Vaccine

Explorer
Posted
Posted

According to this ABS/CBN report the new COVID-19 variant identified in South Africa can evade the antibodies that attack it in treatments using blood plasma from previously recovered patients, and may reduce the efficacy of the current line of vaccines.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/01/21/21/new-covid-19-variant-defeats-plasma-treatment-may-reduce-vaccine-efficacy-scientists

So new variants will require new and improved vaccines and I assume it will be seasonal like the flu vaccine and you will need an annual shot to maintain your "vaccine passport" in order?

• Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Explorer said:

According to this ABS/CBN report the new COVID-19 variant identified in South Africa can evade the antibodies that attack it in treatments using blood plasma from previously recovered patients, and may reduce the efficacy of the current line of vaccines.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/01/21/21/new-covid-19-variant-defeats-plasma-treatment-may-reduce-vaccine-efficacy-scientists

So new variants will require new and improved vaccines and I assume it will be seasonal like the flu vaccine and you will need an annual shot to maintain your "vaccine passport" in order?

Not necessarily - the UK variant had a different result to the SA one in that it is believed it will be "defeated" by the existing vaccine(s). 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Explorer said:

It's begining to look more like the flu virus which isn't surprising as they are variants of corona virus.  Interesting times ahead if they introduce a vaccine passport.  I'll run out of pages in my passport.

My only criticism of the report is when they use the word " MAY." Unless the reporter heard wrong I'd prefer if scientists use words like " DOES" or "DOESN'T". I may win the lottery, but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Again Terry, it's a newspaper report not a medical journal. The fact they include only the most salient points doesn't mean that's all they have.

Anyway, you may not trust the Israeli media but I'm sure you trust the BBC who are reporting today that the British Government are "looking seriously" at the efficacy rates based on the results of the Israeli study. I'm sure they are not doing this on the basis of a sensationalist newspaper article.

Let's be fair here, Terry, the report is hardly an outlier detailing findings which are contrary to the statements from the Pharmas and experts - the protocols are 2 jabs and efficacy rates are based on that. They have all cautioned against the UK decision as it's simply untested. 

Anyway, let's hope they are all wrong for the sake of the UK and the rest of us who will benefit from the alternative protocol.

Of course it's just a newspaper report HK with a smattering of salient points you can find clearly and prominently displayed, matter of factly added as a footnote or follow another link depending on the authors opinion it would seem.

As to the Israeli vaccination programme, scientists governments and pharmaceutical companies from everywhere will be keeping a close eye on it. They are key in gathering data to assess effectiveness of the vaccine in the general population

In a similar report from the BBC again it's mentioned that early efficacy after first vaccine bears out the results from clinical trials which improves as time goes by

Even at 30% initial efficacy after 10 days which is the lower estimate. That's 70% presenting symptoms ranging from mild to death. Would be interesting to see the percentage reduction in the severity also

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It's begining to look more like the flu virus which isn't surprising as they are variants of corona virus.  Interesting times ahead if they introduce a vaccine passport.  I'll run out of pages in my passport.

My only criticism of the report is when they use the word " MAY." Unless the reporter heard wrong I'd prefer if scientists use words like " DOES" or "DOESN'T". I may win the lottery, but I doubt it.

It's been generally accepted from the beginning snowy that this virus would mutate and eventually evade current Vaccines.

Sir Patrick Vallence said as recently as yesterday on TV covid vaccination programmes would become a regular thing like to flu jab

Pharmaceutical companies are saying they can tweak the vaccine in a couple of weeks to combat new variants

• Like 3

Terry P
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Explorer said:

Vaccines will have to be adjusted therefore there will be regular vaccination programmes like the flu

It's said from several studies of the south African variant that it has the ability to reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine in lab conditions they are still not sure in the general population

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted

A news item has just appeared in the enquirer newsfeed regarding vaccine passports. Looks more and more like the Philippines are going for it

Maybe someone else can post it

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, TerryP said:

A news item has just appeared in the enquirer newsfeed regarding vaccine passports. Looks more and more like the Philippines are going for it

Maybe someone else can post it

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1383971/govt-to-issue-covid-19-vaccine-passports-doh

Jake
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I will assume this mandate is for Filipinos travelling aboard?  What is the latest restriction for incoming travelers?  

Explorer
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

I will assume this mandate is for Filipinos travelling aboard?  What is the latest restriction for incoming travelers?  

According to the proposal it will be used for -

International and domestic travel.

Local checkpoint and quarantine.

Opening of and access to some business establishments.

Public gatherings (churches?)

Personally I don't believe this will fly, but sometimes I am shaking my head reading here posters who are cheer leading for the "vaccine passport"... be careful what you wish for...

I will continue taking my vitamins (C,D, Zinc), maintain good physical condition instead of yearly injection of experimental substance, our bodies are designed to fight off viruses.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic