Annoying Local Behavior

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Schools in the United States teach using Standard American English.  This is also known as Academic English.  Outside of the classroom, Street English is spoken, which includes 10 distinct dialects.  Examples of dialects include Hawaiian pidgin, Louisiana creole and Ebonics.

I know, my point was the subject he learnt at school was English.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

This is correct.  You have Canadian English, American English, Queen's English, Philippine English, Nigerian English, etc.  At one time, a little girl explained to me that she did not speak English, she spoke Australian.

It's really not correct - he said he spoke American, not American English.  This is clearly stated in my post.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I wonder what Dictionary they use? 

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I wonder what Dictionary they use? 

Oxford?

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jimeve said:

Oxford?

Just google.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Going off topic a bit but whilst in Lakewood, Washington state I was ordering some food and the guy taking the order commented that my accent was " Cool" where is it from?  I told him Scotland and he asked if I had ever been there. :bonk:

Should have told him; "Not yet, but you can just order the accent off the internet".  :hystery:

• Haha 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

To continue the theme of annoying behaviour, my god this could be a never ending story.

Yesterday in the SM we needed to use the escalator to go up to the next floor but blocking the way was a family of five just standing there not knowing where they were going, so I just threw my hands in the air and barged on through them, I turned around and they were still just standing there.

But there is more.

On occasions we take home a treat for some of our better employees, today it was Jollibee, so to the drive through we go, of course I forgot it is pay week and the order was incomplete, so we had to line up in the drive through with everyone else blocking the exit, not our fault.
There was a car behind us wanting to get out, and typically of these impatient people started honking the horn, expecting me to turn into a helicopter and get out of his way, as he drove past he glared at me, so I gave him the middle finger straight up and erect.

Any suggestions from you folks on what you would do in the situation?

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Any suggestions from you folks on what you would do in the situation?

Don't have a good suggestion on what to do, but I would not be giving the finger to a Filipino under any circumstances. 

• Like 5

Viking
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I had a good carpenter doing some work for us, but he got a very good permanent job working for the port here.  His English was above average.  So we found a new guy and as far as his work, so far, I like him better.  Relatively tidy for a Filipino, and he uses masking tape for painting!!!!!!!!

But the English!  He has done a few things wrong after I explained to him what I wanted.  No biggies but usually it is more work.  I told my wife and she said "you have to make him understand". I try to make sure he understands, using hands and gestures, but he always says "Yes boss" to everything.  When possible I have my wife talk to him but that is not always possible.

Yesterday, I needed a block of wood for something we were going to work on together and I remembered that there was a 4 X 4 X 1 foot lying down next to our trash cans, where we use it to hold the can lid on.  From our terrace, I pointed at it and said "Can you get that block of wood and bring it here?".  "Yes boss".  A minute later my wife joins me on the terrace, watching him carry the trash can up to where we dump green waste, and when he returned, no wood block.  My wife told him what I wanted and we all had a laugh!  He's good guy, with bad English!

We also have a couple of guys working for us now, they are good but sometimes it is very hard to get them to understand the way I want things done. I don't know how many times I tried to explain to them that they should paint the c- purlins before they put them up, since it's a lot easier. They say yes sir, but still speed half a day climbing like monkeys painting them after it is up. I don't get it, hahaha.

Luckily for me, the salary is affordable, unlike in Sweden. Here one week of work cost the same as I would have to pay for one HOUR in Sweden!!!

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I would not be giving the finger to a Filipino under any circumstances. 

Agree, you might wind up getting shot! Instead I just smile and give a hearty wave (with all my fingers, lol). Can’t be accused of any wrong doing if you’re just being friendly, 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2