with already compromised immune or chronic ailments like diabetes or respiratory complication.  I would assume that the elderly with those pre-conditioned ailments are likely to contribute more to those statistics.  

Respectfully Jake 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Its getting closer 

Just had an email and phone call from bosses

One of the  hospital wards that I cover has the virus,  I've been told only to attend if I get a p1 ( emergency call out ) 

I expect there to be a high fatality rate in this ward as it deals with rehabilitation of stroke victims and other types of rehab  theres no one under the age of 60 in this ward of about 50 patients 

• Sad 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Thanks for the stats Mike.  I was wondering what percentage of fatality rate involve people with already compromised immunity or chronic ailments like diabetes or respiratory complication.  I would assume that the elderly with those pre-conditioned ailments are likely to contribute more to those statistics.  

Respectfully Jake 

It has been covered in a few of these threads I believe, but almost all the deaths that have occurred have been age 60+.  

As a point of possible consolation, what is not clear right now is the number of people actually infected.  The stats are for people who have been diagnosed or suspected of having it, not the thousands of others walking around with the virus who think they just have a cold.  I suppose the true number could be estimated, but I don't know on what basis.  It stands to reason, to me at least, that if a true count of the infected were possible, then the death rate would be much lower than 3%.  On the Diamond Princess ship for example, it was only 1%.  That is why Italy's 6% mortality seems like a loony tunes number, they obviously have way more people with the virus than they know about.  

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Cato Institute has an interesting study out just last week:

https://www.cato.org/blog/misleading-arithmetic-covid-19-death-rates

cato.jpg

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

So there is much more of it here than they are letting on.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/254066-tourists-japan-singapore-south-korea-coronavirus-philippines

MANILA, Philippines – Three more visitors from Japan, Singapore, and South Korea tested positive for COVID-19 after visiting the Philippines, the Department of Health (DOH) confirmed on Wednesday, March 11.

“We have 6 confirmed cases of foreign nationals with history of travel to the Philippines,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said before the House committee on health as he briefed the panel on the status of the local outbreak of COVID -19, the disease caused by the new virus. (WATCH: House briefing on coronavirus status)

He only referred to the 3 cases as “nationals” and did not disclose their genders nor the specific dates of their Philippine visit.

Duque said one Japanese who traveled to the Philippines within the last 7 to 9 days is currently admitted in a medical facility in Japan.

A Singaporean also tested positive for COVID-19 after staying in the Philippines for 3 days.

South Korea uses app to monitor quarantined citizens – report
The app alerts officials if a citizen ventures out of their area of quarantine

PH coronavirus watch: Suspected cases per region, as of March 11, 2020
Based on the Department of Health's monitoring as of March 11, 2020

Duque said a South Korean with an “extensive” travel history in the Philippines also caught the novel coronavirus here. The South Korean patient stayed in the Philippines for two months.

To stay updated on news, advisories, and explainers, check out our special coverage page, “Novel Coronavirus Outbreak.”

There are now a total of 6 foreigners who visited the Philippines who would later test positive for COVID-19 after leaving the country.

Apart from the 3 new cases announced by Duque on Wednesday, the DOH previously confirmed that a Taiwanese man, a Japanese male, and a woman from Australia also caught the virus after traveling to the Philippines.

But both the DOH and the World Health Organization said the travel histories of the Taiwanese and Japanese cases indicate they might have gotten the virus outside the Philippines.

Locally, the country has recorded a total of 33 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 31 of whom are exhibiting mild to moderate symptoms and two in critical condition. (READ: LIST: Confirmed coronavirus cases in the Philippines as of March 10)

President Rodrigo Duterte has already declared a state of public health emergency.

As of Tuesday, the Philippines has recorded 33 confirmed COVID-19 cases. The confirmed cases included two patients who were in “critical condition” and the first death outside China – a Chinese tourist from Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak

Edited by Mike J
Mod - Posted article contents
  • Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

49 confirmed case in the Philippines now.  The latest 2 in Mindanao and Dumaguette. 

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic