Annoying Local Behavior

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Just wait until you deal with someone that speaks fluent American. :whistling:

https://fb.watch/jhpj4AQTuS/?mibextid=1YhcI9R

True story - an American neighbour of mine stated in all sincerity that he spoke American rather than English and that Mexicans spoke Mexican and not Spanish.  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

True story - an American neighbour of mine stated in all sincerity that he spoke American rather than English and that Mexicans spoke Mexican and not Spanish.  

Ask him what subject he was taught at school that dealt with his written and spoken language :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Patryk
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Going off topic a bit but whilst in Lakewood, Washington state I was ordering some food and the guy taking the order commented that my accent was " Cool" where is it from?  I told him Scotland and he asked if I had ever been there. :bonk:

During my stay in Edinburgh i used to work with some guys from Glasgow. It tooks me long time to adjust to their accent, anyway we just passed some other group talking about someting I didn't get so I asked Glasgow guys what did they say, and as answer i heard " we have no clue, it seems they are from Newcastle" :hystery:

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Ask him what subject he was taught at school that dealt with his written and spoken language :smile:

School - you think he went to school? :smile:

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

School - you think he went to school? :smile:

OUCH.jpg :mocking:

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Patryk said:

During my stay in Edinburgh i used to work with some guys from Glasgow. It tooks me long time to adjust to their accent, anyway we just passed some other group talking about someting I didn't get so I asked Glasgow guys what did they say, and as answer i heard " we have no clue, it seems they are from Newcastle" :hystery:

Many years ago me and the wife was shopping in Gateshead here in England , as the wife went up to the counter to pay for her goods the chap behind the counter asked if she would be interested in buying a CD they had a promotion on , well her face when he spoke , she looked at me then back at him then me again and said what did he say , well we all laugh and I tight arse Steve refused his offer of the purchase .

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

This is correct.  You have Canadian English, American English, Queen's English, Philippine English, Nigerian English, etc.  At one time, a little girl explained to me that she did not speak English, she spoke Australian.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Schools in the United States teach using Standard American English.  This is also known as Academic English.  Outside of the classroom, Street English is spoken, which includes 10 distinct dialects.  Examples of dialects include Hawaiian pidgin, Louisiana creole and Ebonics.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Viking said:

Many people don't understand as good as we think. They don't really answer the question, that's why we get so confused, hahaha.

I had a good carpenter doing some work for us, but he got a very good permanent job working for the port here.  His English was above average.  So we found a new guy and as far as his work, so far, I like him better.  Relatively tidy for a Filipino, and he uses masking tape for painting!!!!!!!!

But the English!  He has done a few things wrong after I explained to him what I wanted.  No biggies but usually it is more work.  I told my wife and she said "you have to make him understand". I try to make sure he understands, using hands and gestures, but he always says "Yes boss" to everything.  When possible I have my wife talk to him but that is not always possible.

Yesterday, I needed a block of wood for something we were going to work on together and I remembered that there was a 4 X 4 X 1 foot lying down next to our trash cans, where we use it to hold the can lid on.  From our terrace, I pointed at it and said "Can you get that block of wood and bring it here?".  "Yes boss".  A minute later my wife joins me on the terrace, watching him carry the trash can up to where we dump green waste, and when he returned, no wood block.  My wife told him what I wanted and we all had a laugh!  He's good guy, with bad English!

• Haha 3