Vaccine

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
The following is from NAS (Naval Air Station) Meridian facebook.  

"NAS Meridian has started administering the Moderna COVID vaccine shot to personnel onboard the base. #sinkcovid
The vaccine can NOT cause infection. You can NOT get COVID-19 from the vaccine. mRNA viruses have been in development for over a decade for other viruses like: influenza, Zika and HIV.
In the ongoing clinical trials, the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine has been shown to prevent COVID-19 symptoms following the 2 doses given 28 days apart. However, while the vaccines help to protect individuals from disease symptoms it is unknown at this time whether vaccinated people will still be able to transmit the virus as asymptomatic."

Look at what is said that the "vaccines help to protect individuals from disease symptoms".  Does not say that the vaccine will keep you from getting COVID 19, just hiding the symptoms.  Right now I think the success rate is 95%, so 5 out of a hundred can still get COVID 19 if that percent is correct.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Yeochief said:
 Right now I think the success rate is 95%, so 5 out of a hundred can still get COVID 19 if that percent is correct.

Which is a lot better than the 100 out of 100 where we are at the moment. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I wonder how being fit and healthy and catching covid compares to getting the vaccine protection wise!  Various studies have shown that certain individuals are prone to serious complications depending on their genetic make up. Thinking out the box maybe you should get tested to see if you are prone to complications before getting a new vaccine.

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

I've read it's possible to be asymptomatic some time after the inoculation. Not sure they really know one way or the other. 

Asymptomatic can still infect others.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Explorer said:

ndividuals vaccinated against COVID-19 in the US are instructed to continue using face mask, social distance and take PCR tests. What kind of vaccine this "Health Undersecretary" is talking about?

1 hour ago, Old55 said:

I've read it's possible to be asymptomatic some time after the inoculation. Not sure they really know one way or the other.

My money is on the herd concept. As more and more get vaccinated and they stop wearing masks, those who have yet to be vaccinated will get complacent and lazy and stop wearing theirs, feeling safe. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Asymptomatic can still infect others.

Yes, that's what I stated.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Explorer said:

Individuals vaccinated against COVID-19 in the US are instructed to continue using face mask, social distance and take PCR tests. What kind of vaccine this "Health Undersecretary" is talking about?

The vaccine protects the vaccinated person from serious disease (no matter which Covid vaccine you get) however some people will still catch Covid even after they're vaccinated (but they won't get seriously sick and their viral load will be a lot smaller).

What is unclear right now (because the safety testing wasn't testing for that) is whether these few people can pass  on the virus.

Until it is certain that they cannot (or that they can) then maintaining social distancing and masks is a precaution that does no harm and might well help (and in addition there is a small safety effect for the mask wearer).

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Various studies have shown that certain individuals are prone to serious complications depending on their genetic make up. Thinking out the box maybe you should get tested to see if you are prone to complications before getting a new vaccine.

It's not possible to test for that at this time because no one knows what genetic factors contribute to increased risk of developing serious disease rather than mild or asymptomatic.

There is some preliminary research looking into the issue but results are some way off.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The vaccine protects the vaccinated person from serious disease (no matter which Covid vaccine you get) however some people will still catch Covid even after they're vaccinated (but they won't get seriously sick and their viral load will be a lot smaller).

What is unclear right now (because the safety testing wasn't testing for that) is whether these few people can pass  on the virus.

Until it is certain that they cannot (or that they can) then maintaining social distancing and masks is a precaution that does no harm and might well help (and in addition there is a small safety effect for the mask wearer).

At what point, Geoff, do you think masks and social distancing will become unnecessary - the holy grail of herd immunity? I'm slightly concerned at how much faith we're putting in that concept, as I am at how reliant we are on the vaccines. I'm no anti-vaccer but I wonder if we know enough about the virus and the vaccines to be so sure they're the answer.

Then again, what other options do we have? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

At what point, Geoff, do you think masks and social distancing will become unnecessary - the holy grail of herd immunity? I'm slightly concerned at how much faith we're putting in that concept, as I am at how reliant we are on the vaccines. I'm no anti-vaccer but I wonder if we know enough about the virus and the vaccines to be so sure they're the answer.

Then again, what other options do we have? 

Hong Kong flu (in 1967-70) killed over a million people but over time it became an additional type of seasonal influenza as it gradually evolved to become less dangerous to it's host. 

It is common when viruses jump species that fatality is high but as immunity is aquired across the population and the virus adapts to become less fatal and often more infectious it becomes less dangerous.

That doesn't always happen (look at Polio) and it depends to a degree upon the rate of mutation of the virus.

But many immunioligists and research scientists believe that it's likely that SARS Cov-19 2 will over time evolve to become less dangerous and likely become a new seasonal virus (and people will likely take booster vaccines like they currently do with flu).

But that will take years (probably a decade or even more).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic